View Poll Results: Is it ok for little boys to play war games with toy guns?

Voters
38. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

18 47.37%
  • No

20 52.63%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default What do you think about little boys playing with toy guns?

Well we have our gun license and I wouldn't go and 'shoot someone' because no I don't find them just for killing. Um paint ball etc?

When your child is 6? Will he be allowed to goto lazer squirmish with his/her friends.. It's relatively the same!

I will let my child play with guns, I will explain to them when they are old enough what harm they do. Just as toy cars crashing into each other racing on the carpet could make them a hoon.......

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I disagree that it desensitises them to death. DH and DS were playing robbers and pretending to fall down dead. But Im sure if my son saw someone get shot and die in real life he would be traumatised. He knows the difference between real and play. And honestly, he doesnt really understand death so it is just play.

The fact that boys go out of their way to make guns if there are no toy guns, shows me that it is natural for their development to go through this, and maybe it can be argued that it could be more damaging to try to stifle the urges to play like this

threechooks is offline If my spelling annoys you that's your problem.... I have better things to do than proofread !
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Eko View Post
    The people that grow up to be soldiers and policemen all start the obsession somewhere.
    I really hope this is only clumsy wording on your part....

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by monnie24 View Post
    When your child is 6? Will he be allowed to goto lazer squirmish with his/her friends.. It's relatively the same!
    We have just had to deal with this and I did let him go and you're right, it starts to become a grey area in that you can't hide them from it. But it also makes me more annoyed when DS pretends to shoot his sister because at 6 he should know better.

I just try to manage it the best I can and minimise it. Can you tell I'm not sure how to best deal with this anymore, you've made me think twice about it (but I still won't buy him a plastic gun!)
    Last edited by ICanDream; 13-09-2012 at 21:02.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Blueberry Crumble View Post
    I disagree that it desensitises them to death. DH and DS were playing robbers and pretending to fall down dead. But Im sure if my son saw someone get shot and die in real life he would be traumatised. He knows the difference between real and play. And honestly, he doesnt really understand death so it is just play.

The fact that boys go out of their way to make guns if there are no toy guns, shows me that it is natural for their development to go through this, and maybe it can be argued that it could be more damaging to try to stifle the urges to play like this
    My kids see death all the time and they know Daddy has to shoot sick animals or trapped pests, so our context for "gun play" is different to yours.

DS gets loads of physical, boisterous play, he rides tractors, his needs are met and encouraged and the fact that we don't buy plastic guns for him, means he gets to use his imagination.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

I do not like them. They are not allowed in my house for toys.

Thanks
    Reviews

I don't mi d whether my boy or my girl play with toy guns..... They aren't banned in our house but then again they don't have any!

Thanks
    Reviews

I'm sorry I am not trying to offend anyone. How everyone raises their own child is each to their own I am simply just stating that we have our licenses to go paintballing etc

I just think where are the days of children being children? Of course we can't let them run on the street but explaining that no that is wrong! Etc we can enforce & encourage good behavior even by letting them play with toys.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to monnie24 For This Useful Post:

Blueberry Crumble  (13-09-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by monnie24 View Post
    I'm sorry I am not trying to offend anyone. How everyone raises their own child is each to their own I am simply just stating that we have our licenses to go paintballing etc

I just think where are the days of children being children? Of course we can't let them run on the street but explaining that no that is wrong! Etc we can enforce & encourage good behavior even by letting them play with toys.
    I dunno, I think my kids have a pretty awesome life. They have chooks, pet lambs, dogs, cats, they roll in the mud whenever it takes their fancy, they have wide open spaces to explore, tree houses, cubbies. They just don't have plastic guns, and as I said earlier, if they use their stick or lego "guns", they aren't permitted to point them at people - they shoot imaginary vermin.....and pirates

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by misskittyfantastico View Post
    I dunno, I think my kids have a pretty awesome life. They have chooks, pet lambs, dogs, cats, they roll in the mud whenever it takes their fancy, they have wide open spaces to explore, tree houses, cubbies. They just don't have plastic guns, and as I said earlier, if they use their stick or lego "guns", they aren't permitted to point them at people - they shoot imaginary vermin.....and pirates
    Just out of curiosity, why is a toy gun banned but other objects representing guns okay? ( I just answered my own question didn't I?)