Closed Thread
Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Preschool food policies

What sort of policies does your preschool have about what food and drink you can and can't send?

DS isn't preschool age yet but a few friends were talking today about out local preschool's food policy and I don't get it (neither do the parents today, some of whom are on the committee)

One mum was saying she sent banana bread and that wasn't allowed, a muesli bar was suggested as an appropriate alternative. And shapes are fine to send?????

From reading other threads (that I can't find atm) most preschool's don't like packaged food but this one seems to prefer it.

Does anyone know if some state/national guidelines for preschool nutrition?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts

Default Re: Preschool food policies

What?! No homemade banana cake but muesli bar & shapes fine?

Maybe contact the preschool, find out what their rules are and if that's true I'd be asking what exactly is that based on?!?

Sent from my GT-I9300 using BubHub

Gothel is offline Skip the drama, stay with Mama!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    We can't send eggs or nuts because there is an anaphylactic child in one of the classes.

I would just outright refuse to bring a muesli bar or shapes. DD1 is dairy allergic and intolerant of wheat and additives and can't have any packaged food. If the teachers complained about it too bad. They can offer guidelines but I don't think they can override a parents instructions on what a child can be fed. How could they, when so many children have allergies now?

I don't know about guidelines, maybe someone else will come in with more information.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Im still finding out about all this at my sons school. I sent him with banana piklettes and they got sent home and he was told not to eat them. I know its mostly all healthy eating things now so I dont understand why shapes are allowed lol I send him with a bag of school approved chips BUT he hardly eats them because he has to eat his fruit at recess first and his sandwhich at lunch before he can eat the chips. He doesnt eat much so he hardly finishes anything.

No nuts because of the high allergy, which i find annoying because other children shouldnt be touching my sons lunch and he loves peanut butter and dried fruit and nuts as a snack.

i know they are allowed to bring a small milk drink if they want but need water bottle as well.

I find it stupid realy because the stuff they sell in the canteen is almost always worse than what I would send him with but I guess because they are selling it, it makes it ok. Just not if I send him to school with it...

Gothel is offline Skip the drama, stay with Mama!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Oh and I have actually heard of policies like this before, I am in a couple of food-allergy forums and its unbelievable the food policies some pre-schools try to enforce.

Maybe if this is true of your preschool you can nominate yourself for the committee and get that policy reviewed? around here all the preschools are run by parent committees so these policies will be drawn up by parents.

Thanks
    Reviews

Luckily my girls daycare provides all food but her last one didnt.

Their rules were no peanuts & no chocolate/junk food.

I occasionally sent her with banana bread or muffins which was always ok.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts

Default Re: Preschool food policies

Oh yeah..... if a child has anaphylactic reaction to eggs I get no cake.

I'd want a very detailed list then of what you can bring. So hard.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

I was talking to the pre school teacher where DS will be going next year about their policy - she said nuts are now banned at all schools ( which I have no problem with) and they will only ask parents to ban other food if a child has a very bad allergy in that class (which she said none do at present )
    They have no canteen or supply any food but do have a very strict food policy that no packet or junk food of any kind is allowed and only water to drink ( I also have no problem with this) and if a child say brings a packet of shapes in they ask them
    To put it back in their bag and eat it at home

Thanks
    Reviews
    I still send my kid to school with nuts and peanut butter. Im sorry but its not my childs fault someone else is allergic. If they dont want a reaction, dont touch it. Im not going to make my son miss out on foods he likes just because other children arent allowed it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    From my experience schools promote healthy eating guidelines in relation to what parents send. Our school/kindy have brain break (fruit time, recess and lunch. These guidelines are also followed through with the healthy schools canteen guideline where items are identified by Green, Amber & Red foods and there must be a balance of top heavy green, some Amber and I know in SA, food/drinks identified as Red can only be offered a few times a year. Say your sports day.
    I amazed about the banana bread and the pancakes. Maybe it is ill informed staff who do not read packaging and see the sugar/salt content in some of their suggestions.
    Alergies are a hard one but will be determined by individual school policy and need.
    Just speak with your pre school and discuss any of your concerns.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast