ADVERTISEMENT

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you

Default Car seat dilemmas - what to do?

Hey all, so i currently have 3 children all in carseats. My son who just turned one is still rear facing as he's not 9kgs yet and i'd prefer to keep him rear facing as long as possible. But his head is pretty much touching the top of his seat now, so i'm wondering whether to invest in a better car seat that rear faces for longer, or whether to just move my nearly 7 year old out of his maxi rider and put my DS3 in it and he can face forward instead.

Then i'd have the two littlies in maxi riders, but then i'm not sure i wanna just have my 7 year old without a car seat at all. Legally after 7 in QLD he doesn't require a carseat, but would you still have your 7 year old in some sort of booster? If so for how long, and what type of seat would you recommend?

Do you think if i just moved my DS3 into my DS1's maxi rider and then DS1 didn't have a car seat at all, i guess is the easiest option, but i'm still concerned about both their safety and not sure which way to go, carseats are expensive and i'm not sure i wanna spend big bucks on something that's not needed and only has a limited use.

Thanks for any help

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    There's a new carseat by Infa Secure that uses the height markers for rear facing, it can rf to 15kg and is under $150. A great option if you decide to buy a new seat

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to atomicmama For This Useful Post:

mrswhitehouse  (14-10-2012),V8  (09-10-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Why can't you forward face your 1 year old in the car seat he is in now and leave your other two in the maxi riders they have?
    If there is a legit reason why you can't then I would buy a booster for your 7 year old unless he is ready height and weight wise to not be in a car seat any more. It can then be used as a spare seat for your other car/grandparents etc. so it doesn't seem like it's a waste of money.
    At the end of the day, if you need to spend money on a car seat for a short amount of time then do so. I imagine that if you had an accident you would be thankful you spent the money to keep your children safe.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Wastingtime For This Useful Post:

V8  (09-10-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    How big is your 7-year-old? Does the seat belt sit on his shoulder, not up around his ear? Does his knees reach the end of the seat? If not he's probably not big enough for just the seat.

I reckon you have two options:

1. Get another seat that you can RF for longer. I've just bought a SNS Lifestyle as our third seat. My very petite 23-month-old should technically be RF in it, because he doesn't reach the FF markers, but I've had to turn him FF for the logistics of three in the backseat! He's just over 10kg and 82cm tall. I think it was $339, and is a very narrow seat, if that's something you need.

2. Get a booster for your eldest. We have an SNS Hi-liner, which my DS will be able to sit in until he is 8 or 9. I paid around $200 for it, I think. Or you can get an Infa Vario booster, which is sold under different names at different stores. Big W have them for about $129.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Susan Mac For This Useful Post:

V8  (09-10-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I would leave your 7 year old in a booster. As the OP mentioned the SnS Hiliner and Infa Vario are the two best rated boosters, they range from about $100-170 in price.

If you can afford it, I would also be inclined to get your youngest a new car seat that can RF for longer. I personally wouldn't forward face a baby that small. Rear facing is a much safer option.

The SnS Compaq, Lifestyle or similar model Trojan, Haven etc are good options. They range in price from $250-400 but are often on sale.

There is also the Infa Neon which has very high height markers and is around $170 from Big W

Here is the 5 step test to determine if your child can sit safely without a booster (after they turn 7 years of course):
    The 5-Step Test.

1. Does the child sit all the
    way back against the auto seat?
    2. Do the child's knees bend comfortably at
    the edge of the auto seat?
    3. Does the belt cross the shoulder between the
    neck and arm?
    4. Is the lap belt as low as possible, touching the thighs?

5. Can the child stay seated like this for the whole trip?

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lei79 For This Useful Post:

mrswhitehouse  (14-10-2012),V8  (09-10-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Quote Originally Posted by MummaHan View Post
    There's a new carseat by Infa Secure that uses the height markers for rear facing, it can rf to 15kg and is under $150. A great option if you decide to buy a new seat
    Thank you, i am inclined to buy a new carseat for the littlest, he's using my eldests first carseat, so it's 6/7 years old now anyways, i shall check out that as an option as i'd really prefer him to stay RF as long as possible.

