+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default How do you cope when...

everyone has gastro????

DS had a massive dose of vomiting and still has the runs.

DH has just had a massive hurl and I think I'm right behind him...

I'm scared about the next 24 hours!

Any tips or advice please

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Oh DH and I both had this at the same time when I was also in my first trimester with severe morning sickness and we had a new puppy too. It's terrible, do you have anyone who can come help out like your mum or MIL? Just to keep you all hydrated etc.
    Hydralyte/gastrolyte and ice blocks help. Best of luck. If it gets really bad, if you have a radio doctor they can give you an injection of stematil or maxolon

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Sarelou For This Useful Post:

babyla  (07-10-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Oh gosh I feel for you. Get everything you need in one spot now why you can...jugs of water, naloies, wipes, toothpaste etc. and then you just survive the best way you can.
    I feel for you. When our DD was 6 months old DH and I both had it at the same time and it wasn't easy.
    It has been going through our house for the last 4 weeks (one at a time) and I have been in bed/on the bathroom floor since Thursday afternoon. It's lucky DH is still healthy because I can barely manage to shower myself.
    Good luck!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Wastingtime For This Useful Post:

babyla  (07-10-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    this was us last weekend....and it is still going on and off...

we got out the spare matress and set it up in our dining room...DH and I took turns at napping/caring for DD...deal was...while she was vomiting we were both on duty...if one of us needed the loo or vomit...the other took over with dd.

it was messy as...but we survived.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to River Song For This Useful Post:

babyla  (07-10-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Thanks for the tips! I wish my mum was here - she's OS for 5 weeks!

I shall bunker down and get prepared!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Do you have a neighbour or friend you can call on to do a bread/biscuit hydralite run if you need it? They can just drop it at the door.
    Oh and if you get to the point you need a doctor to come to you tell them you are all sick and have no one to help with the baby and need medical assistance. My DH rang for a docotr for me on Fri morning but there have been so many people with it in our area that have needed medical treatment that no one could come and I was told to ring an ambulance if it got too bad.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Wastingtime For This Useful Post:

babyla  (07-10-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ended 19/6/2014
    I would stock up on some powerade now before the worse is to come.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to HarvestMoon For This Useful Post:

babyla  (07-10-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I just read these replies to DH - he is scared, very scared.

Thanks again everyone. We're just bracing ourselves.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    I feed people white foods when stuff like this happens. It tends to stay in the belly better. Potatoes, plain pasta, white bread, white rice, etc. So I'd just make sure I had that stuff on standby. White toast is the easiest. I put a SMEAR of vegemite or something on it if they refuse it plain.

Powerade/Gatorade for the electrolytes if gastrolite is refused. I mean, that stuff is nasty, so I can see why kids turn it down. I wouldn't drink it either. You could make ice-blocks out of the powerade too if that makes it more likely to be consumed by children.

Otherwise buckets, communal sleeping (like in the lounge on mattresses) so you cna all just slack off in front of DVDs and whatever, and you can check on them all night.

THat;'s how I deal with it anyway.

No gastro at the moment, but DD has a fever and is spewy, so she's been mostly eating toast and being forced to drink all day.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to SassyMummy For This Useful Post:

babyla  (07-10-2012)

headoverfeet is offline The truth will set you free, but first it will **** you off. -Gloria Steinem
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I do it hour by hour thankfully I have only had gastro once when the kids have had it, the boys were quiet young and it was horrible we camped out in the lounge (lino) on a spare mattress. I utilized the dryer a lot. Thankfully they are at the age now that they get vomit into a bucket 99% of the time which makes it so much easier!

17. The Following User Says Thank You to headoverfeet For This Useful Post:

babyla  (07-10-2012)