ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISEMENT

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    headoverfeet is offline The truth will set you free, but first it will **** you off. -Gloria Steinem
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week

Default 5yr old refusing to wipe own bum!

So DS1 is just 5 and he refuses to wipe his own bum after #2 I have tried the gental approach I have tried refusing to do it but he just won't do it! Am I asking too much? Any advice on how to encourage him to do it?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Hey hon.. do you talk to him much about starting school? I'm guessing he'll be starting prep next year? Maybe you could tell him that when he's at school there'll be no one to wipe for him, and he's going to have to learn to do it himself before then.

Otherwise can you bribe him with treats or rewards for doing it right? I know some people are agains bribery and treats, but it works for Hayden. haha. He'll do pretty much anything he's asked for a freddo frog

headoverfeet is offline The truth will set you free, but first it will **** you off. -Gloria Steinem
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Hi he already goes to kindy 5 days a fortnight and last time I asked he doesn't poop there I have tried bribery with chocolate drops but he still won't do it and I really don't want to do food bribes as it makes ds2 do the same thing then they are both eating chocolate when they don't need the extra sugar IYKWIM..

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Hi headoverfeet, a nice pack of 'special undies' (eg ones with pictures on them) worked for me. DS1 and DS2 knew they could wear their special undies as a treat for wiping. Or if not, maybe nice pyjamas that he chooses that he can wear if he wipe himself that day. Also, I find that the get a better result using a nappy wipe IYKWIM, so I always keep a pack in the toilet Aaaahhh the things we do! Good luck!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to littleriv For This Useful Post:

CazHazKidz  (08-10-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    DS didnt want to do it for ages. I was still wiping him at 6 and quite frankly big boy poo is A LOT different to baby poo. Frankly it was just getting gross.

I basically worked out that he was afraid to have poo all over his bum, that he wasnt sure if he was wiping properly and didnt want poo on his undies (he is a bit of a clean freak). So bascially I told him to go and look at his bum in the mirror so he can see if he is all clean and that has worked. Also I got him some of those flushable bum wipes so that helped too.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FluffyDucks For This Useful Post:

CazHazKidz  (08-10-2012),headoverfeet  (08-10-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    double post

OJandMe is offline I am the strength my children will have.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    You know.... I'd just flow with it. Get some flushable wipes.

If he wants you to wipe him, them wipe him and while you're doing that say something like "One day you won't need me to do this for you any more, and then you'll know you're getting bigger. How Exciting!" ..

and then one day, he won't want you to... and then you just make sure he washes his hands properly.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by OJandMe View Post
    You know.... I'd just flow with it. Get some flushable wipes.

If he wants you to wipe him, them wipe him and while you're doing that say something like "One day you won't need me to do this for you any more, and then you'll know you're getting bigger. How Exciting!" ..

and then one day, he won't want you to... and then you just make sure he washes his hands properly.
    But it's gross I know you're right though I was just hoping for some magic solution?

OJandMe is offline I am the strength my children will have.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Have you asked why he doesn't want too? Maybe he thinks it's too dirty. Maybe a packet of disposable plastic gloves he can put on before wiping himself might make him feel better about it???

Hmm not sure. Mine have all just got to a day when they just don't ask any more.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by OJandMe View Post
    Have you asked why he doesn't want too? Maybe he thinks it's too dirty. Maybe a packet of disposable plastic gloves he can put on before wiping himself might make him feel better about it???

Hmm not sure. Mine have all just got to a day when they just don't ask any more.
    He says he doesn't want to get poo on himself.