Quote Originally Posted by Wastingtime View Post
    Why can't you forward face your 1 year old in the car seat he is in now and leave your other two in the maxi riders they have?
    If there is a legit reason why you can't then I would buy a booster for your 7 year old unless he is ready height and weight wise to not be in a car seat any more. It can then be used as a spare seat for your other car/grandparents etc. so it doesn't seem like it's a waste of money.
    At the end of the day, if you need to spend money on a car seat for a short amount of time then do so. I imagine that if you had an accident you would be thankful you spent the money to keep your children safe.
    Thanks for that too, i didn't even think to put him in his seat forward facing and keep the other two as they are, what a doofus i am, thank you, that makes sense and is a decent solution aswell. I still am hesitant about the whole FF thing though so i think i'd be more comfortable finding a more suitable carseat that will RF for longer. I might get another booster aswell, i'll see, it won't hurt, and then i'll have other seats spare for grandparents etc if needed. Thanks for your advice

Quote Originally Posted by Susan Mac View Post
    How big is your 7-year-old? Does the seat belt sit on his shoulder, not up around his ear? Does his knees reach the end of the seat? If not he's probably not big enough for just the seat.

I reckon you have two options:

1. Get another seat that you can RF for longer. I've just bought a SNS Lifestyle as our third seat. My very petite 23-month-old should technically be RF in it, because he doesn't reach the FF markers, but I've had to turn him FF for the logistics of three in the backseat! He's just over 10kg and 82cm tall. I think it was $339, and is a very narrow seat, if that's something you need.

2. Get a booster for your eldest. We have an SNS Hi-liner, which my DS will be able to sit in until he is 8 or 9. I paid around $200 for it, I think. Or you can get an Infa Vario booster, which is sold under different names at different stores. Big W have them for about $129.
    Thank you very much, shall look at those seats you suggested, its so overwhelming with all the different rules and things now, but i definately want them all to be safe while driving. So i'll check out and do some more research on those particular brands.

Quote Originally Posted by lei79 View Post
    I would leave your 7 year old in a booster. As the OP mentioned the SnS Hiliner and Infa Vario are the two best rated boosters, they range from about $100-170 in price.

If you can afford it, I would also be inclined to get your youngest a new car seat that can RF for longer. I personally wouldn't forward face a baby that small. Rear facing is a much safer option.

The SnS Compaq, Lifestyle or similar model Trojan, Haven etc are good options. They range in price from $250-400 but are often on sale.

There is also the Infa Neon which has very high height markers and is around $170 from Big W

Here is the 5 step test to determine if your child can sit safely without a booster (after they turn 7 years of course):
    The 5-Step Test.

1. Does the child sit all the
    way back against the auto seat?
    2. Do the child's knees bend comfortably at
    the edge of the auto seat?
    3. Does the belt cross the shoulder between the
    neck and arm?
    4. Is the lap belt as low as possible, touching the thighs?

5. Can the child stay seated like this for the whole trip?

Thank you for this, i made him get in the car without a seat and then put him in his maxi and took some piccies to give a guide as to how he looks sitting in the seat without a car seat, i think he looks too little, and i'd prefer him to stay in his maxi rider, his head is over the top of the seat, but is that bad? His straps are still one below the top straps. Is there an option to use the Maxi Rider with the normal seat belt and thus use it as a booster, rather than with the 5 point harness?

Shall attach some piccies of the boys in the carseats.

Thanks again all, it's all so confusing!

Iphone Pics 2012 141.jpg

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Sorry, having dramas uploading pics, hope this works from FB -

Josh in his maxi rider

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I know with the maxi rider you can remove the 5 point harness and use it as a standard booster seat. Also, did you know (I only found this out by accident) the 5 point harness is rated to only 20kgs in the old maxi riders!!! I have the problem where my stepdaughter isn't 3 yet but is around the 20kg mark so we have to get a different harness for the maxi rider. The Infa secure Vario is a fairly good booster seat (I got sold it by an idgit who didn't know the laws for my stepdaughter and I didn't either) and has an added strap to convert the standard seat belt into a 4 point seat belt. Hope this helps you out. (BTW I would just use the maxi rider without the 5 point harness as a booster!!!)

14. The Following User Says Thank You to smidget3004 For This Useful Post:

V8  (10-10-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Just weighed Josh and he's only 20.5kgs, so I think he could use the maxi rider as a booster will have to double check that. I am keeping Mitch rear facing for. Ow till I look into using a better seat, thanks for the recommendations