ADVERTISEMENT

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Sick of the nap time struggles

Hi Cuddles,
    I don't know your personal situation but in my house DH gets baby up in the morning. We leave him in his bed until he cries out for us (he lays there talking to the walls for a while!!) then DH gets him, changes him and takes him down for a play. He is fine with this but if I go to him he loses his mind until I feed him. Now he loses it if he even sees me so I sneak into the kitchen and get breaky.

Then at 7.30 I will take my time BFing him and he has a big feed then. When we first started this he would sometimes cry for food earlier so I would feed earlier but now this time is pretty established. Then after BF he will play with mummy for a while and then when he gets cranky (he is pretty tired by this point) I give him rice cereal and fruit purée. He will happily sit and be fed and I just make sure the spoonfuls arent too big so that takes a while too. As soon as the food runs out he goes back to cranky and so we start the go to bed routine: wash face, goodnight to dogs, change nappy, put in sleeping bag and dummy in. At that point it is 9am and he usually is asleep before I leave the room!! If he wakes late I push BF back a bit then speed up the food/play/bed bit!! But now he is always in bed at 9am.

Then he wakes at 10.30 and I get him dressed for the day then BF around 11. Then we go out (shops, swimming, music, books@library, gymberoo - heaps of options from free to expensive) and get home by 12.30 ish. Straight to lunch (meat and veg then fruit for dessert) then in bed by 1pm.

Sorry - am on phone... Need to re-read your questions!!

Thanks
    Reviews

Part 2!!!

I haven't done a top up feed and didn't feel we needed to to fit this routine, but I don't think it would hurt if you wanted to.

Yes, overtired is revolting!! I use a dummy for bed and while getting him onto this I would use the dummy a little bit for up time when the evil grouchy monster arrived. I really found being out and about helped with this. He has stuff to look at or do - when at home he would be much worse. Mistake I made once was to venture too far afield - Bub fell asleep in the car on the drive home and threw me into a tail spin!!!

I really feel you with the resettling. It is SO HARD. My guy would be gorgeous when he woke after 40 mins initially and all he wanted was to get up, but was getting grouchier and even was occasionally crying as soon as he woke up - that is when I knew I had to intervene. It was lots of shushing rocking etc and a few tears as well (me and him). I just kept telling myself I am trying to teach him a skill that will really help him. There were days I just couldn't do it and when he was really happy I would just get him up. But any sign of a grizzle and the resettling began.

Persist through the hysterics and she will settle. And remember it feels like it is longer than it actually is when trying to resettle. Good luck!!

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by mum2one99 View Post
    Just attended a talk on catnapping and they suggested two solutions
    - feed, big long play, feed, v short play then sleep (rather than fees play slerp as some bubs might be waking due to hunger)
    - the usual self settling so they wake where they fell asleep
    Worth a try :-)
    Yeah I usually have to do two feeds or just one at the end as I'm sure that's why she cat naps. She has reflux so getting her to have fewer but bigger feeds is difficult.

My DD even at nap times still falls asleep in her cot, I just sit with her when she falls asleep, is that meant to be the same as your suggestion or is it just as bad as rocking them to sleep in arms then putting them down?

Thanks
    Reviews

Woo hoo!!!

DD is putting herself to sleep for her day naps!!

For her first sleep on Thursday i sat and shushed her but it was like i wasnt even there as she looked up to the head of her cot and twisted her head from side to side as she does when she self settles at night and fell asleep and slept for nearly 2 hours. Her second sleep of the day she put herself to sleep and slept 1 hr 20 minutes!!!

Friday morning she self settled for her first nap and slept 2 hours again!!! I went out to a lunch and my dad looked after DD and though I told him the nap routine, he was too excited to have her all to himself that he didn't start it when I left and she was tired, he left it to a half hour later. Shelf course didn't self settle as she was then over tired and only slept 20 minutes! (Argh!) I got home at 3:30 and she was so tired and hungry, so I fed her, then we went for a drive and she managed a nap thank god!

Saturday she self settled for her first two naps, then napped in the car. Success!!!! It's working!

Today it's working again!!!

I think it's just that I've been sticking to the nappy, sleeping bag, feed, bed routine. She knows after all of that that it's time for her to sleep! And as she's been putting herself to sleep she's been resettling herself and sleeping longer!

Alleluia!!! I hope I'm not jinxing anything by saying this all out aloud but I'm so happy! She's also happier as she's not over tired and she's drinking more too! I know the whole sleep, play feed routine is unconventional but its working for now, so I'm going to roll with it until it stops working!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to CuddlesAwait For This Useful Post:

Starfish30  (10-09-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews

Subbing as I have same issue

Thanks
    Reviews

Yep! Spoke too soon!

Last night she woke up at 5:00, only two hours after her last feed. She drank nearly a full bottle but wouldn't go back to sleep. I tried burping, more food, but nothing worked!

Then I took her to bed with us and she stayed awake but was quiet. At 6 she was rubbing her eyes and yawning so I carried her back to her cot where she fell asleep on her own with no crying.

This morning after she woke at what I think was 7, I put her down exactly as I had the day before with the same timings but she cried and didn't sleep. I tried everything even getting her up by the tears continued.

Just before 11 she was really tired again so I fed her and she fell asleep feeding. When she was finished she was awake a bit and went down with no fuss and is still asleep over an hour later.

Now I'm not sure what's gone wrong for her to wake at 5 is it that she didn't nap at the end of the day yesterday? Did she sleep too much yesterday?

What happened for her morning nap!? Did she maybe wake up earlier than I thought? Was it the food I gave her for breakfast that irritated her!?

Who knows! But I feel that with each win, things go backwards!

Man, I'm pooped!

SuperGranny is online now Worlds best grandma! Winner 2012 - Most Helpful Member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    hi, grandma speaking again, cuddles, dont try to figure everything out, you will loose your marbles doing that. just take each day as it comes. relax and enjoy the ride, babies are babies for such a short time. hugs marie

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by SuperGranny View Post
    hi, grandma speaking again, cuddles, dont try to figure everything out, you will loose your marbles doing that. just take each day as it comes. relax and enjoy the ride, babies are babies for such a short time. hugs marie
    Marie, I wish it were that easy but if DD carries on every day and doesn't sleep well in the day, she's a nightmare to put to bed for the night, she doesn't self settle as usual and wakes up a hell of a lot.

If I could go with the flow, I would but that makes for a very tired and grumpy, crying baby, each and every day, which stresses me out.

I'm sure people with babies who can sleep anywhere any time and don't have reflux like my bub can do that, but I've tried and it doesn't work!

Thanks
    Reviews

Cuddles - sounds like you were getting on top of things. I know it is hard but sometimes you just have off days. Stick to what you have been doing and follow as closely as possible the routine you have put in place. If it continues like this for a couple of days - then start analyzing what you might need to change. You will more than likely find she will sort herself out without you changing anything.

Also, remember things like getting sick (cold / flu etc) and teeth can cause disruptions like you are describing. Once these pass they go back to their normal routine.

Some will disagree but if my guy is a bit unsettled like this for over 24 hrs I will give some panadol to see if it makes him feel better.

Re reflux: are you on Losec? Is it helping? Assume you have tilted the bed etc to help reflux when sleeping?

Thanks
    Reviews

Oh, and re 5am waking. Could she be getting cold? Maybe try adding an extra blanket after the 3am feed and see if a bit of extra warmth might get her through. 5am is generally the coldest part if the night.