+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default RANT! Clean house?

With two kids my house can go from spotless to destruction in 5mins flat. We are not filthy and we get no more colds etc than anyone else I know. Sure I'd like a little less toys and whatnot around but meh my kids are happy, DH seems happy and I'd rather play too.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to ICanDream For This Useful Post:

AllYouNeedIsLove  (07-09-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Everyone is different in the amount of time they have and their ranking of importance of cleanliness. That's ok!

I *like* having my house clean, but when things get busy, it rarely is!

We both work full time, I am running a business part time and we both have sport/hobbies that take up a lot of time (I should add here, we are TTC, no kids as yet).

DH (although he'd never admit it) is shockingly messy. Rarely puts things away or in the bin. We're both adults, I refuse to nag - only occasionally remind him. He now washes clothes, cooks and has learned to wipe benches, so I suppose picking up after himself will catch on one day? It's not worth having a domestic over. I'm not the neatest person either and I am not going to trot after him cleaning up every mess he makes.

If life gets any busier I'll pay someone to do all the big jobs I hate doing. Keeping house is only a very small part of my life.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Quote Originally Posted by MrsOhara View Post
    You can still have a neat/tidy/clean home and spend time with your kids.

I get them involved. I give them a chux with a bit of warm water an they wipe things.
    They help clean their room and pass me linen to make the beds, I also get them to come and play outside and pass me washing to be hung out. When I do the floors (daily) they have their own dust pan and brush sets and run around helping.
    Housework is done and we're doing something together win win.

I do agree though that having a clean home doesn't have anything to do with sickness.
    I love what your doing. The only way kids learn how to keep a house is to actually do it. I never learnt because my mum was super controlling and if it wasnt done a certain way, it wasn't good enough. We never learnt how to clean as a concequence.
    I do the same as you, my kids help me clean as opposed to me doing it for them. Sometimes it's not perfect but at least they tried to have a go. Eg is bed making. My 2 yr old makes her bed. It generally is a mess, but I never fix it. She will get better at it. My 7yr old, who has made his bed from age 2, is now a fantastic bed maker. He can even do hospital corners.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BrAins For This Useful Post:

atomicmama  (07-09-2012),MrsOhara  (07-09-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think there's a difference between clean and tidy. You can have an untidy house but it still be clean like some toys on the floor, clean washing in a pile on the couch waiting to be folded, dining table covered in newspaper, magazines, kids homework etc.

People who don't wipe up spills or clean up obvious food mess - ick!

7. The Following User Says Thank You to wannawannabe For This Useful Post:

VicPark  (07-09-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I can't think of a reason anyone would openly criticize someone else's spotlessly clean house apart from jealousy?

Take it as a compliment OP. I'd be pretty pleased with myself if my home was at showroom standard.

Funny how it doesn't go both ways. Imagine if you went over to a messy friends house and commented "wow, your house is filthy"! Pretty sure that'd be the end of the friendship.

And for the record, my house is never at showroom standard. But my bestie is a clean freak and I love spending time at her house

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mod-Degrassi For This Useful Post:

Guest1234  (07-09-2012),Squeegee  (07-09-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi,
    If someone is saying to a new mum or someone returning to work or after a difficult time that its ok to have a meesy house that is good, as it lets them focus on the important things at that time. If its to justify it all the time not sure it is as useful.
    My house changes as we get busy, but all mess that is dangerous is always cleaned up. ie dishes, spills, objects in hall that you can fall over.
    I also teach my DD that as long as she is playing with the toy it can stay out, but if she changes games the other toys need to go back into their box. Saves alot of asking and bending over on my behalf.
    I wish that at times if could be tidier but also realise that balance in my life is important.

Thanks
    Reviews

My cousins used to be locked outside of the house during the day, even in winter, in case they messed it up.

I'm not saying those of you with clean houses do that, just that there are people like that in the world and that's why comments like that are around.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Re: RANT! Clean house?

I didn't mean that everyone has a filthy house if it's not as clean as mine, but the people that tend to make these comments ARE living in filth... They leave dirty dishes in their room for days, if they even have sheets on their beds they're dirty, there are dirty nappies laying around.

If you haven't vacuumed for a few days or there are toys everywhere, that's normal.

And I do spend time with my DD, I'm teaching her to pack her toys away before she moves on to something else. She will also help pack the clean dishes away, etc. just because my house is clean, it doesn't mean my child gets abandoned.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Minchi View Post
    lol, i know what u mean!! im sick of hearing ''ooooh your house can pass for a display home'''... yeah whatever.
    I would totally take that as a compliment, I would LOVE to live in a house that looks like a display home! Sadly I am one of the ones who can't manage to keep my house neat no matter what I do...

14. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to shelle65 For This Useful Post:

beebs  (07-09-2012),Happy2be3  (07-09-2012),Luna Lovegood  (07-09-2012),Squeegee  (07-09-2012),twotrunks  (07-09-2012)

headoverfeet is offline The truth will set you free, but first it will **** you off. -Gloria Steinem
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week

When keeping your house pristine gets in the way of life then I think it becomes a problem. I had a friend who never had us over because she didnt want their house messy. Yet she would come to mine weekly and quiet happily leave without helping to tidy up.

On the flip side if your a messy person and you don't have people over because of it it's also a problem IMO.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to headoverfeet For This Useful Post:

Crazyfamily  (07-09-2012),Happy2be3  (07-09-2012)