Do you have any recipes that have been passed down in your family? Please share!
I have two recipes that have been passed down - Dutch salad (I'm sure thats not the actual name of it, but my grandma on mums side used to have this often as a child in Holland, and we just refer to it as Dutch salad), and mushroom meatballs (passed down from my nan on dads side). They have been adapted a bit, but basically remain the same.
(this one is a family favourite!)
- 8 or so potatoes
- jar of mayo
- large tin of salmon/tuna
- small tin of mackerel
- small jar red cocktail onions
- half jar of bread and butter cucumbers
- 3 or 4 chopped shallots
- 6 boiled eggs, chopped
- can of peas and carrots (optional)
- Cut potatoes into small chunks and boil til soft.Drain and leave to cool.
- Add jar of mayo and mash.
- Stir in rest of ingredients, adding fish last.
- leave in fridge overnight to chill (do not serve warm)
(Really good in winter!)
- 8 or so potatoes, diced
- 500g mince
- can of Campbell's mushroom soup
- large bag of mushrooms, sliced
- bacon pieces
- 3 or 4 shallots, sliced
- Pre-heat oven to 180
- Form mince into small meatballs, spread evenly on a shallow baking dish
- Fill in all the gaps between the meatballs with diced potato.
- Evenly cover with bacon pieces, shallots, and then mushrooms. Season with a bit of salt.
- In a mixing bowl, mix the mushroom soup with half a tin of milk
- Pour this mix evenly over the baking dish.
- Cook in oven uncovered for 1 hour, or until potatoes in centre of the dish are soft.
- Serve hot
I realize that I don't have precise measurements - I've been cooking these for years, so I just kind of add the ingredients until it looks right lol.
Interested to see the different kinds of recipes that have been passed down
+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 4 of 4
07-11-2012 11:56 #1
Passed-down family recipes?
The Following User Says Thank You to ~ElectricPink~ For This Useful Post:
23-11-2012 18:06 #2
Both recipes sound delish!I dont really have any passed down recipes but keen to see others
15-11-2016 08:58 #3
Bumping for any one who wants to contribute?
15-11-2016 17:12 #4
By financialhelpplease in forum Recipes & Lunchbox IdeasReplies: 4Last Post: 13-02-2012, 18:07
Be In BlossomWe offer physiotherapy run pregnancy Pilates, pregnancy Aerobics, and Mummy Pilates & Baby Massage classes with a ...
LATESTToilet training: when is the best time to start?Why it is OK for your child to be differentWhat is a blessing way? How is it different to a baby shower?
POPULARWhen can I start giving chores to my children?New baby nursery checklist – a guide to newborn essentialsWhat to pack for labour and hospital – a checklist
FORUMS - chatting now ...
Chickenpox after being immunised?Pro-Vaccination
IVF babies due Sep/Oct/Nov 2017pregnancy and babies through IVF
April/May TTC group chatConception & Fertility General Chat
any one else get a bfp after laparoscopy?Endometriosis Chat
Same sex parents or parents to be chat!Same Sex Parents
Bbt chart thread #8Conception & Fertility General Chat
Dr Antony Lighten - Appreciation threadpregnancy and babies through IVF
Awesome Mums of Autistic kids-how many of us are there (#3)????????Parents of Children with Special Needs
TTC - Could you have severe endometriosis and not realise??Conception issues & ttc