ADVERTISEMENT

+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ended 19/6/2014

Default Requesting additional security on a rental property (NSW)?

Does anyone know if there is much chance in succeeding in doing so?
    We moved into a property which ended up being located in an absolutely undesirable area.( I had no prior knowledge of this as i'm not from the area originally).
    So to paint a bit of a picture of what the property is like or where it's situated more so: It's within close proximity to a large department of housing unit block which i assume is where most of the trouble comes from. The side street next to the house has smashed up furniture and televisions all down the street, graffiti on most fences and houses.Kids roam the street on their bikes to around 10pm most nights usually swearing their heads off, I've had random children enter my yard, I've had ferals standing outside my house discussing their heroin habit, i've had a group of teens stand in the middle of the road and watch my every move while hanging out washing. They've moved off finally after i went inside. We've only been here a week and a half so i'm sure there is more to come.

The house itself has absolutely no security. The front door has been kicked in as it's been bogged up around the door handle/latch. The front security screen is broken and cannot be locked. I have not been given a key to the back door, the windows have no locks on them what so ever and there is a shed that cannot be locked at all as the latch on it doesn't meet up so i've got no where secure to store a mower.
    The property was advertised as having ample off street parking yet i've noticed they've added to the lease that i'm not allowed to park in the yard at all. So i have to leave my car in a very vulnerable position out on the street.

I've looked up fair trading online and have given them a call. They are very vague and there seems to be no clearly defined rules as to what constitutes adequate security. IMO the chronic lack of security, given the nature of this area, is far from adequate but what rights do i have in arguing/requesting something be done?
    Does anyone have any ideas of how to word a letter to the real estate requesting this issue to be rectified?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Do you have copies of the advertisement re the car parking? If they have advertised it as one thing but now put it as another you may have some grounds for argument.

As for your security concerns, anything that came with the property that isn't working properly should be fixed within 14days. If the windows didn't have locks then I'm not sure that legally they have to put them on, could you put some wooden poles down the runners so that they only open an inch or so? Needs to be strong wooden poles.

I would write a letter in three parts, first paragraph addressing the discrepancy between the ad and the lease re car parking. Second para regarding the maintenance of the existing things in the property that are not working properly. Third para address the extra security concerns.

Can you also ring your rental hotline? In Vic it's vcat or consumer affairs I think? You can tell them what's going on and they too can advise you the best way to approach the real estate agent and what you rights may be.

Good luck, sounds pretty bad.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    In nsw landlords must provide tenants with "reasonable" security, the reason fair trading was vague is because "reasonable" could mean anything!
    The best way to find out what security is needed for your area is to ring an insurance company and see what they require to insure you ( some areas insurance co won't insure you unless you have window locks etc" ) get it in writing and then you can write to the agent requesting adequate security otherwise your insurance company won't insure you

i know it's hard but always try check out the area first, to be honest if I saw what you described around the hous e I would not rent it plus anything that needs fixing ( like your door) needs to be requested before you sign the lease as once signed you are committed to taking the house as is , in saying that front door locks are something that should be fixed so request that in writing immediately

My office is near a big housing commission area that is pretty bad ( no company will do home delivery there and police cars must go in twos) so hopefully your landlord realizes you need the extra security ( as should the agent) and they might grant your requests , good luck!
    Last edited by Elijahs Mum; 14-10-2012 at 21:00.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ended 19/6/2014
    I had no issues getting my insurance transferred over to this property. I guess it's all based on postcode and my postcode covers a fair few suburbs.

I was in a really desperate position when we had to move. The property had been sold and we had been kicked out. I was running out of time to find something, my real estate were stuffing me around by not answering reference requests. When i came to look at the property i came in from one direction and it turns out all the bad stuff is off down a sided street headed in the other direction. So i never even saw it until we actually moved in.

Is there any other way to argue the security is inadequate? The lady from fair trading mention crime stats for the area. I think these are general and based on postcode, aren't they? I tried some googling but all i found was that someone was shot in the street but it was a few years ago.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I would say adequate security would be that security screen and front and back door locks be in working order and keys to be available so I would definitely request those to be fixed ASAP ( I'm sure tenancy tribunal would agree) window locks however you could ask for but worst case you may have to put them on yourself

our office covers 3 suburbs in one post code , one being the housing comm area , and insurance rates change dramatically from that suburb to the other ones, usually if the area is that bad the insurance company would be able to tell you?