ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISEMENT

View Poll Results: Is it ok for little boys to play war games with toy guns?

Voters
38. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

18 47.37%
  • No

20 52.63%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    500 Posts in a week
    400 Posts in a week300 posts in a week200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a weekFunniest Caption

Default Re: What do you think about little boys playing with toy guns?

Quote Originally Posted by Elijahs Mum View Post
    i am the same as some pp,s said i would never buy them ( or swords ) for DS as i dont like the whole killing things play but as my DH and brother say they played with them and turned out ok so ill just wait and see as im sure he will come into contact with them and just explain they are just pretend etc

Does anyone know if Woody from Toy Story has a gun? DS loves woody so that may play a part in it!
    Woody has a gun holster but no actual gun.

I hate guns and tried so hard to have DS not play with them but seeing his 15yr old uncles and DP have nerf gun battles kind of kicked that out the window

He has water pistols here and a foam toy sword which can barely hurt you if hit by it. Nerf guns and shooting are limited to other houses for now.

Also if he tries to pretend shoot me I always say that he can't shoot mummy only bad guys. I hate it when he says he's killing someone or they are dead :thumbdown:

Sent from my GT-I9300T using BubHub

2. The Following User Says Thank You to FrothyFrog For This Useful Post:

Elijahs Mum  (13-09-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Michelle_N View Post
    See now this is interesting.....everyone is ok with water PISTOLS which is still a toy gun and where you shoot people...just happens to shoot out water.

So how is that different to a toy gun where you shoot someone and say 'bang'?

Dont understand......
    I said I was cool with both...

But I don't exactly see water pistols are toy guns because they're generally not used that way. Sure, you "shoot" at people, but it was more like a portable hose when I was a kid... I'd have chased my brother around with the hose much the same as I followed him around with a water pistol. There was no "play shooting," involved, it was just about wetting the other person.

When we played with toy guns, there was always some sort of killing game involved though. Maybe we were "goodies and baddies," or maybe we were cowboys or whatever. It didn't matter, but those guns were used in a completely different way to water pistols.

Hope that makes sense.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week

Default What do you think about little boys playing with toy guns?

My boy will not be playing with Toy guns. Guns serve no real purpose other than killing. Thats not a concept young kids should be involved in 'playing' around with. If anyone buys my boy any toy guns for Christmas etc they will mysteriously go missing.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    No guns in this house or 'killing' play. I also won't let them stick toy swords in people's faces or pretend to chop people's heads off or that kind of thing. They arent allowed to pretend to kill anything. I compromise and let them 'capture' instead.

I don't know if its the right approach, but I'm simply not comfortable with gun play so its not going to happen in my house. Some things I'll challenge myself to put up with for the greater good. This isn't one of those things.

Eko is offline Acrobatic Dominatrix.
    Winner 2012 - Most Politically Correct Member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    If I were to prevent my son from coming into contact with anything that was 'warlike' in my home, I'd have to live somewhere else entirely.
    The people that grow up to be soldiers and policemen all start the obsession somewhere.
    When you're young, the thing you notice about either one is the uniform and the weapon. Small minds grasp onto the obvious things first.
    Playing cops and robbers or war heroes isn't a new thing, it's been going on for centuries. It's how society perceives this rather natural behaviour that's changed imo, not aggression levels in little boys.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Eko For This Useful Post:

Blueberry Crumble  (13-09-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

I dont get the 'anti gun' thing.

Here in Australia respectable members of society carry guns and use them as a means of apprehending bad guys ... seems like a GOOD thing to be encouraging my child to aspire to really.

Also i raise my son to understand the difference between pretend and real,

Pretending to be a dinosaur does not make him a dinosaur

Playing with pretend guns does not make him someone who will grow up to be irresponsible with weapons

Sent from my MB526 using BubHub

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to intruderalert1234 For This Useful Post:

Blueberry Crumble  (13-09-2012),Eko  (14-09-2012),lolly137  (13-09-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Quote Originally Posted by Hagrid View Post
    Nope I wont be buying toy guns for my DS, I really really hate them. We were at a 2nd birthday party on the weekend and a boy (7 or so) "pretended" to shoot my DS (16 months) in the back of the head almost as soon as we walked inside, except he went "bang" and smashed DS in the head??! It just encourages violence IMO and while I will encourage imaginative play I will be discouraging gun/sword use, unless you are a trained professional it's not something you use in life, in fact it is quite illegal even if you only shoot bad people.
    If my ds deliberately hit someone with his toy anything he would loose it,

That is not 'pretend' anything that is a child misbehaving and hurting another child

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby star View Post
    If my ds deliberately hit someone with his toy anything he would loose it,

That is not 'pretend' anything that is a child misbehaving and hurting another child

I completely agree, his parents unfortunately weren't there it sucks but this is the way I have seen children use guns, not only in this instance. I can appreciate some parents are comfortable with it and not all kids are like the bully boy with guns but I am not comfortable with it for my DS.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby star View Post

Playing with pretend guns does not make him someone who will grow up to be irresponsible with weapons

Perhaps not. But playing 'bang bang you're dead' type games may lead to the child not fully understanding/being desensitised to/ treating life and death issues flippantly which creates a whole heap of dangers.
    Last edited by VicPark; 13-09-2012 at 18:39.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to VicPark For This Useful Post:

AllYouNeedIsLove  (14-09-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    My girl has the cutest little western outfit with guns and all ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast