+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Living in a small house with kids

Right so I shouldn't have had that coffee after dinner now I can't sleep an I'm thinking about decluttering the house, we live in a small house, I'm happy to stay but I'm in serious need of making room for DD, she's going to be crawling soon plus baby stuff is taking over and we have plans on more kids AND DH might we working from home more next year!!! I feel like the walls are closing in on me. I have plans to sell lots on eBay but its such a long process and I'm really a procrastinating kinda person... anyone had tips or ideas on how I can do this? possibly fast track things? We have 4 bedrooms and use two as study sewing and storage... The other is the nursery and our bedroom, the living room is small and the kitchen although looks spacious is totally awkward and the table is in the middle and sooo annoying! Argh just having a winge I guess!!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 14/11/14100 Posts in a week
    You should try living in a 3x1 with DP, 2 kids and MIL who works fifo so while your 2 kids appear to have a room each they in fact don't because MIL needs a bed one week a month which means there is an empty room begging to be used but can't be. Oh not to mention her little yapper who yaps at anything all day long including our own dog. Yeah it's cramped here too. I wish we had a 4 bedroom. I guess you work with what you got the best way you can. :-)

Thanks
    Reviews
    :-) actually I forgot we had MIL and two SIL all living with us for 6 months couple of years back, forgot about those 'good times'!!!

SpecialPatrolGroup is offline T-rex is cranky until she gets her coffee.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I have been following a 20 day challenge to declutter and organise my house by a blogger called The Organised Housewife. Google it, its good.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to SpecialPatrolGroup For This Useful Post:

babyla  (24-09-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Oh I like!! I went to that blog the organised housewife!!! It's good! Thanks!!! It's so hard to get rid of clothes :-(

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week

Default It's hard...

But you're just going to have to get cracking and throw stuff out. Using 2/4 bedrooms as sewing/storage/study is the root of your problems. Some major re-organising is needed. For example, instead of having a whole room as a study, how about a guest bedroom with a small computer desk, one that you can roll in/out of the room as needed? Same for the sewing. A small desk you can roll around as needed or just put your stuff in a cupboard and bring out only when needed. As for storing things, if you haven't used it/worn it/read it in the last 12 months chuck it.Good luck.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to VicPark For This Useful Post:

babyla  (24-09-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    We have 3 kids in a 3 bedroom house it can get tough especially When it was raining all the time and they were stuck inside. But most the time they are playinging outside which is good but also small lol we have it set up good for them and they wonder in and out. I have also seen the organized housewife 20 day challenge def doing it when school goes back. Btw id be so stoked to have 4 bedrooms I also work from home doing my husbands bookwork side of his business but my desk is in the dinning room and when I sew the sewing machine goes on the dining room table.

Thanks
    Reviews
    We live in a 2 br house. Its just us & our 7 month old. Her room was the storage room before she came. While i was pregnant we set aside one whole weekend, were very hard on ourselves and managed to clear the room. We had a keep pile, a throw away pile & an op shop pile. Doing it all in one go worked better for us as we had the drive to just get rid of stuff we didnt need. Was hard work but so worth it

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 5/2/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 31/10/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 24/10/14Busiest Member of the Week
    We live in a double garage with 5 Kids dp and I. So I had to learn to declutter as my nature is a hoarder. My rule is if you haven't use it in six months or 12 months for seasonal items than it has to go. Lots of containers/ storage boxes so any mess stuff is contained when your not using it.
    Aim to declutter one room/area week. If your on a roll keep gong don't stop. I know that sounds strange but if you stop it some much harder to start again.

FearlessLeader is offline Winner 2013 - Most Memorable Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    You live in a 4 bedroom house with one baby??? I can't imagine how that's anyone's definition of small you really don't need a whole room for storage, that's nuts. You really need to de-clutter. If there's stuff you have that you absolutely can't throw out, put it in storage.Look at lots of websites and books on living in small spaces. One of the most important tips is zoning. Your third bedroom can most definitely be used as a sewing/study/spare bedroom space, you just need to organise it. We have managed to do it in a 3 bed flat with small bedrooms, small living room and zero storage. we have a 2.5 year old and one on the way.Make sure you are using all available spqce. Go up and down- cupboards to the ceiling, tall bookshelves,storage under beds and sofas.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to FearlessLeader For This Useful Post:

babyla  (24-09-2012)