Got the results for my NS today my risk of DS is 1:268 which isnt to much of a risk in my thoughts but my PAPP level was only 0.4 baby had a neck fold of 3mm. This is my 4 baby and our 1st together.
The doctor has suggested a CVS or amnio to check for abnormalities. Or to wait till 18weeks for the amnio.
I feel like my heart is being ripped in 2. I dont know if the risks of the other tests outway just leaving it and wait to see what fate give us.
My head is a mess there this is our 5th child but 1st together. I dont know how i would cope woith a late term still birth if there is something wrong. I get bad anxiety and feel like nmy chest is caving in and dont really want to feel like this for the next 6 months. I dont want to make my baby suffer if there is something wrong. But i am so scared that i will loose the baby from doing this test and if the results come back bad how will i deal with letting my baby go, birthing it.
Im so scared and lost.
+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 10 of 13
09-10-2012 19:46 #1
nucal scan........I dont know where to go from here :(
09-10-2012 20:03 #2
We were given a similar downs risk. Ours was 1:255 Nuchal fold was 3mm, papp-a was 0.24. A chose not to go with invasive tests as the results wouldn't affect the end result of our pregnancy. I think if it is important to you not to have a downs syndrome baby then maybe consider the test, if it doesn't matter then would the test really be worth it. Remember though that your result is still well less than half a percent.
09-10-2012 20:15 #3
Hi, I just wanted to say I hope all goes well for you, and that if you wanted to talk about what it's like to have a child with Down syndrome, please feel free to PM me. I'm happy to answer any questions.
09-10-2012 20:31 #4
I couldn't read and not reply. With DD1 we had a 1/32 chance of DS with me being 25. We opted to have the CVS only because I wanted to be prepared if there was something wrong, also the stress I thought would also effect the baby. I spoke to the genetic councillor at the hospital who was fantastic! The CVS was done abdominally under ultrasound so they could see where the needle was so it didn't go near the baby. It was done with a local anaesthetic and didn't hurt at all. I am pleased to say that we have a beautiful healthy 2 year old DD. We now have 2 babies and didnt have any issues 2nd time, but if we did I would probably test again. But each individual have their own reasons. If DD1 did have DS we wouldn't have terminated but I needed to know.
09-10-2012 20:53 #5Senior Member
- Join Date
- May 2012
This was a decision I struggled with myself. We chose not to have any of the tests for this done, including the nt as I would not go any further than the scan and it is common to receive a concerning risk factor from the nt scan which later turns out to be nothing my doctor advised.
being you have already had that done, my drs advice for the rest of the process was will I have the amino done with the known risks associated with it. If I did and it turned out the baby did have downs what would I do from there. Would I terminate or continue with the pregnancy. His argument was if I wouldn't terminated, and I wouldn't have the amino there was no point in having them done.
so basically, my advice is to think the whole process through and make the decision based on yours and other half beliefs. At the end of the day you are the ones who have to live with your decision, so you are the only one who can make the decision that is right for you.
whatever you decide I hope everything works out for you.
09-10-2012 21:00 #6
Hugs - it's very hard isn't it? Our risk is 1:288 with quite similar results to yours.
We decided do decline any further tests as we felt the risk of invasive diagnostic tests wasn't worth it, as we were quite sure we wouldn't terminate regardless of the result.
We had the 19 week morph scan & all looked good with bub measuring large, and whilst its no guarantee of a baby with the normal number of chromosomes, we are feeling really good about it all. I think it helps to do a bit of research into having a baby with down syndrome as well - its not so scary when you read blogs written honestly by mums celebrating their beautiful, capable children. Besides you can get a 1:20000 result & still have a bub with an abnormality. The only guarantee we have is that we will love our baby - everything else is just chance.
We never did the nuchal scan with our first & if we ever go for a third there's no way I'll do it again. So much (almost always unnecessary) worry!
Whatever you choose will be the right choice for you. I wish you all the best.
09-10-2012 21:14 #7
Just wanted to add - the very skilled sonographer who did our morph scan said that if we were in the UK we wouldn't be considered high risk... their cut off point is 1:150. So it's very much an arbitrary set of numbers IMO.
09-10-2012 21:45 #8
09-10-2012 22:08 #9
Hello. I feel for you. I had similar results and stressed. I actually asked for an other referral , went to a different ultrasound place, which was brilliant. They spent an hour with me,mlooking at all the soft markers for ds, and from that I decided not to have further testing. By then I was 14 weeks. The first place rushed me in and out, threw the results at me, and didn't really explain the markers. I also changed obs as the first ob was so chilled about the whole thing and this didn't relax me in any way!
just had the 19 week scan, the sonographer was amazing, she looked at every marker and everything looked great.
i guess you have to think what would you do with the results or would you like to be prepared?
Fingers crossed for you.
pm me if you want.
10-10-2012 00:32 #10
Hugs! I know its hard!
I cried for weeks when i gor my scan results.
I think theres a blood test you can do that tests for down syndrome. I know you cam send samples overseas at a cost, not sure if you can do it here yet.
I had a good nt scan and good blood results, but then at 20 wk scan an echogenic focus was found in the heart which is a marker for downs. I didnt go to amnio. No matter what we keeping the baby, even if shes got downs, we created her so we will love her just the same.
Baby due today but shes not ready to come out yet i guess! Cant wait to meet her!
By Evas34 in forum Pregnancy & Birth General ChatReplies: 5Last Post: 30-10-2012, 11:33
By Bonkers in forum General ChatReplies: 8Last Post: 19-05-2012, 07:01
Prams and StrollersLooking to buy a pram or stroller? :: Viewer reviews of prams :: Pram Buyers ...
LATESTWhy it is OK for your child to be differentWhat is a blessing way? How is it different to a baby shower?7 ways to break the ‘mumnotony’ at home
POPULARWhen can I start giving chores to my children?New baby nursery checklist – a guide to newborn essentialsWhat to pack for labour and hospital – a checklist
FORUMS - chatting now ...
A - Z of Baby Boy NamesGames & fun stuff
A - Z of baby girl namesGames & fun stuff
Pokemon go. Chat #2General Chat
Egg Donation in South Africa #14Egg Donation
Bulk-Billing may end for after-hours home doctor services - petition!Can you help with these campaigns?
What do you think is the best resource for new Mums?General Parenting Tips, Advice & Chat
Love to dream-Swaddle Up bagsGeneral Sleeping & Settling Chat