+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Should I just ditch the cot completely?

DS is nearly 18 months old. A good few months ago he flat out refused to sleep in his cot during the day so after days of a beyond tired and cranky boy I started letting him sleep on his little fold out couch instead which has worked fine. He still slept in his cot happily at night time...well at least until around 4am, then he would come into bed with me for a few hours before waking for the day.

NOW he flat out refuses to sleep in his cot at night too! He seems to go down alright to start with because he's really tired but he lasts one cycle and then he would rather stay up all night than go back into his cot. So I've given up and he has just been spending all night with me now.

Should I ditch the cot completely or keep trying??

Thanks
    Reviews
    Would he perhaps take to a toddler or single bed? My nephew moved to a bed at 15 months with no issues because he hated his cot.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    My kids co-slept then I got them single beds at about 16/17 months. Our cot was such a waste of money lol

Thanks
    Reviews
    I tried taking the rail off his cot so that it was effectively a bed but he hated it! It took so long to get him to sleep that I turned it back into a cot after 2 nights.

It's because he wants me to lay with him though and I can't lay in his cot with him, haha! I'd get a single bed but I don't have enough room in my room for 2 beds...so I guess it's just co-sleeping for now.

Just kicking myself for buying him a brand new cot mattress not too long ago. I'll keep it in the corner just incase

Thanks
    Reviews
    Sorry if this sounds harsh, but are you going to let your toddler rule your life in this way forever? He isn't a newborn anymore and sounds like he may be becoming quite accustomed to the art of manipulation. He will go to sleep when he is tired, so it's up to you as the parent, not him! If you're happy to co-sleep, fine, but just be prepared it could Ho on like that for a very long time...!

It may just be a phase, but either way it's obviously not ideal for him to be waking you and calling the shots otherwise you wouldn't have come here to ask advice...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    You need to choose what you need to do and stick to it for at least 2 weeks. Any transition of any kind can be difficult and if you keep changing what you are doing (cot, cot with no side, co-sleeping, etc) then it will send confusing messages. You might find he refuses to sleep easily in the cot on his own, but if that's what you want to do persist and don't give up after 1 or 2 bad days or nights. It's very hard to do this, but it potentially is very worthwhile. Remember that babies can be grumpy at bedtime and refuse to sleep much for lots of different reasons other than just a change of bed arrangement (sick, overtired, stressed from a busy day) so a single day of not sleeping well doesn't mean the bed arrangement is at fault.

All the best for deciding what you want to do.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Is that a joke? He's not ruling her life, some babies love sleeping with Mum, it's instinct and goes hand in hand with the natural weaning of breastfeeding between 4 to 6 years.

To the OP, if he is flat out refusing to sleep in his cot, I'd get rid of it and swap it for a bed or just keep co-sleeping.. As long as everyone is happy and getting a good night sleep, that's all that matters

Quote Originally Posted by Baracuda View Post
    Sorry if this sounds harsh, but are you going to let your toddler rule your life in this way forever? He isn't a newborn anymore and sounds like he may be becoming quite accustomed to the art of manipulation. He will go to sleep when he is tired, so it's up to you as the parent, not him! If you're happy to co-sleep, fine, but just be prepared it could Ho on like that for a very long time...!

It may just be a phase, but either way it's obviously not ideal for him to be waking you and calling the shots otherwise you wouldn't have come here to ask advice...

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to atomicmama For This Useful Post:

Bubbles10 (04-10-2012),captainscaptain (04-10-2012),intruderalert1234 (04-10-2012),LoCo (04-10-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have to agree with Baracuda. What you suggest has nothing to do with the cot/bed change over.

And as mim1 said, decide on what you want to do and be consistent!

Nomsie is offline Winner 2009/10/11/12/13 - Most helpful Moderator
    Winner 2011 - Naughtiest/Cheekiest Mod
    Winner - Quickest 'Thanker' on the Hub
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Barracuda- Small children are not manipulative. It's not something we are born with, and such thought processes don't develop until quite a few years of age. You are associating an adult emotional process with a child who enjoys the company of his mother.

OP- the question should be- do you enjoy co-sleeping? If you do, then by all means, continue with it! If you don't, then persevere with the cot Not one solution fits all for every family. We don't co-sleep because I like to spread out in bed. (eg DP and I have a king bed and I still find it too restrictive- add a little person or two and I am unhappy!)

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Nomsie For This Useful Post:

Ashram (04-10-2012),captainscaptain (04-10-2012),LoCo (04-10-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Nomsie View Post
    Barracuda- Small children are not manipulative. It's not something we are born with, and such thought processes don't develop until quite a few years of age. You are associating an adult emotional process with a child who enjoys the company of his mother.

OP- the question should be- do you enjoy co-sleeping? If you do, then by all means, continue with it! If you don't, then persevere with the cot Not one solution fits all for every family. We don't co-sleep because I like to spread out in bed. (eg DP and I have a king bed and I still find it too restrictive- add a little person or two and I am unhappy!)
    I took Baracuda's post as saying the toddler is getting what he wants, while mum is not. Therefore mum needs to take control and show bub what she expects from the toddler ie. consistently putting him back to bed/cot until he knows that is what he has to do each night.

I don't think Baracuda was trying to insult or offend anyone?

I agree with Nomsie, is it about co-sleeping or getting him back in the cot - the question has confused BH's & they are VERY different issues!