+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Travelling for work during IVF

I am about to start my first IVF cycle. I have just learnt that my employer needs me to go interstate to work on a project. They know about my IVF treatment and are willing to work around it but I don't think they understand how difficult travelling could truly be for me right now.

Even though it could just be 1-3 day stints each week, I am so stressed about it. As this is all new to me I am worried mostly about having some adverse reaction to meds or OHSS when I am not near my own doctor. Also, about a last minute change to schedule for EPU or ET or something.

I'm also stressed about being stressed!!! IVF needs relaxation!!! haha.

For anyone who's done it...

How have you gone travelling with your meds?
    How sick do you feel from the meds and did it affect your ability to work?

Any other tips?

Thanks
    Reviews

Are you on a long down reg or stim cycle?

Thanks
    Reviews

A stim cycle

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hey MrsErin, I have to travel with meds all the time (non fertility related) and I once travelled between countries for 5 years so don't worry about that too much
    From an airport perspective, get a letter from your FS explaining what they are, carry in your hand luggage in an insulated bag and all will be fine

From an IVF perspective however the one recurring theme for me since I started was extreme tiredness.. I barely can stay up past 9pm since this started. Admittedly Ive been trying to be kind to myself so sleeping whenever I can (around normal work) and perhaps if you are in the same boat you can also do the same

The first half of the cycle I felt like I was at the FS office every second day so maybe that might be your biggest challenge. Given that you cant plan how quickly your follicles grow or when you may schedule EC or ET might be hard. Once that's all done though you have lots more free time.

Only time I have felt nauseaus is since I started Crimone and that only seems to go in waves.. Im drinking loads of water and that seems to help and I can still work through it

Good Luck
    Last edited by Vivre; 02-11-2012 at 17:13.

Thanks
    Reviews

They are usually pretty quick (4 weeks in total to preg test) can your work wait? I'd be putting this first... If you can!

I remember having to have regular blood tests and ultrasounds to check follicles etc, not a good time to be away of you ask me, but if your ultra dedicated it could be done. It would be hard without the support of your DP right there on the journey with you though.

I had no side effects from the drugs (puregon and orgalutran) and i was high risk for OOHS due to AMH levels - and no side effects from the EPU and transfer and ended up with a BFP first time.

Good luck!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

If you could, I'd be putting off travel when you are stimming. The drugs can really knock you around and you don't want to be exhausted for the egg pick up and the transfer. The drugs can tire you out. But if you have to, you should be ok, just don't keep the drugs out of the fridge too long.

Thanks
    Reviews

Thanks Vivre, that helps to know what I'm in for with carrying meds and potential tiredness. I read that the progesterone is what makes you feel nauseous more so than the stims.

I want to put the ivf first but I feel a responsibility to my employer and they are trying to be flexible for me on the ivf so I want to try to be flexible for them too. I do think I'll need to put my foot down if it all gets too hard though. I just really had hoped this piece of work wouldn't come through until December!

I feel sad to not have my DH with me all the time too, during this stage.

Mrsoptimistic, I am on those same drugs as you and also at risk of ohss due to high amh. I hope I also follow in your shoes with the BFP!

Thanks
    Reviews

Fx for you!

Thanks
    Reviews

Sorry to jump in here girls and hijack your thread but those with high amh what levels are we talking? Im looking down the barrel of IVF with high amh in the new year and fs reckons it will be easier than just trying to get 1 follicle as we have been with Oi. Did you find this was the case miss optimistic?

Thanks
    Reviews

From memory (I'll have to check) my level was about 8. Pretty high, I was on 125 puregon, orgalutran then crinone for progesterone support after EPU. I had no issues other than a bit of bloating and discomfort from memory which was after EPU. such a distant memory and it wasn't that log ago!

Ps: I only ended up with 10 eggs, they managed the drugs really well to avoid growing too many and ending up with OOHS.