+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Our DD started walking about a month ago and has always worn shoes! She has been gifted so many that it seemed a shame not to wear them!! I was told to get her used to hard bottom once walking was fully established as it gives extra support to the knees and anckle? Wow so much different advice out there, hard to know what to do sometimes?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

Default Should my toddler be wearing shoes?

Mums podiatrist said that all kids/babies should go barefoot as much as possible, especially when they first learn to walk as our feet were not made to wear shoes and it helps with balance and flexibility
    My DS goes barefoot at home ( or socks if it's cold) but always wears shoes out or at the park ( he has more shoes than I do!)

Thanks
    Reviews

DS started walking at 13 months. He always wore socks if it were cold or bare feet. I didn't buy him his first pair of shoes until he was at least 15 months. Even then he only wore them for half an hour when he would go to the park. He slowly got used to walking in them and would walk more places in public so he started using them more. Even now he only wears them when we go out (he is 18 months). Quite often he will bring them to me to put them on so I put them on for him but I think that's his way of telling me he wants to go outside and play.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

I was told the opposite..my son is now 25months so he has been walking for a fair while but he walks and runs almost like he is dancing ( very cute) when I mentioned this to the health nurse and my gp they said that it's better if he was wearing no shoes so I rarely have him in shoes

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Quote Originally Posted by Nila View Post
    I was told the opposite..my son is now 25months so he has been walking for a fair while but he walks and runs almost like he is dancing ( very cute) when I mentioned this to the health nurse and my gp they said that it's better if he was wearing no shoes so I rarely have him in shoes
    Same here. My DS is 24 months and has only ever had 1 pair of shoes to fit at a time and I only put them on to leave the house. Even daycare take them off and only put them on for outside play.

Thanks
    Reviews

You'll find it's mostly older ppl that say little ones should be in shoes as this was recommend when we were kids.
    These days its barefoot as long as possible then soft soles until they get into everything and you have to put them in proper shoes.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I went with some soft soled shoes (she is 19 months) but they are hard to find in sizes above 24 months. I think as little feet bones are still so malleable, soft is much better - I personally have real foot problems due to ill fitting, hard soled shoes from too young. Barefoot as much as possible, I reckon!

Thanks
    Reviews

Oooo I'm glad I saw this thread!
    My DS has been walking since 9 and a half months and is quite good at it now at almost 12 months! I usually just have him in socks but he loved walking everywhere like shops etc but I'm worried he's gonna step on or in some thing. I've heard no shoes till a certain age. I just don't know when that is!

Thanks
    Reviews

My DD is 15 months. I was advised to let her go barefoot whenever possible but when outside (at the park etc) to put her in soft soled baby shoes for the first few months.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    I would get soft-soled shoes fitting at a proper shoe-store and only put them on your son when he's out. Not at home. It's better for growing feet to just be un-shoed, but sometimes it's safer to wear shoes. You never know what's on the ground somewhere other than your home. Socks can also suck for slipping.

I got a few pairs of lovely shoes from Betts Kids when DD was a little one. A size 4 or 5. They were about $60 a pair.