+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 5 of 5
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    486
    Thanks
    596
    Thanked
    166
    Reviews
    0

    Default Help my son touched a broken cfl bulb :(

    I'm freaking out a bit here does anyone know what to do if someone touches a compact fluorescent light bulb? You know those government energy saving ones?

    Apparently they are dangerous if broken because they contain mercury. All websites I find say do not touch when broken but none say what to do if it's been touched.

    My 7 year old broke his lamp and came into me with broken pieces in his hand :s

  2. #2
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    353
    Thanks
    70
    Thanked
    42
    Reviews
    0
    could try poisons info line...but wash hands well

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    6,725
    Thanks
    1,211
    Thanked
    3,232
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

    Default Help my son touched a broken cfl bulb :(

    You can call poisons information and they will tell you everything you need to know. I don't think it's an emergency type thing, wash the area. Mercury accumulates in the body so one exposure is " ok" but please ring poisons information.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    486
    Thanks
    596
    Thanked
    166
    Reviews
    0

    Default Help my son touched a broken cfl bulb :(

    Thanks for the replies. The man from poisons said there's not enough mercury in those to be harmful and as long as he washed his hands and didn't get cut he will be ok.

    I wonder why they say to air the room for 15 mins before cleaning then :/ my daughter was in the room when it happened and she's now coughing when she wasn't before. I guess I will just have to keep an eye on them.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    1,913
    Thanks
    482
    Thanked
    552
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

    Default Help my son touched a broken cfl bulb :(

    Quote Originally Posted by austmum View Post
    Thanks for the replies. The man from poisons said there's not enough mercury in those to be harmful and as long as he washed his hands and didn't get cut he will be ok.

    I wonder why they say to air the room for 15 mins before cleaning then :/ my daughter was in the room when it happened and she's now coughing when she wasn't before. I guess I will just have to keep an eye on them.
    They say to Air the room because the vapors accumulate and make it dangerous to enter and stay in the vicinity.
    When you do go into clean it DONT use the vacuum an DO put it In a sealed container clearly marked with Toxic:contains Mercury. Dot put it in the regular bin, ring the council and see what their procedure is
    Last edited by kezanazz; 16-09-2012 at 22:08.


 

Similar Threads

  1. Day 32 - Light bulb moment
    By SpecialPatrolGroup in forum SpecialPatrolGroup
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 23-11-2012, 12:21
  2. Broken tooth
    By Blessedwith3boys in forum General Parenting Tips, Advice & Chat
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 15-01-2012, 08:05
  3. broken heart
    By 6 years trying in forum Conception & Fertility General Chat
    Replies: 36
    Last Post: 23-12-2011, 06:36

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
FEATURED SUPPORTER
The Health Hub & Glowing ExpectationsGlowing Expectations is conveniently located at The Health Hub in Darlinghurst. We offer pre & post natal personal ...
REVIEWS
"Made bed time less anxious"
by Meld85
My Little Heart Whisbear - the Humming Bear reviews ›
"Wonderful natural Aussie made product!"
by Mrstwr
Baby U Goat Milk Moisturiser reviews ›
"Replaced good quality with cheap tight nappies"
by Kris
Coles Comfy Bots Nappies reviews ›