ADVERTISEMENT

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger
    I think having the older child buy the new baby a gift can be really special and reassuring. I was 4 when my Brother was born. My Dad was looking after me while Mum stayed in hospital and promised to take me shopping for a gift for me, obviously to make me feel better while being seperated from Mum. While at the shop he asked if I wanted to get my new brother something so I picked out a small soft toy and a book. Made me feel really happy and that I was important as a "big sister". I would always read that book to him when we were younger, and he kept them all these years and treasures them.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Mama Mirabelle For This Useful Post:

WineTime  (02-10-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Our ds will also be 5 when his brother arrives in December. We are still trying to work out what to buy him as a pressie from his brother as well as giving him some money to buy him a pressie as well. He is very excited about meeting his brother and will talk to my belly so I don't think there will be jealousy but it will be hard for him in the sense that he will be on school holidays and dh is about to start a new job so can't take any time off. Lucky my parents are coming up to help.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to tamute For This Useful Post:

WineTime  (03-10-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    DS1 is 7 and his baby brother is coming most likely next week. We bought a huge car for DS1 which is meant to be from his baby brother. DS1 is crazy about cars so as long as it is a car, he wants it, so it was easy for us to decide what to buy.

Great idea about giving the older child some $ to go shopping for a pressie for the younger one. Maybe we can try too.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Mom2TwoDSs For This Useful Post:

WineTime  (03-10-2012)

Becks23 is offline thank you for a house full of people I love. Amen
    Thanks
    Reviews
    When dd was born she gave ds a train from Thomas tank engine. He gave her a doll it was really sweet.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Becks23 For This Useful Post:

WineTime  (03-10-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    We bought ds a doll & a carrycot/capsule thingie so he had his own baby to care for in hospital. I have a great photo of ds with his doll in his capsule & my dh with our dd in her capsule out the front of the hospital on the way home . He didn't end up playing with it much, but I do think it was a good idea. Kmart is where I bought the play capsule and they have little dolls too.

I think for my ds he really enjoying buying presents for the baby and giving them to her. He also did a great drawing for me to hang up in my hospital room - it's still on the wall in our bedroom where her bassinet was for the first 5 months of her life (she's 1 now).

10. The Following User Says Thank You to mim1 For This Useful Post:

WineTime  (03-10-2012)

munchkin05 is offline just me, my boy and my baby bump
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Did you give your child a gift "from the baby"?

I did with DS when I had DD he was nearly 7 so it was going to be a big adjustment for him to have to share me . But DD "bought" him a game for his ds so that when he was visiting the hospital he had something to do

12. The Following User Says Thank You to munchkin05 For This Useful Post:

WineTime  (03-10-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    We didn't do it when DD2 came along. Doubt we'll do it for subsequent babies either. DD1 has been great and no issues at all. Neither my DH nor I remember receiving gifts from our younger siblings and we all get along fine with no issues. I found that a lot of people who sent gifts for DD2 also sent gifts for DD1 which was nice but totally unnecessary.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to beccacino For This Useful Post:

WineTime  (03-10-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Hi WineTime, yes, we did this time around, as DS1 (age 5) and DS2 (age 4) were old enough to understand that a gift was from the new baby- it made them feel special, just a small something from their long awaited sibbling. The new bub gave each brother a watch- their first watch ever. It has come in handy because each one has learnt that they are not allowed to come out of their rooms until 6am each day (we are early risers here!)

16. The Following User Says Thank You to littleriv For This Useful Post:

WineTime  (03-10-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    What about if your child will only be 18 months old when the new baby is born and has no real understanding of what's actually happening?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    I didn't get anything 'from the baby' but I've been mindful that baby gets a lot of stuff, so ive bought jasper little things along the way - including his own baby doll to play with, so for ages he referred to katelyn as "the real baby". And same if i need to buy baby clothes i give him options to help pick and things.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Boobycino For This Useful Post:

WineTime  (03-10-2012)