+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts

Default New additions to our family!

Here our new family members! ImageUploadedByBub Hub1351718516.920645.jpg

We adopted them from the RSPCA on Monday afternoon and we are in love already. We just kept the names they came with... So they are...

Lila, the black dog, 18 months old, border collie cross. She's a cheeky little sook who thinks she's a small dog. She's always climbing on us as bothering the other one. She's also a pig and tries to eat everything.

Phoebe is a 2 yr old kelpie and while we thought she was quite serious, about 24hrs after we adopted her she turned into a right sook. She's the boss though and will pull Lila into line on occasion.

Both are fabulous with DD and don't even bark really... They barked last night when vandals attacked our car... And Lila barked when phoebe was going mental at the hose water... But it was short excited noise that lasted a split second and that's it.

Their previous owners obviously didn't bother to train them to walk on a leash though so while we had grand plans for big long walks its not happening until we can teach them to walk properly... We found out how horrible it is to try and walk them Tuesday afternoon. Lol.

Both girls seem so happy and we are so glad we adopted from a shelter... They're just beautiful!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Congratulations! Lovely looking dogs - especially the kelpie.

If you have alot of trouble teaching them to walk on lead on their collars perhaps look into getting them a halti or gentle leader. I've done fairly extensive training with my German Shepherd but despite my best efforts she always been terrible walking with a collar so the halti has been a godsend for us!

StretchmarkBarbie is offline Senior Member
    Winner 2009- Best Username Award
    Thanks
    Reviews

I second the halti! Less than $20 each and walks become a breeze!

They are beautiful dogs.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I agree on the halti! Mum adopted a dog that had simular walking issues (and is so strong that even dad had trouble holding her!) now even I can walk her while pushing a pram Such beautiful dogs! Glad they are fitting in!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Nice work on adopting from the RSPCA I wish more people would source their pets this way.

I think it's nice to have two dogs to keep eachother company. How cute they are!

Thanks
    Reviews

Aw they're gorgeous and good on you for adopting!
    I've heard about the gentle leader but never heard of the halti before, does anyone know if it would working a huge, very strong Labrador? We are adopting my mums dog and he has never been trained on a lead properly. He physically drags me and my husband when we walk him, he just gets to anxious and over excited poor boy.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by VeganMum View Post
    Aw they're gorgeous and good on you for adopting!
    I've heard about the gentle leader but never heard of the halti before, does anyone know if it would working a huge, very strong Labrador? We are adopting my mums dog and he has never been trained on a lead properly. He physically drags me and my husband when we walk him, he just gets to anxious and over excited poor boy.
    Gentle leaders/ halti's are pretty much the same thing, just different brands. The one we have atm is a 'Black Dog' one. The idea is they are like a horse halter that goes around the dog's head/ nose. It makes it hard for them to pull and much easier to control. Often the bigger and stronger the dog the better they work! Often dogs hate them at first - trying to paw them off etc, so it might take a bit of time for your pup to get used to it and walk properly.

Thanks
    Reviews

The halti is great. Only was I can walk my 42kg extremely headstrong boxer without looking like I'm on ice skates. We had the halti brand for my previous dog years ago, but had to buy the black dog one for my boxer because they make one particularly suitable for short nosed breeds, the halti would just fall off. Both worked brilliantly. They go in crazy flipping circles for a bit then get used to it. Worthwhile putting a normal collar on them too at first as they can occasionally pull the halti off in the early flipping about stages.

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by decemberbubba View Post
    Gentle leaders/ halti's are pretty much the same thing, just different brands. The one we have atm is a 'Black Dog' one. The idea is they are like a horse halter that goes around the dog's head/ nose. It makes it hard for them to pull and much easier to control. Often the bigger and stronger the dog the better they work! Often dogs hate them at first - trying to paw them off etc, so it might take a bit of time for your pup to get used to it and walk properly.
    Oh okay, I might have to invest in one of these it sounds really good! I remember seeing a gentle leader or something similar but just wasn't sure if it would be good for such a strong dog but we have honestly tried everything so it's our last option!! He honestly has never been walked consistently and basically just been put in a backyard so you can't blame him!

StretchmarkBarbie is offline Senior Member
    Winner 2009- Best Username Award
    Thanks
    Reviews

I dont like the gentle leader just because I find they go too close to the dogs eyes