+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default 2 year old - Sleep

Hi everyone,

after some advice/thoughts etc. My recently turned 2 year old daughter has started to scream and scream when put in her cot. she screams so bed. It seems as though she is scared of something. I am not too keen on her sleeping in my bed but at this stage it is the only way she will get some sleep. Needless to say I don't get much sleep as she moves around everywhere and I hear every move/breath she takes. She use to be fine at self settling from about 18 months, however this scared business has started a week ago. A light dosen't help either. I guess I'm looking for a light at the end of the tunnel!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Can she sleep on a mattress on the floor of your room? Our 2yo used to wake up screaming in the middle of the night but now since we co sleep, she just wanders into our bed in the middle of the night from her room.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Has anything happened to unsettle her?

Rather than bring her into your room, I would sit next to her cot so she knows you are close by and so you can give her a pat and reassure her that it's ok. Stay there until he falls asleep (bring a book!) and gradually move your chair further away from the cot if she'll let you until you are out of the room (the gradual retreat method of sleep training). This works for us when DS has times when he cries when I leave the room.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    My DD just did this the other night (she is 3 in Dec). It coincided with daylights savings but kept saying she was afraid. We thankfully had a spare dimmer switch from ikea so put it on her lamp and turned it down low and that seemed to make her happy. We sneak it later and turn it off. HTH.

Thanks
    Reviews
    DS1 did this at around the same age, we thought he was afraid of something and would console him no end and in the end let him scream, but this just didn't work and left us feeling horrible!

Here's what worked for us:

1) got him a night light
    2) got some soothing music that helped become part of the night time ritual (he turns it on when we pick him up to do so)
    3) I put a chair (near, not next to) his bed and would sit on it, saying minimal and no eye contact. Each night I'd move it a bit further away until I was in the doorway - but I'd sit there and just say nothing (unless he was screaming I'd say "sleep time sweet heart" or something like that.

Eventually he didn't need us there, we put it down to a bit of separation anxiety on his behalf, like you, putting him in bed with us wasn't what we wanted to do and on the odd occasion DH would bring him in, it would just exaccerbate the situation.

Our DS 1 & 2 are only 12 months apart, they share a room and DS2 is just about to turn 2. He doesn't get the night terrors, but he's a terror of other sorts hahahaha, so I have my chair outside their door which they know if mummy is sitting on it she means business!

Good luck in finding something that works for your little one