ADVERTISEMENT

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Please do not get a purebred pug for your mother if she intends on doing a lot of exercise with it. Personally, pugs are one of my favourite dogs but they do shed a lot & cannot handle a lot of exercise (especially in the heat) due to the fact that they are a brachycephalic (short nose) breed & can suffer a lot of breathing/health issues & also a lot of eye problems. Of course every dog needs exercise but if your mum wants a jogging buddy than i don't think this is the dog for her.

Different breeds are prone to different health issues, so please do your homework & if you decide to buy a purebred from a registered breeder, make sure the dog is of quality breeding & there are no history of health issues in it's lineage, believe me it's worth it in the long run. I'm a vet & i see people who buy 'cute' puppies without knowing anything about where it came from or if the dog will fit their lifestyle & they either end up with the dog constantly at the vet or the dog ends up in a shelter.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I havent read all the replies but I love JRT they are awesome but that is if you have a firm hand in their training, you can nover let them think they have the upper hand. I had 7 at one time and was in heaven. Mine didnt bark unless they heard someone coming to the house, they didnt nip at all. They didnt dig but this was because they knew they better not or the pack leader (me) would be very angry and they would be in trouble.

If you mom has a firm hand, and will not be afraid to show them who the boss is then it could work if not then I would go with a more docile dog.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Jack Russell's? Your opinion...

What about a toy poodle? Small, doesn't shed, most intelligent breed of dog. Not sure how active they are though.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to SpicyTurtle For This Useful Post:

Lovemyfam  (24-11-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews

I have a mini sausage dog (daschund). He is the best dog in the world and oh so cute. Very smart. Very fine coat -does not shed hair- low maintenance. Beautiful nature and a great companion. Wonderful around my new baby (not jealous at all). He is very active - goes for 2 big walks a day and follows my husband around the farm all day too. Gets on with the other big working dogs too. He is an inside and outside dog (has a bed on verandah but also likes a cuddle on the couch or lie in front of the heater during winter. We can't imagine life without him. He has made our little family really happy. That said, some dashies can be aggressive mongrels too. Totally depends on the individual dog and how it is treated but I recommend them and have personally never met a sausage dog I didn't like

Thanks
    Reviews

So sad to see such negative responses about jack russells :-( We have 2, and absolutely love them to death. Growing up I always had big dogs (great Danes and rotties) but wouldn't have anything other jr's now.

We have a really short haired female, best dog EVER! She only barks if someone is at the front door but when told to sh and sit, she is happy to sit at the front door without anything further. She hardly sheds, but i do quickly run a grooming mit over both dogs when they are fiven their treats in the mornings. Have a longer haired male too, he is only young so not as well behaved as our female but still never nips or barks, he does shed a bit more though. They are both super loving, really obedient (very trainable and intelligent) and great with friends kids and our nephews.

To me they are the perfect dog, they are like a big dog to me but in a small package and I love that I can pick them up for cuddles. As long as you are firm with them from the beginning and they are exercised regularly (mine get a 45-60 min walk/run each morning) you will eliminate many of the negative traits pp have highlighted

Thanks
    Reviews
    My mum has a pure breed jack r. She is a total softie. Not a bad bone in her body. She isn't a huge walker though. My RSPCA dog or love of my life meets all the criteria though! She Is a border collie x corgi. We had west highland terriers growing up, they are so lovely! they would need a half hour walk or so a day.