+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default The saga continues...and still heartbroken :(

So went to the second pediatrician last Thursday and he said he thinks DS has got ADHD. He shrugged off all the aggression that DS is displaying saying that ADHD children are like cavemen. Today DS got angry, and got around the teacher and slapped a girl in the face which has left a bruise. The class had to be evacuated because of my son. I am so hurt and embarassed and worried about my son. The principal mentioned in passing that parents have said that he should be in a special school. He made the teacher cry. I don't know what to do. Running the gauntlet of professionals and hoping that someone knows what they are talking about is exhausting.

A child who hurts other children is not easy tolerated and shouldn't be. But he's my child so what do I do??

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    huge hugs Hedda, I can only imagine how you feel and it must be heartbreaking.

Can the school submit a report to the pead? Maybe some supporting evidence might help?

As for the other parents...i can understand their angst (as it sounds like you can too)...is there any way you can let them know you are going through the diagnosis process and are trying as hard as you can to get your boy the help he needs? Does the school have an aid that can work with him? Is there anyone who could volunteer to be his support person at school?

again, hugs for you.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Sorry no advise but I couldn't read and run.

I hope you get the advise your looking for to set you on a new productive path with finding a diagnosis.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Hedda,

My DS4 is a little 'different' to the norm and is getting some assesments done as everyone has a different opinion. What I have found very interesting so far is to have a 2 hr OT Sensory assesment done. I have yet to get the feedback and scoring (the teacher and you have to fill out forms then there is a 1.5hr assesment with 30mins talking to parents). Just from what she has said from the assesment she sounds like she has a good grasp on what my DS 'has' and needs. I have gone for a private assesment. Not the cheapest, but my healthcare covers some and it truly is worth it. It goes back to the Paed with reccomendations (the Paed referred us). We haven't had to,but have you been referred to a pysch? Or had an Ed Pysch in the class?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    No real advise here either.

Is it a developmental paed? Has the school filled in questionares yet?

One of my girls was in a class for her FYOS and the class was evacuated a few times. Fortunately the teacher was able to read the warning signs before things escalated too much most of the time.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you

I couldn't read and not post I'm so sorry, I have no advice but wanted to send you some hugs

Thanks
    Reviews
    So far we have had OT assessment that found nothing, two paeds-one that said nothing was wrong, the other saying he has ADHD. (The school sent lots of obs and a connor report which is apparently testing for ADHD so when he saw that I don't think he looked at anything else), and 7 sessions with a psychologist who spent 40 mins out of every session rehashing about beh management strategies. So still none the wiser.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Have you thought of working with a naturopath and looking at food issues?

We have a friend of the family who as a kindy student, would get in aggressive states and kick students etc. He would try and harm is brother and sister, it was scary to watch. There was several things cut from his diet and it made a huge difference. From memory (child is now 12) the things were, salicylates, sugar, red coloured foods (including tomato, strawberries and red apples) and ALL artificial colours, flavours, preservatives (so anything identified by a number) on an ingredients list.

The process was extensive and it included an elimination diet to identify the triggers.

There was no name for his 'issue' just a solution.

Also, I have a cousin in law that has SPD, his behaviour was similar in symptoms as ADHD, but not identical, he is now controlled with diet and learning techniques. His mum is so passionate she is becoming a special ed teachers aid, he is in a regular school with support.

I have seen first hand how hard these situations are and my thoughts really are with you, hope you find some answers soon.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to PR2bMum For This Useful Post:

lovemybabies!  (06-11-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by PR2bMum View Post
    Have you thought of working with a naturopath and looking at food issues?

We have a friend of the family who as a kindy student, would get in aggressive states and kick students etc. He would try and harm is brother and sister, it was scary to watch. There was several things cut from his diet and it made a huge difference. From memory (child is now 12) the things were, salicylates, sugar, red coloured foods (including tomato, strawberries and red apples) and ALL artificial colours, flavours, preservatives (so anything identified by a number) on an ingredients list.

The process was extensive and it included an elimination diet to identify the triggers.

There was no name for his 'issue' just a solution.

Also, I have a cousin in law that has SPD, his behaviour was similar in symptoms as ADHD, but not identical, he is now controlled with diet and learning techniques. His mum is so passionate she is becoming a special ed teachers aid, he is in a regular school with support.

I have seen first hand how hard these situations are and my thoughts really are with you, hope you find some answers soon.
    Yep we have DS on the Failsafe diet and we have found that colours, flavours and preservatives.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hedda For This Useful Post:

halloweendee  (06-11-2012),lovemybabies!  (06-11-2012)

hakuna matata is offline The artist formerly know as babyhopeful
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    So sorry to hear this

Honestly, as a teacher he sounds exactly like a student in my class. Myself and parents were at wits end and other parents threatened to pull their children out of the school. He was diagnosed with ADHD and has been medicated and is a different child behaviour wise. He is pleasant to be around, uses manners and is making friends again. His learning has also improved 10 fold. I know it's hard, but maybe trust the paed and give it a go x