+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Definitely call & speak to the property manager. As others have said perhaps play it innocent & ask about his/her intended timeframe for next inspection & if your SIL had any feedback etc.

We rent & have inspections every 6months - and they always give written notice about the intention to do an inspection (asking us to organise a time within the next 2weeks) & we always get a letter within a week afterwards with the feedback.
    The property manager & owners (never lived somewhere where the owners came on the inspection but this couple do...) have a quick look around checking for obvious damage & then check if we have any issues etc. And they are always dressed & behave professionally, the PM has a folder with documentation for the inspection that she checks off.

If turning up on days off in casual attire is how their agency is run, it sounds a bit unprofessional to me.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm not sure of the history between you and your SIL/MIL but it sounds like the relationships are very strained in all directions. Sounds pretty awful for all of you.

To me, it seems like the real issue is a mutual lack of trust and respect. You could call the real estate agent, and you will probably catch her out, but then what will happen? She'll just get angry, the relationship will be further damaged, she'll find a way to get back at you, you'll get angry and the downward spiral will continue. You might feel like you have "won" for a while, but it will be temporary. Ultimately, things will only get worse.

If you want to put the pain and drama behind you, decide whether you want an ongoing relationship with your SIL. If you do, for whatever reason, don't engage in tit-for-tat games. Let it go and then work out how you can get along (not best buddies, but polite enough). If you don't want a relationship with her, find a way to distance yourself.

Obviously, DH needs to be involved, since they're his family. Anyway, good luck, I really hope you're able to sort this one out without it getting more messy.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    She is being totally disrespectful rocking up on her day off without the proper checklist etc. Shes doing it because it sound like she doesn't particularly like you and I guess she knows you don't like her.

This is why it's bad to mix family and business, it be never works.

I guess you have two choices...move out or cop her crap. You could ring up the real estate and then she will get narky and the whole situation will explode. Personally I never would want someone I hate having power over me. I know your df said he doesn't want to move but is the house really worth all this drama?

Thanks
    Reviews
    This sounds odd to me. I doubt that a professional agency would allow u're SIL to have any involvement with your property in any form, as she is family. It's unprofessional for her to do any inspections or any paperwork involving you and your DP.

If she was sent to do the inspection than her employer probably doesn't know about her personal connection to you.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to andy90 For This Useful Post:

angelini  (20-09-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Thanks everyone. I might call the agency and ask about a timeframe for the next just to suss that out.

As for the letter informing me, we got about a week in advance warning. It was signed and written by her, a receptionist as far as I'm aware, so she could have easily printed and mailed them off without anyone else knowing a thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Cdro View Post
    I'm not sure of the history between you and your SIL/MIL but it sounds like the relationships are very strained in all directions. Sounds pretty awful for all of you.

To me, it seems like the real issue is a mutual lack of trust and respect. You could call the real estate agent, and you will probably catch her out, but then what will happen? She'll just get angry, the relationship will be further damaged, she'll find a way to get back at you, you'll get angry and the downward spiral will continue. You might feel like you have "won" for a while, but it will be temporary. Ultimately, things will only get worse.

If you want to put the pain and drama behind you, decide whether you want an ongoing relationship with your SIL. If you do, for whatever reason, don't engage in tit-for-tat games. Let it go and then work out how you can get along (not best buddies, but polite enough). If you don't want a relationship with her, find a way to distance yourself.

Obviously, DH needs to be involved, since they're his family. Anyway, good luck, I really hope you're able to sort this one out without it getting more messy.
    Yes, I do loathe her. Only because she's a horrible person to me and my daughter. I will not be over-exaggerating if I confess I'd not be unhappy if I heard something horrible happened to her. I really do think she is the most horrible person I have ever had the displeasure to meet. The only reason she doesn't like me is because I exist and have been made a part of her life by being with her brother without her permission (she seems to call the shots in the family simply because everyone is sick of her tantrums so tip-toes around her).

I don't want to be in her life, at all, ever. Unfortunately, she works at the REA our house is looked after by, and thus involves herself whenever she can just to be difficult and... well... have SOME control over us I imagine.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I wouldn't care if it caused trouble in the family...if she has used her workplace to get some control over you then she deserves what ever punishment she gets at work. It sounds like a pain. I'd also mention to the property manager that you would like only the pm to carry out the inspections from now on.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Wastingtime For This Useful Post:

MrJones&Me  (20-09-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    We had an inspection done on our rental property recently and we received a full report with photos sent afterwards. I would definitely call and enquire, she has not done the right thing.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I'd ring the real estate and casually tell them that "Joe Blow" performed an inspection today and mentioned the next one will be done by the property manager and if they could inform her when that will be. Hehe

Thanks
    Reviews
    Just wondering how you got on??