+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    threechooks is offline If my spelling annoys you that's your problem.... I have better things to do than proofread !
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    In my experience keep them in a cot as long as possible (ie no longer safe when they are climbing out)

2. The Following User Says Thank You to threechooks For This Useful Post:

Ellewood  (21-10-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Moving toddler out of cot, experience please

Subscribing. DS just turned 2 and I'm thinking it's about time to do it... but he goes to sleep without any fuss whatsoever at the moment so I'm kind of a bit too scared to mess with that, especially after reading some of these experiences!

Thanks
    Reviews
    So two days in, no success with naps yet, she needed to be put back to bed four times and woke up twice crying on her first night. I think I'll purserver for another two days and if still no success I might say she was not quite ready. What do you think?

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Re: Moving toddler out of cot, experience please

It's been a few years for us but at 2I moved DS into his big boy bed. We used all the advice I got. For him to pick out his first sheet set,a night light, bed time toy.
    I didn't allow toys in the cot.
    The first few nights I sat in my lazy boy at the end of his bed and read a book till he was asleep. Worked a treat and have me a break at nap times.
    Then I started to leave the room before he was asleep but was close. That failed so I sat till he dozed then moved to the door.
    Inch by inch I got closer to freedom with each night.
    I wish there was a better way but DS gates change so it has to be gradual.
    Good luck ladies. It is worth it in the end.

Sent from my LG-P500 using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews

Omg this is me right now. Actually sitting here in DDs bedroom been here for about an hour and a half and she is just dozing off now... Not going to move tho! Until I know for sure...it's been awful. The first week was brilliant and now a month on she can't settle and if I leave the room at all even for 30 seconds to get DD2 who is 4 months she's out of bed. Sometimes I just don't bother with her day sleeps cos its too hard and night time, well last night was 2 hours to get to sleep and that's about average. I'm losing my mind. She's 29 months, only just started climbing out of the cot and plus i needed it for DD2. Didn't have a problem at all settling her in the cot, put her in left and she would sleep. I think the new found freedom she has found going to a bed is what is causing it but I just don't know what else to try!
    Sorry to hijack your thread

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Justus4 For This Useful Post:

Jesmo  (22-10-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews

Do you look at her out talk to her while your sitting there?
    I had to stop doing that and pretend I wasn't there.
    If he got up I'd just put him back and even walked out for 5 min shutting the door. He didn't like that so stopped getting up.

Sent from my LG-P500 using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews

I think I was lucky with my stepdaughter. We HAD to put her in a big bed (as BM took the cot and we couldn't afford a new one at the time). She was 15 or so months... We bought a side rail and that kept my fears at bay about her rolling out of the bed. Also she has always slept with the door closed and couldn't turn the round handles so she couldn't just get out of the room. We would also open the door after she was well and truly asleep so that she could come see us if needed. We found afternoon maps difficult but she has them only every second day these days. When we knew she needed one but was refusing we would put her in the portacot and there we're no problems. At night if she got up and played with toys she would get a warning, then if she continued we would start taking all the toys out of her room until she had nothing in there... We only did that maybe half a dozen times... She's now almost 3 and the only problem we still have is she likes to play with the blinds in her room! Hope this helps you all! And good luck to all who are trying to transition their LO's. Its scary but also wonderful once they are sleeping every night in their big bed :-)

Sent from my GT-I9100T using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews

I was lying next to her, holding her hand etc after reading books. But then she started talking and playing so for a few nights I sat on the lounge in the dark saying nothing and still the same then I would play the ipad(taking no interest in her) still didn't work, sat in the hall outside her room. Still the same.
    Just don't know how to get her to settle. She's in a toddler bed with rails etc so all safe and sleeps all thru the night, if I hear her wake up in the night she resettles herself, it's mainly cos she has blankets on and hates that so kicks them off and goes back to sleep. Comes in to our room all smiles at 6 sometimes 5 saying good morning. So all is great really just the actually getting her to sleep?! ATM I'm starting at 6pm so she's finally asleep by 830.
    I've tried all different times, waited til her eyes are so tired I thought she would just nod off, but no it gets worse cos she gets over tired hypo mode thing going.

Thanks
    Reviews

Try and wear her out a little? Get her to do lots of activities before dinner then settle down at dinner and a nice warm bath with lavender bubble bath or something... Also maybe a warm milk before bed?

Hope these suggestions help. Its taking everything my mum did for.me and everything we did for our stepdaughter and I can't really think of much else.

Good luck and hugs to you all!

Sent from my GT-I9100T using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

We moved dd1 to a bed at 16/17mths. It was easy. I was still nursing her then so I just fed to sleep then transferred her to cot/bed.

We weaned at 19mths once bed sleeping was established. Now I still cuddle to sleep and it takes 5-10mins mostly.

It was really easy. I will transfer dd2 to a bed before she is 18mths as well.
    Last edited by Rose&Aurelia&Hannah; 23-10-2012 at 12:55.