+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

Talking Information, Discussions, Debates and Fights

Quite often I've seen someone suggest a thread is a fight, or being 'catty' (BTW I despise that term being applied to women, as an implication of female only nastiness when it's male cats that right more than women), being b1tchy (another term I hate, but I digress) when really people are just having a discussion with opposing views, or a debate.

Often a healthy, vigerous or heated debate isn't a fight and isn't personal. I think often people are too quick to jump to the view that people are being 'catty' or b1tchy. Either that or I am quite obtuse.
    Last edited by WorkingClassMum; 03-09-2012 at 18:30.

Nowhere is offline Winner 2007- Most Supportive Of Feeding Other-Than-Breast Award
    Winner 2010- Most Optimistic Poster Award
    Winner 2010- The Most Supportive Member Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    LOL you ws reading the same things as i was typing in today i think hehe ( i didnt use the c word once you would be so proud lol ) Yes i totally agree discusion is good always good, I laughed today i was accused of looking for a fight and i wasnt but then i ended up assmuning the other one was so in the end it was a case of pot calling the kettle.

So yer i think sometimes we all think we are discusssing and the other is looking for a fight.

and you being obtuse no way that is not your style in IMO the oh mighty peace keeper and the defender of the under dog maybe but not obtuse

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Information, Discussions, Debates and Fights

Some people can't handle difference of opinion and take it as an attack, and make it personal, when it isn't.

Thanks
    Reviews

Has bubhub ever had a debate thread - a few other sites do?

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by Elijahs Mum View Post
    Has bubhub ever had a debate thread - a few other sites do?
    No, I don't think so. People have suggested it, but I don't think the mods are keen.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts

I don't know if this is referring to a specific thread (if so, I missed it) or about bh in general.

I think it can be nasty sometimes, for sure, but other times people take offence or take you the wrong way.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRedV View Post
    I don't know if this is referring to a specific thread (if so, I missed it) or about bh in general.

I think it can be nasty sometimes, for sure, but other times people take offence or take you the wrong way.
    A specific thread brought it to mind, but no it's a general comment that comes up when a discussion thread has different opinions or beliefs being posted.

Yes, some threads do get nasty or personal - and quite often that's understandably when the mods step in.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Maybe I have thick skin, or maybe I have a 'thick head' lol, but it takes a fair bit to rile me up in online discussions.

I kind of expect that a lot of people will disagree with me actually because I have some very different views about some things. ie, I'm a Christian.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Re: Information, Discussions, Debates and Fights

Disagreeing and voicing your opposing opinion I think is quite healthy and can help ideas grow.

Depending on the subject, I think you can tell when a discussion turns into a debate and then sinks to becoming a fight.

Elijahsmum, a debate section has been requested and denied.
    Which is a shame I think, considering soooo many topics get debated for educational and entertainment purposes in the media.

Sent from my LT15i using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by FiveInTheBed View Post
    Disagreeing and voicing your opposing opinion I think is quite healthy and can help ideas grow.

Depending on the subject, I think you can tell when a discussion turns into a debate and then sinks to becoming a fight.

Elijahsmum, a debate section has been requested and denied.
    Which is a shame I think, considering soooo many topics get debated for educational and entertainment purposes in the media.

Sent from my LT15i using BubHub
    An adults only section was requested and denied, but eventually the mods agreed to trial it. Seems it wasn't such a bad idea after all as we still have an adults only section. A poll helped, too.

I think a debate area would be great.