ADVERTISEMENT

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    DD1 was 24 months, we waited until after her sister was born otherwise we would probably have done it a few months earlier. We took her with us to the shop to choose her new big girl bed and to the shops to choose her bedding (she loves Dora so we chose her a Dora bed spread) we also had the room to leave the cot in her room so she could choose that night where she wanted to sleep (she chose her big girl bed & told us to give the baby bed to DD2) we never pressured her. She does wakes up through the night and comes to our room but that's not every night. I have friends that have put up a baby gate to stop this happening.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Transferring toddler to a single bed

It seems like everyone's experiences have been pretty positive which is good, we are going to try for another baby in the next month or so, depending on how we go it's probably better to get her used to a big bed sooner rather than later. Thanks everyone for your experiences and advice, I appreciate it

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    we moved dd at 18 months into a king single in her own room. previously she was in our room in a side car cot.

i was so scared that it was going to make her sleep worse, but it actually improved it!

we had a folded portacot next to her bed that she used to climb on to the bed.

good luck!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    DD was 18 months because her cot broke, no hassles she did fall out twice so we got a rail.

DS was 2 got up a few times, but no issues. It did stop his day sleeps, but we also removed the bottle so that could have been the reason too.

Thanks
    Reviews

We moved dd into her bed just after her second birthday, I was freaking out about it but it ended up being a breeze. She helped us make up the bed and was very excited, she goes to sleep easier in her bed then she ever did in her cot. Every night I lay in bed with her and read her a story and then give her a kiss and go, she generally falls straight asleep. Has fallen out a few times but we put her fold out couch under it just in case. Good luck!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

About 18/19 months. We have another baby coming so figured we'd do it now and deal with any issues of wandering round the house, etc before we have a newborn to contend with too. Also, it was taking 2 hours of cuddling in a rocking chair to get him to sleep so figured the big bed might help.

It has been totally brilliant. We made a big deal of having a big boy bed so he was excited about it. Originally the plan was to do naps in the big bed and nights in the cot but it ended up working out the other way because he would only settle for me (naptime) in the rocking chair. The first two nights in his big bed he slept through and was happy and awake when I went in in the morning (always cried when he woke in his cot). We lie down next to him and cuddle him till he's asleep and it's so much nicer than the rocking chair. He also has self-settled several times in the last few weeks. He's never fallen out but we have a safety rail.

Thanks
    Reviews

Good thread - I need to move DS at about 18mths if I can (he's 14mths now) because I want the cot for no2.

I'm worried though because he still moves all over the cot in his sleep. He's never even facing the same way when I check him each time! Anyone else experience this before moving them?

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by Pesca77 View Post
    Good thread - I need to move DS at about 18mths if I can (he's 14mths now) because I want the cot for no2.

I'm worried though because he still moves all over the cot in his sleep. He's never even facing the same way when I check him each time! Anyone else experience this before moving them?
    Well DS would always sleep pretty still in his cot, but in his big bed he has been found sleeping sideways, upside down, etc. There's more room. The safety rail keeps him on the bed, and we have the heater on so it doesn't matter if he kicks his Donna off.

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by Pesca77 View Post

DD also moved around lots in her cot and would end up facing upside down/sideways in her cot. Since moving her to a bed she has tended to stay a little more still and up the right way - I think because she has blankets/doona to orient her. We initially used a flat pillow to help her know which way was "up", but found she would twist and turn and fall out of bed trying to get off it. She has been much better since we took it away. I would suggest using a side rail, and potentially using a sleeping bag instead of blankets if he continually ends up the wrong way once you have transitioned to a bed. I always worried that DD would end up upside down with face under blankets after a horrible story mum told me about transitioning my sister to a bed - never happened to the degree i was worried about, but I was planning on using a sleeping bag for a while if it did.

Thanks
    Reviews

Thanks guys DD wakes up once or twice a night at the moment because she is cutting her molars but I went in there this morning at about 2:30 when she woke up and she had turned and her legs were sticking out the side of the cot. I'm going to set up her bed today and she can help me put the sheets on and pillows and see what happens tonight. She is in a sleeping bag at the moment but it's getting too small for her so I'm tossing up whether to buy another couple of 18-36 month grobag or just ditch the bag when she goes into the bed.