+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default How do you pick what formula to use?

Hi guys

When our baby is born I will be bottle feeding from the start for a few reasons (mainly my health/ babies health).
    I understand Ill need to take my own bottles and formula to the hospital but I have no clue which one to use!

Cost doesnt really matter, but I dont want the nan one with all the problems Ive heard people having. I was thinking of S26 or Karicare. I cant really use my DD1's experience with formulas as an idea as she had serious health issues and was on a prescription formula (Pepti Junior) to help so I tried EVERYTHING with her.

I know its all trial and error to start anyway but I guess Im just looking for a starting point?
    Last edited by Hopefully Waiting; 23-09-2012 at 06:51.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hopefully-the reason I chose s26 gold for my DS was because I knew the name was around for 20+ years, my sister who is 21 was an s26 baby.. I never had to chop & change formula as DS was extremely happy with it right from the begining-so I have no clue about any of the other brands! Sending you the best of luck with the upcoming birth!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Perhaps do some googling for reviews on the different formulas. I started x on bellamys organic and was very happy with it but it turned out he was lactose intolerant so we switched to S-26 lactose free and was fine no problems. I tried nan at the start but it gave him belly ache. If I have to ff this time round I'll be starting with bellamys again. I liked it was made in tas plus despite x being intolerant since birth he coped well with bellamys for a while.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have tried S26 (original & gold) & it made my DD very constipated, the same thing happened with DD1 & 2 when they were babies. DD3 has also been on Karicare aptamil but she didn't like it, so we have settled on Bellamy's Organic & it's great It doesn't seem to have that gross smell like other formulas

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    S26 Gold made my DS very constipated and didn't taste nice.There has been bad press about Nan formula lately.My DS is on Bellamy Organic and loves it - if he wasn't on that I would go for Karicare as have heard good things.

Thanks
    Reviews
    DD is on Karicare Gold as advised by our Paed as she has silent reflux. Though she does really like it and it doesn't constipate her, if my bub didn't have silent reflux I'd have gone with Bellamy's Organic as I've never heard a bad thing about it and I like that it is organic and Australian made.

a friend of mine had hers on Heinz nurture (not the gold) and she swears by it. You might find that the gold formulas can constipate babies, so if you do find that, perhaps go with the non-gold types.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks guys I didnt even know about Bellamys. It does seem great. Is it available in supermarkets?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Are you certain you have to take bottles/formula, most hospitals supply formula.

I just used what they provided, then bought a few tins of the same stuff on the way home from hospital.

Nowhere is offline Winner 2007- Most Supportive Of Feeding Other-Than-Breast Award
    Winner 2010- Most Optimistic Poster Award
    Winner 2010- The Most Supportive Member Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hopefully Waiting View Post
    Hi guys

When our baby is born I will be bottle feeding from the start for a few reasons (mainly my health/ babies health).
    I understand Ill need to take my own bottles and formula to the hospital but I have no clue which one to use!

Cost doesnt really matter, but I dont want the nan one with all the problems Ive heard people having. I was thinking of S26 or Karicare. I cant really use my DD1's experience with formulas as an idea as she had serious health issues and was on a prescription formula (Pepti Junior) to help so I tried EVERYTHING with her.

I know its all trial and error to start anyway but I guess Im just looking for a starting point?

Most hospitals supply formula and they call it BMS you likely wont be told what one they use i know at childrens hospital here it changes depending on who they get the best deal though so all babies on regular formula get BMS and then the kids like my monkey get the one they are perscribed, we tried pepti, neocate, elecare as well as goats, and peadisure soy and now DD is on vivonex its the only one she can have it we LOVE It it best stuff ever in my view lol

Thanks
    Reviews
    I would recommend you check with the hospital you're booked at to whether formula is supplied. I'm a midwife at a large metropolitan Melbourne hospital and we do not supply formula unless it is medically indicated ie. Low blood sugars or significant weight loss.
    If you came in planning to formula feed you're partner or family member would be asked to go out and buy some formula and bottles, so better to be prepared by asking your hospital. good luck with everything

11. The Following User Says Thank You to 3bubbys For This Useful Post:

Hopefully Waiting  (23-09-2012)