ADVERTISEMENT

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Sick of the nap time struggles

I'm sooooo exhausted!!!! DD is a good sleeper at night. She self settles and only wakes twice for feeds (when she's not sick)

Each and every nap is a struggle to get her down. I don't know after so many struggles for so long whether she's not going to sleep because she's hungry, needs a burp, not tired enough (rare), too tired or if there is something else bothering her.

It makes it hard to be consistent with how I help her to settle / teach her to self settle in the day. Also as we aren't at home for every nap, she will sleep in her pram if I move it or in the car but only for 20 minutes.

What makes it even more frustrating is that she's been doing some longer stretches lately, some times 1 hr 20, other times 2 hrs, so when she catnaps it makes it do much more frustrating!

I'm mentally and physically exhausted from these struggles each and every day!

Any body got tips on how to work out what's up with my bub each time?

I look out for tired signs but she's almost always rubbing her eyes or yawning. Especially as she usually catnaps.

Thanks
    Reviews

I would try to out her down at the same time every day - also if she is already yawning, running her eyes etc she may be overtired and that makes it harder for a baby to self settle and fall off to sleep.

Not sure how old your baby is, with mine I followed a routine kind of like this. 7pm-7am sleep, feed, play 9-11 sleep (some people like just a 45 min nap for their babies in the morning but mine were both happy with 2 hours), up, feed, play, 1-3 sleep, up, feed play. Under about 9 months they also had a quick nap late afternoon - usually in the pusher whilst I walked, then play, bath, feed and back to bed at 7.

I would try to resettle back to sleep any sleep that was under an hour initially as sometimes a baby will wake through a sleep cycle but not had the full amount of sleep they need.

Once my babies were used to their routine I didn't have much problems with catnaps - of course not every day goes to plan, but on the whole I would be able to plan a day knowing sleeps would happen when I thought they would etc.

Thanks
    Reviews

She's just turned 6 months.

The problems I find is that she wakes up at different times in the morning, so if I try for a consistent nap time of say 9am if she woke up at 7, that would be perfect as 2 hours is her max awake time, but if she wakes up at 6, then 3 hours is too long. If I put her down at 8 (if she woke at 6) and only sleeps 40 minutes, it's only 9 and she's already had a nap.

Resettling never works! I tried for weeks on end with resettling. It she's wide awake and ready to party! So my days just end up really messy, everyday.

No matter how long she naps though when she wakes up, she's yawning and rubbing her eyes half an hour later! It would make sense if it's after a 40 minute nap, but not after a 2 hour nap.

Thanks
    Reviews

What Hannahly said!!

My LO is 6 mths and we do pretty much as Hannahly described except he only sleeps for 1.5 hrs rather than 2.

Yes they wake at different times each morning but if you can use distraction and play so that morning feeds are at the same time then that makes it easier. Are you on solids? Feeding is a great way to keep baby entertained for a while and you can string it out!

Resettling is hard but it is worth it. In the early days I would make sure baby was in bed for the amount of time the nap should go for, even if most of it was resettling. I know those days when you look at a smiling happy baby and just think you aren't going back to sleep! In these cases I would get LO up but keep up until next scheduled sleep time. I started doing organized activities out of the house which made it easier to keep baby awake for the right amount of time then home, lunch and bed.

Keep persevering - it will get better x

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Re: Sick of the nap time struggles

This sounds just like my 3 month old DS. I was just hopeful that he would get better with time, now I'm a bit worried and keen for suggestions!

Like your baby, he is often tired during the day and cries before falling asleep. And it's impossible to resettle him once he is awake. He takes 40 min naps

SuperGranny is offline Worlds best grandma! Winner 2012 - Most Helpful Member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    hi, putting on my grandma hat now. babies do whatever they want. If they need sleep they sleep if they dont they dont. no baby can tell the the time. so throw clocks out the window. your life and the babies life will be a whole lot more relaxed and enjoyable if mums every where forgot the time and just enjoyed the baby. I understand some mothers need routine and planning, but really, the baby is a baby for such a short time, go with the flow. housework will last you another thirty years. not meaning any offence. marie.

7. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to SuperGranny For This Useful Post:

babylove81  (04-09-2012),FutureMa  (04-09-2012),missie_mackxxxx  (11-09-2012),Starfish30  (04-09-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews

Catnaps suck. I struggled with them for ages with my bub who is almost 7 months now. I found that she just grew out of it and now sleeps for about 1.5 hrs over lunch.
    I still made sure she was in her cot for her big sleep. Some days I'd sit next to the cot and she'd go back to sleep. I read all the books and tried everything. We still have some days when she struggles to get back to sleep after the first sleep cycle but most days are good.
    Stay sane, it will improve. I know we all want a quick fix but i'm pretty darn sure there isn't one!
    Good luck, my thoughts are with you!

Thanks
    Reviews
    My DD was like this for a good 12 months, and is now very hit and miss again with naps at 2yo.

Nothing really worked for her and we decided to give up on the naps at home. I'd go for walks or drives and she'd normally sleep then. If she didn't sleep, then we'd have a grumpy baby, but there wasn't much we could do about it despite our best efforts.

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by SuperGranny View Post
    hi, putting on my grandma hat now. babies do whatever they want. If they need sleep they sleep if they dont they dont. no baby can tell the the time. so throw clocks out the window. your life and the babies life will be a whole lot more relaxed and enjoyable if mums every where forgot the time and just enjoyed the baby. I understand some mothers need routine and planning, but really, the baby is a baby for such a short time, go with the flow. housework will last you another thirty years. not meaning any offence. marie.
    Oh not getting housework done etc doesn't bother me in the slightest, it's that DD gets very upset when she is over tired so her sleeping for a decent amount of time is for her benefit so she can be bright and happy. Not upset and tired all the time.

I really wish it were that simple and true that a baby will sleep when they r tired, but this is definitely not the case for DD and dare I say most babies. If that were the case sleep schools and sleep training wouldn't exist. Either that or some babies would never sleep.

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by bedlover View Post
    What Hannahly said!!

My LO is 6 mths and we do pretty much as Hannahly described except he only sleeps for 1.5 hrs rather than 2.

Yes they wake at different times each morning but if you can use distraction and play so that morning feeds are at the same time then that makes it easier. Are you on solids? Feeding is a great way to keep baby entertained for a while and you can string it out!
    Yes DD is on solids. Do you feed as soon as they wake up, then do solids closer to the regular nap time? Do you ever do a top up feed too?

Is your bub miserable when over tired? My DD is so I'm not sure how much I can distract her. I often try but over tiredness gets the better of her and all hopes of her sleeping well for the rest of the day is out the window.

Quote Originally Posted by bedlover View Post
    Resettling is hard but it is worth it. In the early days I would make sure baby was in bed for the amount of time the nap should go for, even if most of it was resettling. I know those days when you look at a smiling happy baby and just think you aren't going back to sleep! In these cases I would get LO up but keep up until next scheduled sleep time. I started doing organized activities out of the house which made it easier to keep baby awake for the right amount of time then home, lunch and bed.
    This is DD to a tee! Smiling, babbling, bright eyed and bushy tailed and ready to take on the world! Every time I try the resettle there's hysterics and tears!