Closed Thread
Page 9 of 18 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by hollychops View Post
    Scaremongering news article. There are so many factors that contribute to tooth decay. S.mutans can cause tooth decay, so can other bacteria. S.mutans is normal flora in the mouth of most people. Not an issue if you don't have any other predisposing factors.

Source: I'm a microbiologist.
    Yep, which is why I said it can contribute. It's not scaremongering, it's a fact. Probably unlikely, but still a fact. It certainly doesn't deter me into not kissing my kids on the lips as I don't think the risk is significant enough, but just wanted to explain the reason why some people say it's 'germy'.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Do you kiss your kids on the mouth?

Quote Originally Posted by CMF View Post
    Yep, which is why I said it can contribute. It's not scaremongering, it's a fact. Probably unlikely, but still a fact. It certainly doesn't deter me into not kissing my kids on the lips as I don't think the risk is significant enough, but just wanted to explain the reason why some people say it's 'germy'.
    Oh ok. So you don't find the risk significant but "technically you shouldn't" kiss your kids on the mouth?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by hollychops View Post
    Oh ok. So you don't find the risk significant but "technically you shouldn't" kiss your kids on the mouth?
    *sigh* I didn't say no one should kiss their child on the lips, I was just giving info on why some people don't. It's like saying "technically you shouldn't eat ham while pg" but then most people make their own decisions about what they feel comfortable with and for many people they decide that the risk isn't significant enough to warrant stopping doing it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    I generally kiss cheeks and foreheads and stuff, but I don't really care. I'm not fussy. I don't like slobbery toddlers kissing my mouth, cos saliva grosses me out (I dislike dribble as well... I just don't want it anywhere on me if I can avoid it... lol).

But she's 7, she doesn't dribble or slobber... so she can kiss my mouth if she wants to. It won't be the place I automatically place a kiss, but if she wants to do it there, I won't have an issue with it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Seriously, unless someone is sticking the tongue in - get over it. It is intended as an innocent exchange of affection and that is it. There is no sinister or sick motive behind it. If it is inappropriate for you then that is one thing, but that doesn't mean that it is inappropriate in itself. What is inappropriate is people telling other people that the way they parent 'makes them sick' or words to that effect.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Witchypoo For This Useful Post:

halloweendee (12-11-2012),peanutmonkey (12-11-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews

DD is 9 1/2 and we still give each other kisses on the lips, absolutely nothing sexual or disgusting about it and I will stop when she doesn't feel comfortable with it but for now I couldn't care less what any person or professional says, no one is hurt by it.

I do however have issues with her Aunty who has coldsores kissing her on the mouth or close too, first hand I know you do not need any symptoms for this virus to be contagious and I would hate for DD to catch it, I however did not catch it on the mouth so will continue to kiss her there.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Re: Do you kiss your kids on the mouth?

We are lip kissers. I still kiss my dad on the lips, mostly cause its the only part of his face that isn't hairy.
    Cheek kisses are reserved for friends, lips are for family.

Sent from my U8860 using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews

Yes, every day! It has got me thinking though... I kiss my parents Hello/goodbye etc but not on the lips. I wonder if it will change when DD is older...

Thanks
    Reviews

I kiss DS on the lips, he's 17 months. So does DH. I don't see anything wrong with it AT ALL.

When he's older and he doesn't want me to anymore then I will stop.

Thanks
    Reviews

We all kiss on the lips. I think you do more damage not kissing than you ever could by kissing.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Laurenk For This Useful Post:

halloweendee (12-11-2012),Happy2be3 (12-11-2012)

Closed Thread
Page 9 of 18 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast