ADVERTISEMENT

View Poll Results: Is it ok for little boys to play war games with toy guns?

Voters
38. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

18 47.37%
  • No

20 52.63%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Meh...they are toys. My kids love to go around the house shooting baddies 'cause they are the super heroes. DS2 makes guns out of anything he can - legos, bananas, cardboard....literally anything. He loves to be a 'sergant' because he thinks he is the good guy and get all the baddies.

I have no issues with it. We teach them about guns, how real guns hurt people, they only play with toys guns at home and dont take them outside as we have explained that people may be frightened of they as they dont know they are toys.

They also pretend to be doctors, chefs, vets, superheroes, policemen and rock stars. In my eyes its all imaginative play and as long as they receive guidance from me if the play goes pear-shaped then I have no issues with gun play.

I remember when I was a little girl waaaaay back in the 70's. My Opa would make us bow and arrows and we would run around pretending to be cowboys and indians. I think I grew up ok.
    Last edited by FluffyDucks; 13-09-2012 at 17:14. Reason: i cant spell

2. The Following User Says Thank You to FluffyDucks For This Useful Post:

Bonkers  (13-09-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by faroutbrusselsprout View Post
    I don't care what others do but we don't have any guns in the house and never will.
    I just can't get my head around playing "killing people"...
    Meh, I'm pretty sensitive though.
    I agree.

We held off as long as we could and then went to a fair and ds won a set in a game so we thought we would see how it went. Ds was 4. It didn't last long, threw the whole lot out within a few days and will never let him have them again.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default What do you think about little boys playing with toy guns?

My little DS has some toy guns and runs around shooting and making sound effects. His playing and he knows it. I think it's part of growing up. I use to play with toy guns so did the kids dad and my parents and prob theirs.

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by Michelle_N View Post
    Meh...they are toys. My kids love to go around the house shooting baddies 'cause they are the super heroes. DS2 makes guns out of anything he can - legos, bananas, cardboard....literally anything. He loves to be a 'sergant' because he thinks he is the good guy and get all the baddies.

I have no issues with it. We teach them about guns, how real guns hurt people, they only play with toys guns at home and dont take them outside as we have explained that people may be frightened of they as they dont know they are toys.

They also pretend to be doctors, chefs, vets, superheroes, policemen and rock stars. In my eyes its all imaginative play and as long as they receive guidance from me if the play goes pear-shaped then I have no issues with gun play.

I remember when I was a little girl waaaaay back in the 70's. My Opa would make us bow and arrows and we would run around pretending to be cowboys and indians. I think I grew up ok.
    Lol my DS pretends his super man and is "so strong" he says " me strong" in this funny funny voice haha. Sorry for the off topic. Please continue lol

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I have no problem.
    I see it as people are more ok with toy swords where kids hit one another with them and can cause real injury, whereas toy guns kids just point and go bang. No harm done unlike a toy sword.

Thanks
    Reviews

I won't be buying any types of guns for my son bar water pistols. We live on a farm so are around guns a lot and I want my son to learn gun safety rather then going around trying to 'kill' people with a capgun or the like.

Thanks
    Reviews
    See now this is interesting.....everyone is ok with water PISTOLS which is still a toy gun and where you shoot people...just happens to shoot out water.

So how is that different to a toy gun where you shoot someone and say 'bang'?

Dont understand......

9. The Following User Says Thank You to FluffyDucks For This Useful Post:

ChickyBee  (13-09-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    i am the same as some pp,s said i would never buy them ( or swords ) for DS as i dont like the whole killing things play but as my DH and brother say they played with them and turned out ok so ill just wait and see as im sure he will come into contact with them and just explain they are just pretend etc

Does anyone know if Woody from Toy Story has a gun? DS loves woody so that may play a part in it!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

No guns here. I don't like to normalise them.

Thanks
    Reviews

Nope I wont be buying toy guns for my DS, I really really hate them. We were at a 2nd birthday party on the weekend and a boy (7 or so) "pretended" to shoot my DS (16 months) in the back of the head almost as soon as we walked inside, except he went "bang" and smashed DS in the head??! It just encourages violence IMO and while I will encourage imaginative play I will be discouraging gun/sword use, unless you are a trained professional it's not something you use in life, in fact it is quite illegal even if you only shoot bad people.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to RobinSparkles For This Useful Post:

AllYouNeedIsLove  (14-09-2012)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast