ADVERTISEMENT

+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default 28 weeks and baby is big!!!

Hi All

I'm 28 weeks and have been measuring 2-3 weeks ahead from around 12 weeks. Last appointment I was measuring 6 weeks ahead. I had a routine scan yesterday to check babys heart (previous baby born with CHD) and my placenta (Low PAPPA), so Ob. had them check the babys growth. So they have confirmed baby is big, he/she is in the 80th percentile already for weight. My previous babies have been 6lbs 13oz and 7lbs 10oz, both overdue by 12 and 8 days. My GD test was negative and I've only put on 2.8kg when checked at my last appointment. I'm really scared that by the time I go into labour this baby will be HUGE! Still waiting to see my Ob. next week to see what he says. But would like to see others opinions.

Anyone else had similar experiences and if so what was the outcome?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    They can't really tell how bib your baby will be while you are pregnant..

Theres nothing you can do about it anyway so stop stressing and enjoy your pregnancy..

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger
    Try not to worry. I was told that DS was big from about 20 weeks - at the morph scan apparently his head was measuring 24 weeks .

He arrived at 38 weeks (not induced due to size or anything like that) a little 6 pounds 10 ounces.

everything will be fine with your bub.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 1BabyMama View Post
    Hi All

I'm 28 weeks and have been measuring 2-3 weeks ahead from around 12 weeks. Last appointment I was measuring 6 weeks ahead. I had a routine scan yesterday to check babys heart (previous baby born with CHD) and my placenta (Low PAPPA), so Ob. had them check the babys growth. So they have confirmed baby is big, he/she is in the 80th percentile already for weight. My previous babies have been 6lbs 13oz and 7lbs 10oz, both overdue by 12 and 8 days. My GD test was negative and I've only put on 2.8kg when checked at my last appointment. I'm really scared that by the time I go into labour this baby will be HUGE! Still waiting to see my Ob. next week to see what he says. But would like to see others opinions.

Anyone else had similar experiences and if so what was the outcome?

Hi. I had an easy pregnancy with ds1, he was nearly 9pound which is big for me as I'm small and I had a long complicated but natural (onl just) delivery.
    So when I was pregnant with ds2 my ob monitored me closer, I also had low PAPPA so I had regular scans once this was identified early in the pregnancy. I had scans every month to monitor bubs growth because of the low PAPPA and also because of how big ds1 was. I was enduced 2 weeks early when they estimated ds2 would be at least as big or if not bigger than ds1 at a 35 week scan. In which I am grateful because they were correct, he would have been bigger than ds2 had I gone full term.
    They were spot on in estimating the weight.

Theophania is offline 'see what had happened was..there were these three ninjas and a blue monkey and well it really wasn't my fault..'
    Thanks
    Reviews
    I always measured bigger for dates. I had a growth scan at 32 weeks with DS and he was in the 90th percentile. I must admit I was scared, but I didn't know then what I know now.

DS was 9lb10oz. He was however induced and this resulted in an emergency cesarean.

When I was pregnant with DD I also measured big for dates but didn't bother with the sizing scan because I knew it would change nothing. I believe being induced for a possible big baby carries more risk. DD was born naturally and she was 9lb 8.5oz. I had no complications when I birthed her, I did tear but that wasbecause I was too hasty in pushing her out and didn't let it just happen...

I would try and not worry about bubs size, chances are that without intervention you will be able to birth just fine

Thanks
    Reviews
    My first was just over 9lb and I took a fair amount of time to actually her out.My second was over 10lb and when it came to pushing I breathed her out in 7 minutes. Don't stress about the size or worry about what happened last labour...every labour is different and the majority of the time they get easier.I'm only a petite frame too (size 8) but being small doesn't mean you can't birth a big baby.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Wastingtime For This Useful Post:

Annabella  (20-09-2012),Bubbles10  (23-09-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    if they suspect he/she is going to be big, then maybe you should think about getting a c section. i was only a size 6 before bubs, & they suspected my bub was going to big when i was 34 weeks pregnant i had to do a scan & they said out of 100 babies he would be bigger than 70 of them. he came out at a massive 12 pound!! he was 11 days overdue.

Thanks
    Reviews
    At 28 weeks my scan with dd put her measurements at 32weeks. I was terrified. But closer to dates she was still big but slowed down. She was born at 39 weeks (social induction) weighing 9lb4oz and I panted her out in 10mins (3.5hr labour) drug free.Ds (my first) was 8lb7oz but I pushed him out taking 12 mins. My bigger baby surprisingly was much easier to labour birth then my smaller baby.
    Last edited by 1CrazyMoose; 20-09-2012 at 18:10.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I can relate to your worry, I am 34 weeks measuring 37+ and bub is in the 90%. I have had lots of ultrasounds due to other reasons and have known bubs is big for awhile. My ob doesn't seemed to worried as bubs is perfectly healthy, just bigger. They may just keep a close eye on bubs head measurements to ensure they will make their journey into the world safely. Good luck and enjoy the rest of your pregnancy!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I feel your stress, i'm 39 weeks tomorrow and at my last scan (34 week) bub was around 3kg or 6.6lb, if i make it to term and he puts on the normal amount of weight per week he'll be around 6kg or 13lb!!!
    My midwife said they don't induce early for big babies and the more i look into it the less i'm worried.
    He isn't putting on bone in there he's putting on fat which squishes.
    I've been doing all the stretched and thing to avoid tearing.
    My midwife has measured my hips and his head and he will fit.
    Bigger babies have less complication with the cord around their neck as they can't move as freely.
    I'm delivering in a hospital so if needs be c-section is always and option.

Keep your birth plan flexible and be ready for a hard day with a big reward. And all the shock on peoples faces when you tell then you naturally delivered a 10lb baby