+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default How did you know when you were 'ready' to have kids?

Hi ladies,

I posted a similar thread in the TTC part of the forum, but thought I might also post here to hear some stories . I will try cut down my post, because the previous one was a bit of a monster!

I was just hoping to hear from you all about when you knew it was the 'right time' for you and your DH/DP to start on your TTC journey.

Was it a particular event that spurred you into action? Was it the fact that you both just knew it felt 'right'? Was it because you had finally reached a good place with your career/financial/life situation? Did family pressures come in to it at all? Or did it just happen by accident and you then made your life around it.

I guess I'm just interested as to what changed for you between not wanting kids, and wanting them. What flicked the switch for you.

Last edited by onlyjuststarting; 11-12-2012 at 13:16.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    What made us feel that we were ready was when we started to constantly talk about life in the sense of ''imagine when we have kids, we will ... '' and just imagining all the time what our kids would look like, we would go to the shops and browse in the baby section and feel all excited.. then i moved onto noticing that almost every 2-3rd woman out there seemed to be pregnant. I was a tad worried about how much life would change (naturally.. that's a thought too) and it seemed the longer it took to ttc the more emotional it became. we had every test under the sun done and we were fine, only for them to say it was unexplained infertility. 2.5 years later we concieved dd, but by that stage we had gone thru a rollercoaster of emotions of how ''much'' we wanted a baby.. I didn't care about my job anymore, i became a nervous wreck, i made myself sick. BUT... it eventually happened and with ds we went straight onto fertility treatment and on my very last round of that i fell pregnant and now i naturally fell pregnant again to our suprise!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    For me it was a combination of factors.

I had to be set in my life in terms of study/career. I could think of nothing worse than studying while having a baby (partly because I feel I couldn't relax/enjoy/spend time with bub if I had the pressures of study still hanging over my neck.

I also had to do travel: an Overseas trip.

Once these things happened I found myself yearning for a bub.

When you are ready to have a kid you will know it. You will think "ok, let's get started on making this kid" and won't even worry about previous reservations.

Good luck.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My moment:

Losing my last remaining grand parent and seeing how it affected my father. I realized I wanted to give my dad as much time as possible with his grandchildren.

I was pretty much already ready, that just helped me along!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Last edited by onlyjuststarting; 11-12-2012 at 13:15.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    We left it to the universe as were were giving ourselves 3mths to fall pregnsnt. I stopped the pill then fell pregnant that cycle. It seemed that it was meant to be.

I can understand your dilemma sbout career and family. I too applied for medicine but cancelled the interview i got because i wanted to be the primary care giver of my babies and be home for a long time with them. I work part time as a pathology scientist and now also have my teaching quals.

My 2 best friends are doctors. 1 wrnt back full time when her daughter was 5mths old as she got into a training program to be a obgyn and had to start. The other is switching to GP from orthopedics as she would like her life back and wants kids/family. Both know that extended periods out of the workforce isnt a real option.

What do you want to do? We wanted kids more than travel or a house. Dh has a steady job and we knew we would manage well on one income Our fear was age related infertility. Im 28 now with 2 kids and happy to wait for a couple of years before we add to our brood.

headoverfeet is offline The truth will set you free, but first it will **** you off. -Gloria Steinem
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    We had been yerning for a while, our first christmas together we went into the city on Friday night to look at the decorations and I got all teary at david jones went across the mall for a coffee and I started crying because all I had ever wanted to be was a mother hubby agreed to start trying, reality hit on Monday and we decided to wait a bit longer..2 weeks later we found out we had conceived DS1 that night

Whenever I whinge about the kids hubby so kindly reminds me that 'all I wanted to be was a mother'

Thanks
    Reviews
    Last edited by onlyjuststarting; 11-12-2012 at 13:14.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 26/9/2014100 Posts in a week
    I had wanted to start trying as soon as we got married (was so clucky) but I was still at uni and we were living in a tiny granny flat so it wasn't feasible.

Fast forward 2 years and we had bought a house, DH and I were both in well paying jobs, and DH finally agreed that he felt ready. So I stopped taking the pill and we began our TTC journey.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to summastarlet For This Useful Post:

onlyjuststarting  (09-10-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I never had any sort of yearning. I still don't know what that is when people refer to it because it just didn't happen with me.

I guess my age was a factor and I was a bit worried that if I didn't have a baby, that I would regret it. Now that I have DS it would definitely have been a massive regret.

I also think I'd travelled, partied, worked hard enough at my career and for me the timing was right, for not regretting not having done any of these things either.

Not an overwhelmingly maternal response but an honest one.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to babyla For This Useful Post:

onlyjuststarting  (09-10-2012)