+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Electric Breast Pumps - Avent vs. Unimom/Ameda/Medela - HELP PLS

I am a few weeks away from having bub #2 and Im looking to upgrade my breast pump. I have an electric Avent pump which served me well with my DS, but I spent a lot of time pumping, so looking for something that perhaps works a little better and more efficiently and hopefully at the same time increase my milk production.

My first choice was originally the Medela Swing, until I heard about the open v. closed systems, and the Medela being an open system was not something I liked the sound of too much.

So now I think I have narrowed it down to either the Unimom Forte, or the Ameda Purely Yours.

Im wondering if people have used either of these as well as the Avent electric pump and how they compare? And also if anyone has used both the Unimom and the Ameda and which did you prefer? And lastly, if you have used either of these and also the Medela? The Medela still seems to be quite a popular choice for a majority of women, regardless of the possible hygiene issues that come along with an open system pump.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

I have a unimom allegro, which is a closed system electric pump. You can buy a second shield which allows it to be a dual pump which is what made me choose it over the forte, as the forte cannot run on batteries where as the allegro can. I have no experience with other pumps and I have only used mine a few times but it has seemed fantastic so far, I haven't had any pain from it and I can extract a lot with it, although that is individual obviously. It was $120 for the pump and $20 for the second shield so a really good price for a dual electric pump

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think alot of people don't realise the issue with open systems. I'm a bit of a research nut, and I purchased an open system 2 years ago, not enough info/too many reveiws saying how great the product was. Just my opinion, maybe some people think its not an issue?

I'm thinking of replacing mine with the unimom this time round, so will be stalking to see what everyone else thinks

Thanks
    Reviews
    Subbing. Due date looming and have yet to make the decision. About breast pumps.

Thanks
    Reviews

I also have a unimom allegro and love it!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Aaliyahsmummy I was thinking the same thing? Maybe people are willing to disregard the issues with the open system pumps simply because of how highly reviewed and recommended some products are. For me it's not something I'd be willing to compromise on, and I'm glad that the info is around now, because otherwise I would have bought a medela being none the wiser.

Well I bit the bullet this afternoon and purchased the unimom forte pump. Happy with my decision to do so, and will come back and let you know how it goes.

Definitely still interested in responses to my original post though regarding preferences of people that have used these multiple pumps. But glad to see that unimom is becoming a popular choice
    Last edited by RainbowMama; 31-10-2012 at 23:27.

Thanks
    Reviews

I have the avent electric, Medela swing and Unimom forte. I am most happy with the Unimom forte. It is rhe most quiet out of all of them, does the job well and cheapest. I am exclusive pumping mum and had been using the forte for 2.5months, it has helped me to build a good supply. The downside is I can't bring it everywhere with me since it is not battery operated. I use swing when I am out.

Thanks
    Reviews

I haven't tried any others but did a fair bit of research before buying my unimom allegro. I love it!