+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by babyla View Post
    Just thought of a game you could play - the one where you guess who the baby in the photo is. Kids especially love it.
    Oooh, very good idea.

BarefootedMumma is offline Aiming to be in the top 10 busiest users one week.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Re: Have you attended a family reunion?

My mother does the family tree. Having at least 1 person with a laptop/pc with a family tree program is great. Especially if not everyone can make it or has close ties. Also my mother takes a note book where people can write their "hatched, matched and dispatched" (the births deaths and marriages) and Also request a copy of the tree, either electronic or printed. Ours are fairly small compared to yours though. Just from 2nd fleet down. We could get more but my mother's ancestor's surname was spelt different to his Brother's at immigration.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    We have had one massive one, there were about 1000 hot-tempered red-heads all together from all over the world. Maybe more of us lol. So many!

Thanks
    Reviews
    So do you do coloured tees?
    Each branch has their colour and can do what they please with it.

My branch is green ... one time we had green tees with our branch screen printed onto it. Another time we had matching hawaiian shirts in green & white. Last time we allowed each branch in our branch to do their own thing (as long as it was green) and that looked great too as each family is getting older.

I remember one reunion where another branch has Orange and they all turned up in their fluoro SES outfits.

We also have each branch set up a family display. Old photos of the past generations, memorabilia, heirlooms, things that mean something to each branch. This would get set up for the entire long weekend in a display area.

Cooking competitions are always fun as well as sports for the younger ones (unless you have older ones who want to get involved too). My 5 year old (at the time) nephew got a kick (& a couple of red welts) out of whip cracking at the last reunion.

Definitely hire a professional photographer for the 'family' photos. We do, it means that a family member doesn't have to miss out on being in the photos. We do the full group photo, branch photos, each generation, oldest & youngest present.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Sounds very much like us, we have a committee too and a treasurer for every country (USA, UK, HK, AU and NZ), then we're planning to do mixed family teams for chores/cooking to get to know each other better on a rotating roster, each has an 'aunty' assigned to it to ensure it's done right.
    We are so lucky that the vast majority of the family have stayed in the one state ... couldn't imagine trying to organise it internationally.

An 'aunt' or team leader is a must for keeping their team organised

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Barefooted&Pregnant View Post
    My mother does the family tree. Having at least 1 person with a laptop/pc with a family tree program is great. Especially if not everyone can make it or has close ties. Also my mother takes a note book where people can write their "hatched, matched and dispatched" (the births deaths and marriages) and Also request a copy of the tree, either electronic or printed. Ours are fairly small compared to yours though. Just from 2nd fleet down. We could get more but my mother's ancestor's surname was spelt different to his Brother's at immigration.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using BubHub
    I'm the family member with the family tree software usually. Lol.

We have several lines going back to 1100ish, but I'm obsessed with downlines, so will definitely have to get the 'hatched, matched and dispatched' up to date.

I was considering doing a wall long family tree including photos as we will get most of the details before people arrive. So I'd use tape for lines, then bluetack people's mug shots onto it. That way people can reference it to see where people fit in (aside from associating their colours to their ancestor).

Quote Originally Posted by Tropical Bub View Post
    Each branch has their colour and can do what they please with it.

My branch is green ... one time we had green tees with our branch screen printed onto it. Another time we had matching hawaiian shirts in green & white. Last time we allowed each branch in our branch to do their own thing (as long as it was green) and that looked great too as each family is getting older.

I remember one reunion where another branch has Orange and they all turned up in their fluoro SES outfits.

We also have each branch set up a family display. Old photos of the past generations, memorabilia, heirlooms, things that mean something to each branch. This would get set up for the entire long weekend in a display area.

Cooking competitions are always fun as well as sports for the younger ones (unless you have older ones who want to get involved too). My 5 year old (at the time) nephew got a kick (& a couple of red welts) out of whip cracking at the last reunion.

Definitely hire a professional photographer for the 'family' photos. We do, it means that a family member doesn't have to miss out on being in the photos. We do the full group photo, branch photos, each generation, oldest & youngest present.
    I think I might have to go tees, it'll look more cohesive in photos and we've got a family member who does tees for a living.