+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

Default Glucose 1hr test and eating

I have my GD 1hr glucose drink test tomorrow, it is in the afternoon and i was told no fasting but to watch what i eat, no sugary, carby things.
    My question is what would be examples of 'safe' foods i could eat for breakfast/lunch that won't have much affect on the test - i really don't want to fail because i ate the wrong thing as i struggle with the 2hr test.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Go low GI like porridge/muesli for breakfast and perhaps a multigrain sandwich with chicken and salad for lunch. I can't remember what I ate with DD's but I passed, I probably had something like cereal for breakfast and the test was just before I had lunch.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Hollywood For This Useful Post:

MothersMilk  (15-11-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Re: Glucose 1hr test and eating

Quote Originally Posted by Hollywood View Post
    Go low GI like porridge/muesli for breakfast and perhaps a multigrain sandwich with chicken and salad for lunch. I can't remember what I ate with DD's but I passed, I probably had something like cereal for breakfast and the test was just before I had lunch.
    Yeah that sounds good. Maybe give the pathology place a call in the morning, they should have a list of foods you should stick to.

I'm a pathology collector and where I work we don't have guidelines about what patients having the glucose challenge should eat. Everywhere has different policies.

Sent from my GT-I9100T using BubHub

5. The Following User Says Thank You to cluckcluck For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    They don't have guidelines either, my midwife just mentioned that it would be best to avoid high sugar/carbs as it may cause a positive (this happened to me last pregnancy and i then needed the 2hr test, which i passed).
    I just find the drink so sickening that i wanted to ask what foods would be best to stick to as i wasn't sure and forgot to ask the midwife last visit.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Re: Glucose 1hr test and eating

That makes it hard then. I'd just stick to low gi foods like wholemeal bread, vita wheats, porridge etc for breakfast and a wholemeal sandwich with lean meat and salad for lunch. Also watch what sort of fruit you eat as some contain more sugar than others. If you google low gi/diabetic diets it should give you some other ideas.

Good luck and I hope you pass

Sent from my GT-I9100T using BubHub

8. The Following User Says Thank You to cluckcluck For This Useful Post: