ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISEMENT

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Shout It Out View Post
    What about a beagle? One of the tenants here needs a small dog for her house as its only a small vila. She has a 5yo girl and 11yo son with autism. She researched for a few months and thinks a beagel would be good. Not too sheddy nor yappy, but still good guard dog.
    Beagles? Are we talking about the same type of dog here? They are known for barking.. LOTS. Every beagle I know bark alot.. nice dog but bark alot. Depends where your mum lives OP. Beagles are more a medium sized dog though.

I would suggest a mini foxie, a pug or a jug, a spaniel. Cocker spaniels are meant to be beautiful dogs but also more medium than small.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Renesme View Post
    Beagles? Are we talking about the same type of dog here? They are known for barking.. LOTS. Every beagle I know bark alot.. nice dog but bark alot. Depends where your mum lives OP. Beagles are more a medium sized dog though.

I would suggest a mini foxie, a pug or a jug, a spaniel. Cocker spaniels are meant to be beautiful dogs but also more medium than small.
    Lol yes a beagle. The tenant insist she knows the parents and they are quiet things. I guess with all breeds it does come to excersize and socializing. But thats with kids too. If I dont let my 3yo run wild at the park in the morning, he climbs the walls in the house instead hehe

My parents had a foxy cross dachshund (all their dogs and our dogs came from the pounds)and he was the most sweetest dog ever. We had to put him down 6 years ago due to cancer and I still cry when thinking of him
    Cute little face with 1 ear up and 1 ear down. Didn' bark excessively, only when strangers entered the house, barely shed coz he was short haired and got a bath every 2 weeks. He was also very very very affectionate.
    He wasnt little. He was an 11 kilos dog between small and medium size.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I have two beagles x cavaliers and they do not bark (Unless someone is outside eg guarding etc).

They don't shed that much hair (i brush them once a week just because i'm anal). In summer of course they lose their winter coat so a bit more then. They are very affectionate and need lots of TLC. If you are out they require toys, and when home yes exercise! This is when dogs bark this is any dog though thats just my opinion.

Cavaliers are VERY protective, we have had to put two down just for not letting anyone near my mum & I.

My grandma has a mini foxy and its nippy, and a jack russel he barks at the tv and is such a PITA! you pat him in certain spots and he bites you to say "**** off".

If your mum loves exercising I would go with a beagle for sure, especially if you have children as they are very loving caring dogs to socialize with

Our next dog is a newfoundland and I cannot wait

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Any breed of dog can be a PITA if not trained or looked after correctly. Jack Russels are no exception. If trained effectively, exercised and loved from day one, they can be fantastic little dogs.

Pretty much all dogs shed heaps of hair except for poodles. Maltese and crosses still shed hair but it's finer so you don't notice so much.

Good luck choosing a dog from your mum, I would go to your local pound or shelter and choose a dog that needs a home.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Poodles do actually still shred & only a small % are allergy free Just so people are aware of that.

Animal shelter is a great option, depending on the type of dog you are looking for

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by CazHazKidz View Post
    Any breed of dog can be a PITA if not trained or looked after correctly.
    This. I have a Australian Shepherd. The breed was the perfect choice for me. But even within breeds, each dog is an individual. We ended up with a more challenging dog, but with a lot of extra work he has turned out fine.

Have you considered this breed : http://animal.discovery.com/breed-se...n-terrier.html
    Or adopting one from the dogs home would be a great idea also.

But if you do go with a breeder, make sure to meet the parents, and that the puppies are temperament tested. Breeders should be able to tell from about 8 weeks which puppies are likely to have more dominant, submissive, or neutral traits.
    Does she have the time for raising a puppy? After raising my first dog from a puppy I've decided I'll adopt an adult dog next time. Here are some adult Jack Russel's looking for homes : http://www.dogzonline.com.au/breeds/...ll-terrier.asp

Thanks
    Reviews
    If you want a small non shredder who loves exercise consider an Italian greyhound (though useless as a guard dog)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    We used to breed pure jack russels, both long hair and short.
    They would be perfect for your mother!

The yapping, hyperactivity and nipping are usually a result of lack of training and excercise.

If your mother is happy to spend time training a dog then a JR would be good because they crave exercise and attention.

If you want one that doesn't shed then i suggest a long/wire haired JR, although even short haired ones don't shed that much.

They are very loyal and protective of their 'territory' and owners.

A female is probably less likely to protect and less likely to bark.

Honestly they aren't a bad breed at all, they just aren't a lap dog that can survive with little or no attention and exercise.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I might suggest the RSPCA at least she can have a chat to them.
    She isn't after a guard dog as such more something that will alert her.. Old people go weird... She probably just wants something that will bark at the post man.
    Also I think she is getting lonely and wants something around.

So a big fat no for jack Russell's.

Personally I think she should get a Doberman (love them!) but she shot that idea right down. Has to be smallish. Large dogs scare her.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think nearly all little dogs suffer from big dog syndrome and will alert her to any change in the environment by their incessant yapping so if she wants something that will bark at the postie as long as it is small and has a voice box she'll have that one covered!

Sorry, I'm definitely a medium-large breed dog fan

I will say though that there are two pugs who live down the road...crazy, energetic little dogs that will bark as you approach the fence but because we know them by name they stop barking and then snort and lick my kids hands through the fence. My kids love them and they would definitely have enough energy for a walk.