+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Did you give your child a gift "from the baby"?

Our second child is due in january. Our first will be 5 years old when the baby arrives. Quite a few people I know had a small gift for the older sibling which was 'from the baby's and given to the older sibling when they first visited at the hospital.

I'm guessing its to smoothe the transition a little for the older sibling by showing a loving gesture to them from the new baby.

It seems like a sweet idea but we are deciding whether we should do it, or just encourage our eldest to be cool with it all.

What are peoples thoughts in general?

Our son is very excited about the new baby, has helped set up the nursery and even chosen some of his toys that he wanted to give to the baby which we thought was very kind so we're not really expecting any huge jealousy issues (aside from the obvious adjustment of having to share mum and dad!)

Any opinions appreciated!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Ds was 6 when DD was born...and, knowing that we were going to be very busy and need some settling in time, DD bought him a Wii game that that he really wanted lol

DH spent time playing with him on it while I was feeding/settling DD and it gave him a nice distraction when we were busy. Also, as my mum was taking care of him and I was in hospital for a week...it was something of a link.

We also gave him $50 to go and spend on DD while I was still in hospital so he could genuinely buy her a present from him. He loved this...maybe even more than the game. He felt so grown up and special to be going shopping like that.

For us, it worked really well.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to River Song For This Useful Post:

WineTime  (02-10-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    My DD will be 2.5 when DS is born in February so a bit of an age difference but i intend to give her a baby born feeding doll so she can have her own baby too.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to bressar For This Useful Post:

WineTime  (02-10-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    River Song - Im glad you mentioned letting your son buy a gift for the baby too. This is something I'd thought of as well but didn't know if it was a crazy idea!

Our son adores choosing and giving gifts so that might be a lovely thing for him to do as well.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 5/2/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 31/10/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 24/10/14Busiest Member of the Week
    We always do it. We love it it is a really special moment for us.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to LoveLivesHere For This Useful Post:

WineTime  (02-10-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I was 5 as well when my younger sister was born and I got a doll that I could feed/bath generally amuse myself when mum was feeding and bathing my sister.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to wannawannabe For This Useful Post:

WineTime  (02-10-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    DD is getting the baby a small gift (hair brush and comb set) apparently as my mum tells me :/
    The new baby is dd's gift. Bub's is due christmas time and my family have gone OTT with dd's presents :\

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Hunkamunka For This Useful Post:

WineTime  (02-10-2012)

StretchmarkBarbie is offline Senior Member
    Winner 2009- Best Username Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    We did this each time. But made it something they could use on the visit to the hospital. DD2 'gave' DD1 and DS some new coloring in books and textas and puzzles

14. The Following User Says Thank You to StretchmarkBarbie For This Useful Post:

WineTime  (02-10-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yes I got ds age 5 an ipad and loaded 'learn to read' type games as he had mentioned he wanted to learn to read so he could read dd a bedtime story. It works well for me as we practice his reading whilst i'm feeding or holding baby and i'm a single mum. His reading is coming along nicely too!

16. The Following User Says Thank You to BbBbBh For This Useful Post:

WineTime  (02-10-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Well its definitely looking like a good thing to do. Now I just have to think of a gift. Im getting the sense that something he can use to keep himself busy will benefit all of us.

He's got cars, racetracks etc out the wazoo, and we'd like to avoid any electronic gadgets if we can, although i'll definitely consider them. He's an outdoor kid by nature so it can be hard to find stuff for indoors which will hold his attention.