Closed Thread
Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts

Default Re: Preschool food policies

With cake & eggs wouldnt suggesting an egg-free or egg-replacement recipe.

I think (pre) schools are also responsible for going "please dont bring xyz because we currently have children who would have a severe reaction attending - but HERE'S a big long list of HEALTHY alternatives" not just "muesli bars" (which even I've fallen for accidentally buying bars that contained nuts! Whoops!)

Sent from my GT-I9300 using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Cleigh View Post
    I still send my kid to school with nuts and peanut butter. Im sorry but its not my childs fault someone else is allergic. If they dont want a reaction, dont touch it. Im not going to make my son miss out on foods he likes just because other children arent allowed it.
    Please tell me you're joking?

Witwicky is offline A closed mouth gathers no foot.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Preschool food policies

Quote Originally Posted by BlissedOut View Post
    I'm sure she's joking... right?

No one would happily risk another kids life over their kid missing out, surely?
    I think she is either joking or is genuinely ignorant of the seriousness of anaphylaxis.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Preschool food policies

I still send my kid to school with nuts and peanut butter. Im sorry but its not my childs fault someone else is allergic. If they dont want a reaction, dont touch it. Im not going to make my son miss out on foods he likes just because other children arent allowed it.
    It is attitudes like this that make me scared about when my child reaches pre school age. She has a severe peanut allergy and could have an anaphylactic reaction with very serious consequences. I really hope you are joking in your post.

5. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to LilPetal For This Useful Post:

intruderalert1234  (13-11-2012),ItWasntMe  (13-11-2012),Kiplusthree  (14-11-2012),Maia  (13-11-2012),Mulva  (13-11-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Can understand the nut thing - I think it's also because of bullying and the potential for kids to chase/attack someone that they know is allergic with a peanut butter sandwich etc and not understand the consequences.

The junk food etc, jeez nanny/police state. Let the parents pack what they want, I'm sure a homemade cupcake is much healthier than packaged foods.

What happens if the teachers don't approve of any of the food that the kids take and they're not allowed to eat any of it and go home hungry??

Thanks
    Reviews
    And how do you think your son would feel if he witnessed one of his friends dying right in front of him? Think he'd rather go without nuts to avoid such trauma??

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think it should be the parents choice as to what they bring. I do believe in the banning of nuts and other things if there is a child with an ANAPHALACTIC reaction at the school (not just a reaction that causes hives). I don't see how it's that hard not to send your child to school without nuts?

To be honest I would happily not send my child to school with nuts but other than that it will be my choice what they get in their lunch box. If the school wants to have the children eat specific things then they can provide the food.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by wannawannabe View Post
    Can understand the nut thing - I think it's also because of bullying and the potential for kids to chase/attack someone that they know is allergic with a peanut butter sandwich etc and not understand the consequences.
    Just being spoken to by someone who has recently eaten peanuts can trigger a reaction in many, or particles left over on hands or the table surface (wiping doesn't get them all).

When that reaction can easily result in death, it's just not worth it to send your kids with anything including nuts, especially when you've specifically been asked not to.

It's disgustingly selfish.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Re: Preschool food policies

I worked in a docs funded pre school and we had to follow docs rules or got in trouble,

The banana bread maybe because if the parent doesn't provide a recipe it may contain almonds plus banana bread is high in sugar ,

But allowing shapes makes NO sense.

We had a rule that food had to be under a certain amount of salt / sugar / fat per 100 grams to be allowed,

Fruit in juice was fine in syrup not, lite sakata crackers were fine not lite were not.

It is a huge pain in the **** as a worker as you have to remove the food (providing the child has other food) and that upsets the children , we also had to deal with angry parents constantly saying my child only eats peanut butter / drinks milk / cordial.

The nut thing we also enforced and i fully support that, okay so your child LIKES peanut butter and a child shouldn't be touching your child's lunch but what about the child who reacts from unvisable fragments of nuts? A smear on a.child's unwashed hands could kill another child (yes i worked with a child who's allergy was that severe)

Sent from my LG-E400f using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Well my kids are in school. It is nut free. I don't send nuts they have plenty of time to eat them at home. There was a little girl in my DDs class who was very allergic to kiwi fruit and eggs so we were then asked not to bring those either. This little girl has left now but we all obliged.

This class is a beautiful class, my DD is intolerant to colours 100-110 so if any of the mothers are bringing in cake for a birthday and it is yellow they have made one with a different colour icing. I was blown away with this gesture!

In my opinion teachers should not take out things from lunch boxes unless the canteen is 100% healthy! With the exception of foods that a child may be allergic too eg nuts, nut bars etc

Our school has guidelines but neither of my two girls have had anything taken out of their lunch boxes. P