+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default waterbirth after 3rd degree tear

Hi ladies
    as my title suggests, is it possible to have a water birth after a 3rd degree tear? I also have some pelvic floor issues I am seeing a physio about who said that I will be offered a csection for my next birthing opportunity, but if i want to go natural again to get into a midwife program because they help push for a water birth, if that makes sense?
    btw I am not expecting again, i just want to see what is possible for the next one as dh and i are ready to start trying again
    thanks ladies

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Waterbirth is awesome to reduce the chance of a tear. Breathing baby out, rather than pushing; and using gravity and positioning to allow everything to open and stretch are also going to help. A doula or independent midwife can be invaluable in reminding you of how you want to birth and slow things down if necessary.

Best wishes.

Busy-Bee is offline Offending people since before Del :D
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    I didn't have a water birth but I did have a more natural birth the second time around with DD than I had with DS which ended in a 3rd degree tear. I had physio for the tear immediately afterwards and it healed well. I went through a midwifery program with DD but they didn't offer water births. What were the circumstances around your baby's birth? Did you have a spontaneous labour, was there any intervention?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    My Ob said I didn't need a c-section after a 3rd degree tear first time around. He said the risk of a bad 3rd or a 4th degree tear was still very tiny and the risks of a c-section were worse, so why do it? It does depend on your individual situation, but a 3rd degree tear doesn't automatically mean c-section.

I ended up being induced, had an epidural and needed forceps cause my little Miss wasn't so little and her shoulders got stuck. BUT, despite all that I had a small episiotomy and no tear at all!

Thanks
    Reviews
    i went into labour naturally, labour was about 10 hours, pushing for 2, needed vaccum to help him out which resulted in the tear because i didnt hear the dr say to stop pushing.
    i am seeing the physio also for the tear and resulting pelvic floor issues. she may have said that id be offered a csection because of these issues.
    how do you find a doula? i think ill look into that for next one