ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISEMENT

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I think maybe 15. DD is in sposies at daycare 3 days a week and at night, so we're part-time cloth users

We also didn't start until DD was 6mo, she's a skinny baby and didn't fit them properly until then and I wasn't going to spend extra on newborn/small sized ones. Plus her health issues and my PND made cloth seem impossible at the time!

For any pregnant friends keen on cloth I always recommend just getting a few to trial, you never know what will happen until bub arrives - especially your first.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I have around 30 & have just started using them at night too haven't used a sposie at all in 4 days!

I started using them when dd was about 4 months too, fit her better plus the whole pooping all the time thing, it just made that easier

BarefootedMumma is offline Aiming to be in the top 10 busiest users one week.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I found out yesterday that I will be inheriting my sister's second hand one and she is making me more for Christmas (this is the evil sister who always hated me Btw)

I don't think I need to build up a stash.. I currently have enough to about half fill a 105L plastic tub.. But they all need new elastic (that's where my awesome sewing mum comes in handy) I will update this over coming months as I make up the baby's area in our room...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Subscribing.

I'm not even utd yet but just got a new sewing machine and have already made 5 newborn size as a trial. Not sure how many I will need to make. I will start making moreo once we r preggers

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    We didnt use mcn's when bub's was newborn as she was too small for the "petite" ones i had. So she was in disposables untill 6mths. We then tried the old cloth nappies as they were cheaper and more of them. They were great from 6mths-9mths then they began to leak and not make it thru the night so we changed to mcn's.
    When she was in mcn's full time we had about 12 in a stash and we would wash daily, gong thru 5-6 nappies a day. This worked fine in summer but in winter we had to use a combo of coth and mcn as we struggled to get them dry thru winter.
    At 12mths every single mcn, no matter what brand i had, began to leak and wouldnt last any longer than 2hrs i them. I was devastated and really annoyed.
    Now we are using a combo of disposables and mcn's.
    For her big 3hr day sleep she is in a boys huggies nappy (tummy sleeper)
    Overnight she is also in a boys huggies nappy.
    Other than those 2 nappies and when we go away, we put mcn on her and go thru 3-5 a day. We have a stash of 10 (just cheapies from ebay) and wash every 2nd day.
    Sounds complicated but we r in a routine and it's easy for us.

I will soon be having 2 babies in nappies and am quite happy to make the change to disposables full time. My mcn experiene was not all it was talked up to be and i did find i wasted alot of money and didnt get the use out of them.

I even feel bad trying to sell the ones i found hopeless, but i really want to try and get some money back as i believe i spent up to $200 starting out my stash with the different brands.
    The cheapies on ebay really are not that bad, they are just not as absorbant and i have to use 2 inserts at a time.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have about 40 for my two children. It's probably a little more than what I need as I use sposies about half the time on my 4 month old and overnight on my toddler. But I'm lazy at snapping them back together so it works! If I could go back I'd get all in ones instead.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by LRA View Post
    Subscribing.

I'm not even utd yet but just got a new sewing machine and have already made 5 newborn size as a trial. Not sure how many I will need to make. I will start making moreo once we r preggers
    did you ever strip wash them?
    I have around 20 I has triple that but sold off a heap as I wanted to actually save money by using them we use full time apart from one disposible night nappy.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by our3boys View Post
    did you ever strip wash them?
    I have around 20 I has triple that but sold off a heap as I wanted to actually save money by using them we use full time apart from one disposible night nappy.
    Yep I did. Washed all fabric twice before I actually made them then they have been washed once since I made them after me tipping water into them so I could test absorbency haha.
    As I said I was just testing coz I had a new machine but will do more once we know when we r having bub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Haha sorry I quoted the wrong person. I was asking the poster that was talking about giving her nappies away because they don't last long anymore. You have to strip wash every so often as the detergent you wash in builds up on the nappy and they loose there obsorbantcy. Good luck with making your nappies wish I was that talented.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by our3boys View Post
    Haha sorry I quoted the wrong person. I was asking the poster that was talking about giving her nappies away because they don't last long anymore. You have to strip wash every so often as the detergent you wash in builds up on the nappy and they loose there obsorbantcy. Good luck with making your nappies wish I was that talented.
    Haha, ok. I stripped washed the fabric first anyway because it is never as absorbent until it has been washed a few times. For the same reason I think - build up of things that makes it less absorbent that have been added in the manufacturing process.