+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    What and cutting another 2700 jobs today is going to help the economy in QLD?

http://news.ninemsn.com.au/national/...-scale-of-cuts

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mahjong View Post
    What and cutting another 2700 jobs today is going to help the economy in QLD?

http://news.ninemsn.com.au/national/...-scale-of-cuts
    Yes. Another failed Labor policy.

Busy-Bee is offline Offending people since before Del :D
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    Quote Originally Posted by Father View Post
    I agree.

It seems that many here are blind to the facts, despite it being clearly written in that article.

Keep slashing Newman. The spending sprees need to stop.
    A friend's husband's job is to clean and maintain important medical equipment. He is the only one with detailed knowledge of how to do this and regularly gets calls in the middle of the night to fix medical equipment that is required for emergency surgeries. Thanks to Newman he might not have a job very soon. What will happen when these machines break down (which they do every week) and the emergency surgeries can't be performed? People will die, that's what will happen. At best, contractors will be bought in which cost more money and don't have the experience.

I'm having flashbacks to the Joh era.

Newman's interpretation of the arts is probably Big Brother

Father, I didn't realise you lived in Qld?

Newman cuts are ruthless at best. Other programs he has cut include early intervention programs for youths at risk (hello crime rates in 10 years), turfing out long time residents of caravan parks (mostly elderly who have no where else to go) to sell the land to developers. He has just slashed a bunch of IT developers who maintain systems that help front office do their job - not sure who he expects will do this work now. Then there's the education staff cuts...

I'm not interested in getting out of the red. I realise and accept that some cuts were due but he is cold, ruthless and has no heart.
    Last edited by Busy-Bee; 07-09-2012 at 12:56.

4. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Busy-Bee For This Useful Post:

beebs  (07-09-2012),Chrysanthemum  (07-09-2012),Luna Lovegood  (07-09-2012),Mahjong  (07-09-2012),wannawannabe  (07-09-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by The Fox View Post
    No maybe not big brother itself but the exposure of dreamworld and the GG every night on TV will. The show always features heavily dreamword attractions like the lions and stuff.
    Besides, the article said that the previous government where the ones who made the agreement to invest he money so the new government just inherited the agreement
    Actually Newman still had to sign off on the agreement. He could have chosen not to.

Quote Originally Posted by Father View Post
    I agree.

It seems that many here are blind to the facts, despite it being clearly written in that article.

Keep slashing Newman. The spending sprees need to stop.
    If Newman's got $200,000 to spend on 'entertainment' I would rather see it spent on something like the Literacy Arts awards that fosters and encourages talent and reading. All Big Brother encourages is stupid people watching other stupid people get their 15 minutes of fame and achieving absolutely nothing.

Slashing nurses, midwives and doctors jobs are not the way to cut the budget.

Not saying that Labour did everything right (Q Healh Payroll being the main one), but people seem to forget that in the last 2 years we've had a major catastrophic flood that left 75% of the state under water and damaged millions if not billions of dollars worth of roads and infrastructure across the state, plus Cyclone Yasi not long after that. I would expect the government would be in debt after the repair bill after that.

Yes I would imagine there is dead wood in the public service and cuts do need to happen, but the government seems to be plucking numbers and going 'you and you and you, you're gone' as opposed to looking at individuals performance and needs of the department and doing job cuts that way.

6. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to wannawannabe For This Useful Post:

beebs  (07-09-2012),Busy-Bee  (07-09-2012),LotusMum  (07-09-2012),Luna Lovegood  (07-09-2012),Mahjong  (07-09-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I don't know where you work Father, but I do know that there is a very real fear in both public and private sectors that these job cuts will weaken the economy.

Fewer people in employment = less spending/use of private sector services = economic downturn.

There has already been a very noticeable effect in Brisbane car parking buildings which have been likened to ghost towns.

Another stellar choice that the government has made has been to cut funding and/or decentralise many preventive health care services. It might make their balance sheet look pretty in the short term but the long term health bill will blow out, not to mention the human cost in ill health and suffering.

So, respectfully, I have to say I don't agree with your assessment.

ETA: I also agree with OP and PPs re the questionable merit of retaining BB funding. I think it is the epitome of poor taste and the fact that it is still going after the first couple of years "novelty" has worn off is a source of amazement to me.
    Last edited by Chrysanthemum; 07-09-2012 at 13:14.

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Chrysanthemum For This Useful Post:

beebs  (07-09-2012),Mahjong  (07-09-2012),wannawannabe  (07-09-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by The Fox View Post
    I think the tourism to QLD and Dreamworld would create more revenue for the State then the literacy awards. Also, the agreement was made by the previous government so I dont see how you can put the blame on them if you disagree with the decision
    The question is how much tourism would actually be drummed up exclusively for big brother vs. Australian seasonal tourists to the Gold Coast, which usually go to the Gold Coast September, then November-February anyway?

Sure, loads of people will go to Dreamword and the Big Brother House, but how many are going exclusively for that purpose as opposed to people visiting because they were already there?

Why does the Newman government care so much about tourism now, when they've already made cuts to tourism funding?

Smart State? I think not!

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Luna Lovegood For This Useful Post:

beebs  (07-09-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Chrysanthemum View Post
    I also agree with OP and PPs re the questionable merit of retaining BB funding. I think it is the epitome of poor taste and the fact that it is still going after the first couple of years "novelty" has worn off is a source of amazement to me.
    Knowing that the Big Brother House is there will put me off visiting Dreamworld until it is goneskies.

Quote Originally Posted by Chrysanthemum View Post
    Another stellar choice that the government has made has been to cut funding and/or decentralise many preventive health care services. It might make their balance sheet look pretty in the short term but the long term health bill will blow out, not to mention the human cost in ill health and suffering.
    Another thing that isn't getting mentioned in the media because they're not technically existing jobs that are being cut is the slashing of Nursing and Midwifery Graduate programs for 2013. There is a large number of hospitals that have already said they won't be taking on graduates in the new year, and there are still a number of graduates that graduated in July and are still waiting to start work in hospitals but have been told that budget cuts will prevent them from starting until at least the new year. Mid year programs for 2013 have already been cut, and a lot of those who did get jobs in July are on reduced hours (0.4-0.6FTE) which depending on your situation probably isn't going to cut it financially.

There has also been a reduction in the number of intern positions (doctors first year out of uni) that will be available as well and there are also doctors still waiting to be placed in hospitals that were offered positions 4 months ago.