+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Hoping to increase supply

Great news!!! Just boob away!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenMama View Post
    If he's not satisfied just try and put him back on. It's totally normal for a newborn to be feeding for 12 hours a day! I know my daughter definitely did. Also they want to be at the breast for more than just food...he could be full but just want to suckle for comfort or to be close to you But you know your baby best hun!
    If he isn't satisfied he screams in frustration and escalates quickly into bad crying. How?

Thanks
    Reviews
    I notice if he opens his mouth wide and latches and sucks he does get my breast milk cos I see him swallowing. Problem is most times he seems more comfort sucking therefore no swallowing and not clearing my breasts. Then I will be in trouble re supply. So that (comfort sucking) on top of his frustration and sleepiness, I have to resort to using the SNS.

if I let him nurse with or wo the SNS I will express after the nursing just to ensure my breasts are emptied completetly.

My left breast now has few painful lumps ouch! in them i will massage but hand compression doesn't yield much, the pump draws out milk but it has to be slow. Meaning I cannot rush things for this breast even if feel engorged.

The right breast produces more milk ATM n when pump plus hand compression, milk will come out fast.

Some pple think it better to drop pumping but every time I pump both sides I do get abt 15ml, not sure if bub didn't do proper job drawing out that or what.

And been latching him on more these two days,how come still pump out only that amt? When should I see increase? Like go up to 20ml per pump then 30 then 40 etc etc etc.

Grrrrr why must bfg be so hard??!
    Last edited by Mom2TwoDSs; 25-10-2012 at 00:08.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Oh i have some painful stiff lumps I my left breasts since last night. Are they plugged ducts? What do they mean? Milk got stuck inside?

i tried using very warm towel over breasts, massage, latch bb/pump but they keep coming back. What should I do?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Pumping is not indicative of supply. Pumps just aren't as efficient as bub for draining.also the breast is never actually empty, it keeps producing. I had lumps the other day, a hot wheat bag and massage followed by a good sleep helped me!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Atropos For This Useful Post:

missie_mackxxxx  (25-10-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks...that's why I will hand compress during pump time and try to squeeze every drop out...think I even bruised one part of my breast. Trouble is bubs latch seems dodgy most times so I don't see him drinking much when I know I do have milk inside. There was once yesterday he took more than nipple and aeroplane and wow he was swallowing lots more. And that latch on didn't hurt as much. Usually his mouth won't open so wide and worse he sorta suck my nipple in...that's toe curling!

i wana try get him to open bigger and take more breast tissue.

Thanks
    Reviews
    So what do the lumps mean? I guess not good to have them like that? But it does mean there's milk trapped right? I had a mng shower hoping it will resolve. May try the wheat bag.

Thanks
    Reviews

The lumps are fine unless painful, hot and red. I don't think you need to worry about squeezing it all out. Can you see a lactation consultant about the latch?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Atropos View Post
    The lumps are fine unless painful, hot and red. I don't think you need to worry about squeezing it all out. Can you see a lactation consultant about the latch?

Did see and ask one in hosp she doesn't think its any problem. But from whether he's swallowing I know if its ok or not. Now I am trying to make sure he gets a bigger mouthful.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by missie_mack View Post
    When are you putting bub to the breast? Only when bub cries or are you looking for hungry signs earlier than that?
    Sometimes if we wait until they cry in hunger they get themselves all worked up and are difficult to attach or keep on. Often it is better to look for other hunger signs such as sucking hands to make it easier.
    If you think the latch is the issue you may be best to contact an LC
    maternal nurse told me nurse him 2 hrly day time n formula feed nite time 4 hrly. This mng I nursed him at 5am till 6am using SNS then he slept till 10am. That's 4hr sleep, should I then wake him up at 8am instead? I didn't so I used the pump instead. Got 15ml both sides.

what do you reckon? Wake bub up if he exceeds 2hr? Dont wait for him to cry in hunger sounds good idea...I kept thinking must wait him to be hungry!