+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Getting a rental as a single mum

Hi everyone. I have decided I don't want to be with my partner anymore and am making plans to leave, but want to have savings n be prepared.i have heard lots of bad reports about single mums trying to get a rental. I am planning on going back to work soon, ill be earning about $1200 a f/n after tax, and have estimated I would get $480 f/n family tax and rent assistance, $100 f/n parenting parent and $375 f/n child support. If this is correct ill have. Enough to pay my rent n bills. I just wanted other people's help on how to secure a property .
    thsnks

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ended 19/6/2014
    I've always struggled rental wise. The first property i finally got on my own as a single mum i offered a years worth of rent up front and provided a bank statement in my I.D to prove i could afford it. I'm not sure if that's what got me the place? I think it may have been the fact that they were after someone in a vulnerable position as the owner went on to sell the property then kick us out.

We are about to move into a new place. I was approved for it even though rent is half my income. I think they have preyed on my vulnerability and desperation as well. As a condition of the lease i had to accept a $20 rent increase halfway through the agreement. They would know when renting to single mums they have all the power. If i didn't accept this place and their conditions we would be homeless in a week.

It's bloody tough and i hope you have better luck then i have over the years.
    I think you are doing all the right things by having savings, being employed, etc.. So long as you aren't blacklisted or the likes you will hopefully be fine

3. The Following User Says Thank You to HarvestMoon For This Useful Post:

tracynben  (29-09-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I applied for many places before getting this one. I actually asked the agent what made him choose me, and he said it's because I provided so much documentation without being asked, and that they didn't have to chase anything up with me, it was all there straight away. Things like bank statements, payslips, Centrelink letters, child support letters, proof of ID- licence, bills, medicare card. I have a rental property so provided all that documentation too.

I also wrote a cover letter, pretty much bragging about myself and why I would be perfect for them.

Also I had 2 references, 1 typed and printed, and 1 phone number. I got the most 'professional' people I knew to be my references, one being my real estate agent for my property, the other being a senior financial planner.

I had offered rent up front in the past but it made no difference. The above ^^^ is what finally got me a place.

Good luck!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I've been a landlord and i'm now a single mum. I would talk up the fact that you are a single mum. Single mums: like stability for the kids therefore would like to be a long term tenant, single mums work (or sahm) but always have the back up from centrelink therefore rent will be paid and paid on time, single mums are mostly terribly house proud and therefore kept the house and grounds nice etc etc. There is nothing I can see that is negative about being a single mum from the perspective of a landlord- I think you just need to spell it out for them. The best tenant I ever had was in an investment property for about 10 years.

Thanks
    Reviews
    What you need to remember too is that the rental market is tough for everyone in most locations at the moment. I've been told that landlords prefer couples by one estate agent (I was in a relationship at the time, would call Fair Trading on her now!) .

I do believe it's harder to secure a place as a single in general, as it would appear that many owners seem to think couples offer extra "security" in terms of paying the rent, because of the "back-up" (second income) factor. This always irritates me, because I couldn't count the number of couples I've seen separate and break lease within months or even weeks of moving into a place together.

But, they're not all like that. Personally I refuse to do cover letters, rent in advance or any of that stuff because a) I don't believe in the grovelling for a roof over my head in principle and b) It actually hasn't helped me in the past.

I tried the cover letter thing and having every single document and application form complete and ready to hand in at the inspection, and on each occasion I did this appeared to be the only one at the open house who did so. Everyone else was collecting an application form as I was handing mine over to the agent. Did I get approved for any of those places? Nope.

The thing that has worked for me has been getting to know agents and going to inspections individually, on weekdays if you can. This is sometimes impossible, but seek out the agencies that are open to it- they tend to be fairer when it comes to tenant selection.

I got my current place through a well respected agency in inner Sydney that conducts all their dealings with everyone professionally, they took me through on my own on a Monday morning, assessed the application and rang me the next day to say it was approved. All I filled out was the application form and handed over some ID. You don't want to do a Saturday open house with a thousand couples if you can help it.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to MermaidSister For This Useful Post:

Ellewood  (24-10-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I am fortunate enough to have been able to move into a lovely family owned property that Mum was renting out. I am still paying the full rent though (no concessions there!), but I would have been stuffed otherwise as I have pets! I'll be helping Mum renovate the place though, so she will reduce the rent then.

Initially though, after DS was born my ex did help me by going on the lease with me as a 'couple'. Obviously you won't be in a position where your ex will be willing to do this for you but can someone else? A family member? Kind of like a guarantor. you can take them off the lease some time down the track, 6 months or so.

It's tough - but there are landlords out there that are willing to rent out to single Mums. My Mum is one, as she gets it, she was a single Mum once and knows how hard it can be. Have all the necessary documentation in place (bank account statements, proof of earnings over time, references etc) when you're ready to start applying and I don't see why you don't have as much chance as any other applicant.

Good luck with it all

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have been lucky in renting by the sounds of this.
    I have always been very upfront with the real estate, and just laid out my situation etc. I always included a cover letter stating my ties to the community etc too so they could see I wanted to be a long term tenant.
    Good luck