+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Question Looking at trying for baby number 3

Hi everyone,

df and I have been thinking about trying for baby 3 before ds turns 41/2 he is 2.7 years at the moment. And try and have the baby before is 41/2.

df and I have been doing some talking and df seems to think that a hatch back is way to small for a family with 2 carseats and a capsule /carseat. We currently have a 2012 Hyundai I30 and were looking at upgrading to the new i30 that just came out.

But df seems to think the amount I am going to be spending on the new i30 will buy us a brand new rav4. And that if I buy the i30 I will be selling it when we fall pregnant because we won't have a enough room.

so my question is does any of you ladies have a hatchback and 2 preschoolers and a newborn baby in a hatchback? I would ideally like to save money on the car if I can and use it towards all the baby goodies I would need to buy ahh the thought of another baby shopping spree

Thanks in advance for your replies and sorry if I haven't placed this in the right topic

Thanks
    Reviews
    If both of your kids will be 4 and will be big enough to be in a booster you *might* be able to pull off if you put the baby in a Compaq Deluxe, however even then I'd be testing this theory before purchasing it. Actually, even if you got them all in you would probably never reach down inbetween the car seats to do up the seatbelts on the pre-schooler's. We have a Mazda CX-9 and two kids in slimline boosters and then our youngest in the Compaq Deluxe (smallest convertible car seat on the market) and even in our car you need to do the seatbelts up by feel.

Three car seats in the back of the car take up a lot of room. I love small cars, but having three small children in car seats and requiring a pram does not make a small car a practical purchase at all.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have a Mazda 3 and when our second comes along we will definitely need a new car. I think your husband sounds smart - if you are looking to get a new car soon, take the chance and go bigger as you will definitely need the space. I used to have a Rav 4 (cruiser) and I LOVED it. I would love to get another one soon. They are still great for fuel, have heaps of room, hold their value better than a hyundai and will last a whole lot longer. Sounds like a no brainer to me

Thanks
    Reviews
    See the thing is we did have a 2011 MY 2012 Toyota Rav 4 ZR6 which we sold after 6 Months as it was costing alot in petrol we were spending 110 a week in petrol. Plus it was way to big for us. As DS stopped using a pram at 18 Months. and we thought we wouldnt want anymore children. So we brought a Diesel 2012 Hyundai I30 to save on petrol. We now only spend 40 a week on petrol which gives us over 1000KMs where our old rav would only give us 700 KMs.
    ahh im not sure what to do.

Thanks
    Reviews
    There are more cars out there than a Hyundai i30 and the Rav4 so if you don't want a Rav4 don't buy one...but I highly doubt you will fit three seats in a hatchback and be able to do up seatbelts on the pre-schoolers.

If you buy a brand new car and need to sell it because you physically are not capable of putting three car seats in it then you are going to waste money.

Go and see what kind of car seats you'll use...measure them and then measure the back seat of the Hyundai i30...but bear in mind of the position of the seats too...if the middle seat is raised you won't be able to 'squash' seats in, and then you need enough space to fit your hand down to do up the booster seats.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I would definitely be buying something that you know will fit 3. We have a new model Subaru forester and are preggy with our 3rd we have to upgrade as its way to squishy to fit them all in and trying to add a seatbelt for my 4.5year old would be a nightmare. I seriously doubt a rav4 would be much better. My car has the 3 anchor points but it's still not practical. If you are wanting to spend money on a car now then I suggest really doing your homework on what fits and fits well (not with them slightly raised because they are squished) you definitely want to make your life easier not harder

Thanks
    Reviews
    Mummy2Lilly.
    I sugguest you look at this webpage http://www.mynrma.com.au/motoring/re...ting-guide.htm

It will give you an idea if it will work for your family.

Okay is there a reason you dont want to go to a SUV?
    Is money going to be a problem as in servicing and petrol? Not working so down to one income etc.?
    I can see it would be hard to have 3 children in a hatchback but in the end it is what you and df feel comfortable with.
    How much will you be going out with a new born and 2 pre-schoolers?
    If you dont go out to much then i wouldn't be upgrading cars i would be upgrading maybe when the baby is older.
    Is your current car under some sort of finance?

I am suprised these questions have not been asked.

Good luck and what ever suits your needs are important.