ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISEMENT

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    That's the worst thing about FB invitations, they are so say for people to forget/make excuses/get out of. Having said that though, my best friends and I organise pretty much everything via FB these days, and there is no way on this earth they would make such crappy excuses not to attend my baby shower. I'd be re-evaluating my friendships if I was you.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Mrs Awesome For This Useful Post:

Tanzanite  (12-10-2012)

biscotti is offline Winner 2012 - Naughtiest/Cheekiest Mod
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    I find it hard to believe that with the advanced warning someone couldn't afford $18. I respectfully suggest they aren't the OP's best friend, they are a $hithouse friend and no way in hell I'd be paying for them to go.
    Happy to not be one of your best friends then if you didn't think you could spot me $18 if I was having a bad week/month/year.
    Isn't this what best friends do
    My best friend is my best friend of 24 years, I couldn't imagine not shouting her to something if I really needed her to come with me, to be by my side if I needed her to be. And she would do the same for me. No question.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to biscotti For This Useful Post:

LoCo  (11-10-2012),Mathermy  (01-07-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I think it's poor form. $18 with lots of notice isn't something huge.

I remember with my baby shower was much more about seeing people support me and being there for me. I needed that. So when not one friend showed up I was devastated, I don't think I have ever felt more alone or abandoned, that they couldn't make this small gesture of support hurt. So if this is where you're coming from, huge hugs, keep in mind people can often be unthinking about what their presence means to you.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BlissedOut For This Useful Post:

SoThisIsLove  (12-10-2012),Tanzanite  (12-10-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Aw that sucks. I agree to just enjoy yourself and concentrate on your friends who did make the effort! Enjoy your baby shower and dont let anyone ruin it for you!!

8. The Following User Says Thank You to SoThisIsLove For This Useful Post:

Tanzanite  (12-10-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by cub View Post
    Do your friends (that have cancelled) have kids of their own? I lost a few friends after having my first bub, I entered a different life stage than them and the friendship just wasn't the same anymore I don't mean to sound harsh but the friends that want to come to your baby shower are the friends you should be concentrating your time and efforts on. In the coming months you will make new friends (mothers groups etc) and if people want to be/stay friends with you they will make the effort. $18 is not a lot of money especially when you didn't ask for gifts either.
    Perfectly said.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to scarymarygoldfish For This Useful Post:

Tanzanite  (12-10-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I would gladly pay for my best friends meal and drinks, she knows that. But it is true she has had months to save up for it, on top of it all she was in a high paying job. She has no bills, lives at home with her family and is 33 years old... She has savings. It's just I am suspecting maybe as 'cub' suggested above its people outgrowing other people.

I think I will go ahead and have the baby shower, if i dont i will regret it. I want the baby to be welcomed and loved and known about. Not just be the most adorable baby in the world that no one knows about.

And as for that friend.... I think she won't be getting invites anywhere anymore, I am honestly over it. All of them that cancelled. Deleted from my memory bank. It sucks and hurts, but it is better that dwelling on it. I'm so thankful for the support here. Does anyone know any mum clubs in Melbourne?

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Tanzanite For This Useful Post:

VicPark  (12-10-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    I find it hard to believe that with the advanced warning someone couldn't afford $18. I respectfully suggest they aren't the OP's best friend, they are a $hithouse friend and no way in hell I'd be paying for them to go.
    Oh Vicpark I don't agree with some things you post but I must say I admire your ability to be so outright and honest and you made me laugh with this one. And I agree! But OP I also agree that Facebook invites are rather casual, however if they aren't willing to make the effort they aren't true friends.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Sarelou For This Useful Post:

Tanzanite  (12-10-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by biscotti View Post
    Happy to not be one of your best friends then if you didn't think you could spot me $18 if I was having a bad week/month/year.
    Isn't this what best friends do
    My best friend is my best friend of 24 years, I couldn't imagine not shouting her to something if I really needed her to come with me, to be by my side if I needed her to be. And she would do the same for me. No question.
    I can't believe I'm actually agreeing with VicPark on something but... Not wanting to cough up $18? To go out for your BEST FRIEND's baby shower? Seriously lame.

And "what best friends do" is just what you described, biscotti: "be by my side if I needed her to be". If Gurtling's BF is a real friend she'll go to the shower no matter what. If she really can't afford $18, I guess she can just not eat.

16. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to meatpopsicle For This Useful Post:

mousky  (12-10-2012),scarymarygoldfish  (14-10-2012),Tanzanite  (12-10-2012),VicPark  (12-10-2012)

earthfairy is offline Winner 2009 - Biggest Computer Nerd
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you

It's hard when you are pregnant & hormonal too - everything tends to be a million times worse... it was for me anyway!

I was in a similar position for my first baby shower, a friend said she would organise it, then people pulled out so she cancelled the whole thing (without asking me) & there were 5 (2 I hardly knew!) of us that were there went to a cafe for breakfast for 2 hours & then went home.

I spent the whole rest of the day crying because I imagined what my baby shower SHOULD be like - like the huge big ones my other friends had had, with games & cake & presents & the mum to be being fussed over.
    I had none of that. And I felt robbed.

But then again, here I am 4 years on & out of those people only 2 are still my friends & I cherish them dearly.

For my second bub I had a blessing way & had the most magical day with the most amazing women & friends....and it was perfect.

I guess what I am saying is that even though it isnt what you THOUGHT it would be, it may be even better! Enjoy & appreciate the people that ARE coming & enjoy your day.....

Thanks
    Reviews
    at least you have 10 friends comming! not trying to crash ur thread but ONE of the reasons i dont want a baby shower, ever, is because i can count on one hand the number of people i'd invite...and that's family!
    It is a shame your good friends have cancelled on you, some doing so very rudely, i may add.