+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Transferring toddler to a single bed

Hi everyone. My dd is nearly 22 months and DH and I are thinking its now the right time to change her into a single bed. Just wondering what age you put your little ones into a single bed and what are your experiences. tips, advice? Any help would be most appreciated.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    Bubhub Blogger

Default Re: Transferring toddler to a single bed

My little one moved into a single need much you're. I just out him in, but we did have a single and double squished in a one bedroom flat do i was beside him lol.

My advice is to listen to your child. If they're happy to just sleep there. Excited to be in bed with toys etc, roll with it, but leave the door open for the both of you.

If your little one gets stressed, don't push it. The last thing you want is for your child to associate the bed with stress. Suit in a chair bedside the bed, talk them through, sing songs... What ever would for you.

If you have a child that loves books, maybe write your owntransition book to read to them where they are the main character. If they have fav toys, let them bring then to bed etc

Sent from my GT-I9100 using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews

Subbing.
    My LO is 21mo and showing some signs, I'm just afraid she will hop out of bed at all hours of the night..
    Other than my own selfish worry I'm pretty sure she is ready and would like to make the transition as comfortable for her as possible.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My DD went into single bed at 19mths and we had no issues, infact the only issue we have is getting her out of bed! She loves it.
    We had the bed all set up bside her cot for a few weeks as it took me that long to buy some sheets, doona, pillow ect. One day she was playing on her bed, i asked her if she wants to sleep in her big bed tonight. That night, i moved the cot out. We said bye bye cot. That was that.
    We have a bean bag and safety rail on one side of the bed and it's against a wall. She's fallen out once but manages to get herself back up using the beanbag.
    In the beginning we left a night light on and id turn it off after checking on her later on. Now it just goes on for night time routine - story and milk.
    We leave her door open, she hasnt yet gotten out of bed at all hrs of the night. It helps that she's an excellent sleeper, once she's alseep she's gone for the night.
    I do check on her at about 10pm each night to make sure she's in bed and covers on her as once i found her asleep under her bed!

My advice is not to make a huge deal about it, dont drag the process out , no back and forth to cot/bed. Have some of her favourite toys/comforters on her bed.
    Just do it if you believe you are ready to move her into a bed.
    Goodluck im sure it will be easy just remember to have fun with it
    Last edited by Little Miss Muffet; 29-10-2012 at 11:21.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Little Miss Muffet For This Useful Post:

Izy  (29-10-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews

We moved our DS into a toddler bed when he was 16months, toddler beds are lower to the ground. We then moved him into a single bed at 2.5yrs & we have one side of the bed up against the wall & the other side has a bed rail, it's a king single tho so has lots of room to move without falling out.

Thanks
    Reviews

Thanks for the advice so far everyone, great ideas. I feel the same as you Rachell that she will be getting out of bed at all hours. We are going to put the bed up against the wall with a safety rail and see how we go but definitely won't be changing back and forth from the bed to the cot and vice versa, once it's done it's done Little Miss Muffet did you just pop a beanbag beside the bed?

Thanks
    Reviews

We have a trundle bed so a smaller bed that slots under the king single so we are going to start with the lower bed and then once gets used to it then we will use the top bed. It feels like yesterday she was in a bassinet beside my bed.. Time flies by so quickly!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Mum2Lil13 View Post
    Little Miss Muffet did you just pop a beanbag beside the bed?
    I sure did we originally had the cot mattress on the floor, but i didnt like the idea of having her standing all over it when im planning to use it again for baby #2 it was a brand new one and i wanted to keep it that way
    Where the safety rail ends about half way down the bed, that's where i plonked the beanbag. It's how she gets in and out of bed herself and it's a bit fun too hehe

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts

My son is 27 months and changed him just over 2 weeks ago, it was and still is a nightmare. He takes a lot longer to go to sleep, wakes several times a night, which he didn't before, and wakes earlier than he was. I would not have changed him if he wasn't climbing out.

Having said that, my daughter changed at about 24 months and wasn't a problem at all.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

DS was 14 months when he moved to a single bed, we just did it and he adapted really well, I put his cot mattress on the floor beside him just in case but he never rolled out.