+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Whooping cough?

My 2yo has had an awful cough, mostly at night, for a couple of weeks now, but seems otherwise well. She is up to date with her vaccinations. There were a couple of children at the school her older siblings go to who had whooping cough, and I was wondering if that's what she might have.

She seems fine other than this really choking sort of cough that she has a couple of times during the night. It subsides fairly quickly and she goes back to sleep.

I'm against antibiotics unless they're absolutely necessary. Do you think I should let whatever it is run it's course or take her to the doctor? As I said it doesn't seem to be overly worrying her. I've had whatever it is, too, and I did feel sick, but the cough is now going away.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    If the cough has only lasted a few days to a week it won't be WC. WC is also known as 100 day cough

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Whooping cough?

My DD had a cough that went on for months- we had to take her to emergency over Easter for croup and she has had a persistent cough since. It got worse a couple of weeks ago and the GP swabbed her for whooping cough and it came back negative. We were referred to a paediatrician and she now has a ventolin puffer and nasal spray for hayfever. The cough has been better since then.
    I believe that if it is whooping cough the antibiotics have to be started within 72 hrs of the cough starting- they are supposed to reduce the recovery time and stop passing it on, but they have to be started straight away.
    HTH