+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Peanuts

Coming from a family with no real allergies, I'm probably naive when it comes to the dangers of things like peanuts. The other day DH and I were eating peanuts and then handled our 9 week old DS, but it later occurred to me that this could be dangerous if he happens to be allergic. He had no reaction to the traces that were probably on our hands, but could he have done? What precautions do you take to protect the littlies from peanuts? At what age do you deliberately give them some exposure to see whether they have a reaction?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I don't take any precautions, although cross contamination had never occurred to me, eg. I will give my older son peanut butter and then feed my newborn.

i think I gave my older son something with peanuts added before 1.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ended 19/6/2014

Default Re: Peanuts

I never took precautions either. I believe in the theory that you are more likely to develope an allergy if you avoid that particular food. I have absolutely no family history of an allergery to peanuts either. I consumed them when pregnant, i more then likely ate them/food containing them when the kids were babies. The kids were both given peanuts/foods containing them from a young age.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

Default Peanuts

From 6 months is now the recommended age for exposure to nuts , unless you have a history of allergies in the family, we gave DS almond nut butter and tahini (sesame) at 6 months and peanut butter, shellfish etc at 7 months

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Peanuts

It's a hard one to predict. There is so much conflicting advice on when to expose them to nuts. We have no history of allergies in our family and I craved peanut butter when pregnant (ate heaps of the stuff) yet my 15 month old DD has a severe peanut allergy which we discovered after she was given a tiny taste at 13 months. I went by advice to wait till 12 months but there is so much conflicting advice it's really hard. I think the best thing to do is make yourself aware of possible signs of a bad reaction before giving it to them just so you know what to look out for.