+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Induction starting with insertion of a balloon catheter into the cervix

I'm booked for an induction due to complications with my twin pregnancy next week. The hospital has said the plan will be for a Foley catheter to be inserted into the cervix then a balloon blown up and it stays there overnight to prepare the cervix.
    I hadn't heard of this before and was curious as to people's experiences with it.

Thanks
    Reviews

Subbing.

Sorry I've got no experience with it, but I'm 25+3 high risk pregnancy and been told I'll be induced early with a balloon catheter. Apparently they can't use the gels/drip on me as I've had a previous c-section

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have had this done, it was uncomfortable to get it put in but once it was in it was great.It got me to 3 cms dilated and the they broke my waters

Thanks
    Reviews

Is that the one where they inflate the balloon with water? If so then yes, I had the when I was induced with DD.

They tried the gel first day, that didn't work. So the following day suggested this and I agreed. They said that it would be uncomfortable and offered gas while they did the procedure, lots of doctors and midwives came to watch as it was new to the hosptial so that was a bit weird!

I hate to be negative but I wish I could have heard other people's experiences with it before I agreed. I found it to be very painful and uncomfortable. God was I sucking down that gas! In saying that tho I was very sensitive whilst pregnant with DD so that could have been why.

It was ok once it was in, just felt weird cause you have two tubes hanging out :-/ but I could walk around and everything. It had to be left in for 12 hours and I had very mild contractions through out that time. When they removed it I was 1cm so it did work, by the next morning I was already 3cms. They then broke my waters and put me on the drip. DD was born 5 hours later.

So yes it did the job but it was very painful to put in. I wish I could say it didn't hurt and im sorry if you didn't want the honesty. But i don't regret doing it.

Thanks
    Reviews

Hi - congrats on the twins

I was induced with a foley catheter. I went in to the hospital about 8pm and the catheter was inserted - not painful - just uncomfortable. You can still move around after it's inserted (you just have the end of the catheter looped up in your undies) so it does feel a tad awkward going to the bathroom etc...

During the night I had mild cramping but nothing overly painful. In the morning the midwife checked the catheter by giving it a little tug - I had dilated quite a bit so the balloon end popped out. I think I was about 4cm (She said that if I hadn't dilated enough they would have taped the catheter to my leg to put a bit more pressure on the cervix and checked again later).

As I was dilated the midwife broke my waters and popped me on IV cyntocin (spelling?). I had monitors placed on by belly to check on bubs - luckily this was wireless so I could get out of bed and move about.

Contractions started pretty much as soon as my waters where broken and got stronger once I was hooked up to the drip. From the time my waters were broken till DS was born was 5.45hrs. Fabulous

If you have any other question ask away...

Wish you all the best!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have been induced twice first time was with the gel second time was with catheter. The procedure didn't hurt at all except whilst it was in and I was lying on my back I was experiencing tightenings but they stopped as soon as I lay on my side. The balloon fell out over night as I had dilated enough for them to break my waters. It was more unusual/uncomfortable than painful. I was induced both times at 37 + 2 for medical reasons and both labours progressed well first dd1 was born within 4 hrs of waters breaking dd2 was with catheter and was within the hr of waters breaking.

Thanks
    Reviews

I was induced with the foley's catheter. Was rather uncomfortable being inserted and I sucked on gas while they did it, but was hardly noticeable after that. Didn't do much for me but dilated my cervix just enough to break my waters and then use the gel. In the end my induction wasn't successful though and I had a c-section. Good luck!