+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Recommendations for good building company

So we're looking to build a new house. We've been looking around at the display homes around the Gold Coast and Brisbane for ages. We think we'd like to go with one of the bigger companies rather than a smaller builder (just so we can see displays etc), but are open to suggestions.

I'd love to hear people's recommendations on what builder is going to get me the best quality, a really neat finish with attention to detail.

We'll be building on the Gold Coast so any local recommendations would be wonderful. So far we're interested in Metricon or Adenbrook. A house around 40+ squares. Anyone built with either of those companies? Are you happy with it? Any others we should have a look at?

TIA!

Thanks
    Reviews

I'm a town planner and have worked for a builder certifier for about 3 years. I see a lot of metricon/adenbrook/coral homes.
    My father and my brother are both builders with their own building companies.

My personal opinion is that you are better off with a smaller building company who offer a personalized service.

The bigger companies might seem better but when you buy a home off the plan, it often doesn't suit the block you buy or take into consideration north/south aspect (important for passive heating/cooling and can lower your homes energy demands), slope of the lot, views of the lot, surrounding uses (eg whether your neighbours 2 storey dwelling will look over your 'private' back patio), etc.
    Also, I currently try a townhouse built by one of these big companies and the finish of the house is shocking. There are so many mistakes. My brother almost died when I showed him around.
    If you like what you see at display homes, a good builder can design you a home based on a display home. But have it suit your block, your family, etc.
    Obviously smaller builders are more expensive than large project builders, but I think you get a better service. Ring a few builders, ask if you can go and look at some homes they have built and also check them out on the Building Services Authority's website. All registered builders are on this site, along with any complaints against them.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by nudge88 View Post
    I'm a town planner and have worked for a builder certifier for about 3 years. I see a lot of metricon/adenbrook/coral homes.
    My father and my brother are both builders with their own building companies.

My personal opinion is that you are better off with a smaller building company who offer a personalized service.

The bigger companies might seem better but when you buy a home off the plan, it often doesn't suit the block you buy or take into consideration north/south aspect (important for passive heating/cooling and can lower your homes energy demands), slope of the lot, views of the lot, surrounding uses (eg whether your neighbours 2 storey dwelling will look over your 'private' back patio), etc.
    Also, I currently try a townhouse built by one of these big companies and the finish of the house is shocking. There are so many mistakes. My brother almost died when I showed him around.
    If you like what you see at display homes, a good builder can design you a home based on a display home. But have it suit your block, your family, etc.
    Obviously smaller builders are more expensive than large project builders, but I think you get a better service. Ring a few builders, ask if you can go and look at some homes they have built and also check them out on the Building Services Authority's website. All registered builders are on this site, along with any complaints against them.
    Thanks! I was always a bit scared to go with a smaller company because I worry that they might have a bigger chance of going broke or running off with my money or costs blowing out. Is this a totally wrong idea?? We haven't built before so it's been total guess work so far.

So from what you've seen the quality can be better from a smaller builder? (As well as the stuff you mentioned above like suiting the design to the block etc).

If you're on the Gold Coast are you able to share the names of companies you've seen produce good quality homes? Feel free to PM me if you're not comfortable naming names here!

Thanks again.

Thanks
    Reviews

I'm on the Sunshine Coast, so not really familiar with Gold Coast builders.
    Maybe try ringing around from the yellow pages? Or even turning up to houses being constructed that you like the look of and asking for a business card? Usually houses under construction have a big sign out the front advertising who is constructing them.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by nudge88 View Post
    I'm on the Sunshine Coast, so not really familiar with Gold Coast builders.
    Maybe try ringing around from the yellow pages? Or even turning up to houses being constructed that you like the look of and asking for a business card? Usually houses under construction have a big sign out the front advertising who is constructing them.
    Good idea!

Anyone else built on the Gold Coast??

Thanks
    Reviews

Coral homes are fantastic. We built with them 2 yrs ago and were very happy. Looking at displays is fantastic but just remember that there are so many extras in the displays that are not factored in and your base price doesn't include any of these. Best thing about coral is they are very upfront with their costs and show you exactly how much extra you pay for these and what is or isn't included in the base price. You can then add on from there within your budget.
    I also found a few friends who built with other company's and have had on going problems. Just be careful and reserch a lot before you sign. It's a big commitment.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by jordansmumma View Post
    Coral homes are fantastic. We built with them 2 yrs ago and were very happy. Looking at displays is fantastic but just remember that there are so many extras in the displays that are not factored in and your base price doesn't include any of these. Best thing about coral is they are very upfront with their costs and show you exactly how much extra you pay for these and what is or isn't included in the base price. You can then add on from there within your budget.
    I also found a few friends who built with other company's and have had on going problems. Just be careful and reserch a lot before you sign. It's a big commitment.
    It's amazing how much extra you need to make it look like a display hey! I've been through one of the displays with a sales person and got figures for how much extra all the bits and pieces will cost. It's huge!