+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Teachers giving sweets as rewards in schools- what do you think?

I don't mind because I think this is how lollies and sweets should be used, as sometimes foods and treats.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ended 19/6/2014

Default Re: Teachers giving sweets as rewards in schools- what do you think?

It infuriates me as teachers don't take into account the fact that many follow diets that differ from the main******.
    My vegetarian children have no doubt been fed gelatine laden lollies just as i'm sure muslim children have been given lollies with pork derived gelatine. Then you've got allergies and intolerances to consider.
    I don't think teachers should be feeding our children anything!.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I had an awesome teacher (you know how some are more memorable than others) in year 4. First thing in the morning we would walk or run 1km. It was up to you how quickly you did it but had to be under 7 min. Some of the athletic kids would try and beat PBs, I did the walk and talk at the back of the pack with friends...

Anyway once you had done 20km (you coloured a square everyday) you got a price of fruit as a reward.

Thanks
    Reviews

Yeah we are not allowed to send Lollies so I wouldn't like them being given them.
    Slight tangent: I hate lolly bags!!! No child needs more sugar after a birthday party where they have had cake etc, and don't get me started on lolly bags at kinder!!! What four year old needs a bag of sugar at two or four pm??

Thanks
    Reviews

I can't stand how they offer lollies or chocolates as treats at school. My daughter is a type 1 diabetic and I was told that I couldn't give her anything to do with nuts or yoghurt in her lunch box due to kids with allergies but my child has diabetes so I think there shouldn't be junk..
    The past week at school has been my
    Hardest- 3 birthday parties which was cupcakes and icey poles and another day was dress up day and takeaway.

What happened to teaching kids healthy eating instead of constantly rewarding them with lollies?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by loveshack View Post
    What do you think of teachers giving students lollies and sweet stuff as rewards for good behaviour/effort/achievement? Personally speaking, I do not like it. I think motivating students is essential, but with non-food rewards. I think it promotes unhealthy eating habits (which are rising) and kids associate sweets with rewards. Schools could do so much to promote healthy eating.
    As a child/teen i thought it was a brilliant idea (dont most kids? lol) but now as an adult i dislike it and think there are far more effective ways to motivate kids without junk foods.

At my DD's school they have 3 or 4 reward systems in place that work fantastically!

The daily reward system is based around a chart where they have a 'peg' with their name on it in the 'good' section, if they behave all day they stay there and get a small 'certificate' (about double the size of a cue card) to bring home each day. If they dont behave they move around the chart into 3 different sections, if they get to the end one they have to go see the principle (i think the other 2 are a time out in the 'reflection' chair and a time out with the teacher).

The term one is a pass for the end of term rewards day, which ties into the daily one. If they end up seeing the principle they lose the pass for 1 week (for first time seeing principle), 2 weeks (second time) and for the term (3rd time).

They have another chart on the wall which ties in to the school motto for the students to live by (being cooperative, considerate, organised etc) if they display this positive behaviour at any time during school hours they get a special certificate to put on this chart, when they get so many they get to chose a special item out of the teachers box (stuff like fluffy pencils and sticky things to go on the end of pencils... Stationary etc) which my DD's class love! If they are exceptional in this behaviour they also get the certificate for that thing (being considerate of another student they'll get the one for being considerate) which entitles them to something from the canteen (popcorn or an apple slinky).

They also have an end of year raffle for all students to enter with the certificates from above. The entire school has all the ones they've collected over the year in a huge raffle. Apparently since the school started it they've had a MAJOR drop in bullying and bad behaviour.

They also have student of the week, they get a certificate for that, their photo on the class door and a special chair in class for the week plus they are given special responsibilities.

My DD loves the rewards systems at school, it sounds like alot and confusing but she's only a Preppy and already understands it all.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Two trunks I hate lolly bags too! We have party bags thst contain no food because after a party a child does not need to go home with more junk.As for the teacher saying 'I think lollies/treats/whatever are okay sometimes' I would respond by saying that as the parent that is for me to decide.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Wastingtime For This Useful Post:

twotrunks  (16-09-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I can't stand it.

DD2 has an allergy to something in lollies. First exposure of just 1 jelly baby resulted in way more than 20 hives (stopped counting at 20) and throat swelling. Which thankfully got better with antihistamine. It's was especially scary for us when she was younger. At least now she knows she is unable to eat them when offered. She does have an allergy action plan on the wall at school but relieving teachers don't always realise.

Thanks
    Reviews
    If it's an occurance that doesn't happen very often (as in they might do table points each week and at the end of the week each child gets a prize which might involve a lolly) then I don't see the problem, but if it's something that occurs regularly.. as in every day then yes I'd have a problem with that.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm not keen on it but my boy (he is only two now) would thrives on praise and feedback so I'm sure treats will be a hit. I think in moderation it will be fine. I'm prefer if he gets a buscuit to a lollie or sugary treat!